Cooling fan not working [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cooling fan not working

sierrafast
09-24-2010, 21:52
This is on my dell inspiron ei1505... The cooling fand suddenly just stopped working so I baught a new one and replaced it. I put everything back and started my laptop and the fan is still not working. Is there anything else causing the cooling fan no to turn on?

IndyGunFreak
09-24-2010, 21:55
Check the obvious stuff... Did you plug it in properly.. is it seated properly... Are you sure the fan is good.

If all that checks out, then the issue is obviously on the motherboard

fgutie35
09-24-2010, 21:55
try updating the BIOS and Chipset. If that doesn't work, then its time to buy a new motherboard.

sierrafast
09-24-2010, 23:55
This is the 2nd motherboard on this machine. How do you update the BIOS/Chipset and why would I need if the fan was turning on before with this same version of bios.

IndyGunFreak
09-25-2010, 05:36
This is the 2nd motherboard on this machine. How do you update the BIOS/Chipset and why would I need if the fan was turning on before with this same version of bios.

I wouldn't do that, until you've verified what the problem is. Start with hardware failure first.

A BIOS upgrade gone wrong is a great way to turn a laptop into a desktop ornament.

IGF

Sgt. Schultz
09-25-2010, 13:05
try updating the BIOS and Chipset. If that doesn't work, then its time to buy a new motherboard.

There have been a few occasions here on GT where a user having computers problems will ask for help and someone will suggest flashing the BIOS without explaining what can happen if it fails. OP you need to know that if the BIOS update fails for ANY reason (power surge, spike etc…) you may not be able to reboot your computer again.

I agree with IGF ... the BIOS should never be updated unless it will address the specific issues the user is experiencing ... when it comes to BIOS updates "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

fgutie35
09-26-2010, 17:15
There have been a few occasions here on GT where a user having computers problems will ask for help and someone will suggest flashing the BIOS without explaining what can happen if it fails. OP you need to know that if the BIOS update fails for ANY reason (power surge, spike etc…) you may not be able to reboot your computer again.

I agree with IGF ... the BIOS should never be updated unless it will address the specific issues the user is experiencing ... when it comes to BIOS updates "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I'm sorry for not being that clear on my advise. I'm assuming the OP has some kind of computer knowledge to perform the task which it may be wrong of me to do. I'm Dell Certified and many of the fan failures or fan erratic behavior is due to an outdated BIOS version. When you install drivers and firmware for other devices, and even some Windows Updates, it affects the funtionality of the fan since such updates or upgrades have batch files to call for fan speed control, specially for video cards to aid in cooling down the video card's onboard processor. You are correct on the fact that the OP need to check on the BIOS description of what fixes the update is going to perform before doing it, but either way sooner or later he is going to have to do it.:wavey:

grokdesigns
09-26-2010, 19:31
I had a problem with a laptop where the fan wouldn't work. It ended up being the control wire for the fan (how the motherboard tells the fan it needs to turn on). Never figured out whether it was the mobo or the fan, but I ended up wiring the fan power supply wires to a USB port. It makes the fan run all the time, but it never overheated again!

berniew
09-26-2010, 21:11
This is on my dell inspiron ei1505... The cooling fand suddenly just stopped working so I baught a new one and replaced it. I put everything back and started my laptop and the fan is still not working. Is there anything else causing the cooling fan no to turn on?

Have you verified with software that the fans won't spin?

Try something like

http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/

sierrafast
09-27-2010, 21:20
Have you verified with software that the fans won't spin?

Try something like

http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/

Thanks, I just did and fans won't start even after choosing the "force fans to high seep" option.