Buckshot and slug rounds in semiauto shotgun (hd/sd) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buckshot and slug rounds in semiauto shotgun (hd/sd)

jamaicanj
09-25-2010, 09:08
Good Day

Just looking for input on buckshot and slug recommendations for a semi auto shotgun for hd purposes. It seems that the TAP and federal ammo is quite popular. Input would be appreciated

Thanks

Z71bill
09-25-2010, 09:19
IMHO for 99% of homeowners it will not matter which buckshot (or slug) load you use -

Sure - always a good idea to test for function / pattern the load - but if it goes bang and cycles the gun you will be good to go.

In other words - the cheap value pack slugs & buckshot at Walmart will work just fine - and I would not hesitate for one second to load up my HD shot gun with them.

I bought a bunch of Remington buckshot on sale a couple years ago - it is what I use for HD -

But if I shoot it side by side with Walmart VP the result is basically the same - BIG holes in the target.

David Armstrong
09-25-2010, 11:21
+1 to Bill. As long as it feeds reliably pretty much any buckshot or slug will work. I'm partial to the reduced recoil stuff myself, but for most folks any of the quality brands will do fine.

MacG22
09-25-2010, 16:28
Some semi-autos can hiccup a bit with reduced recoil. Be sure to test it thoroughly if you make that choice.

Reduced is to be most trusted with pumps.

gnepig
09-25-2010, 22:41
At home defense distances of say 20 to 30ft, even bird shot could be deadly, but why chance that. Just load with 00B and to be sure you git-ur-done, cheap stuff or not the results will not differ enough to matter within the distance of the inside of your house.
That said, Different loads pattern differently in each shotgun, you'll have to buy some different kinds and try them yourself and make sure of what cycles reliably in your gun.

Reduced recoil would be better for pumps and Slugs seem better for use outside.

Ferdinandd
09-26-2010, 18:49
I prefer 00bk and have done a fair amount of load development and testing with it. You can select rounds with various degrees of pattern expansion, energy, etc, and figure out what's best for you. I like my own handloads that deliver very tight ~6" patterns at 25 yards. I think that slugs have way too much energy and penetration for HD, plus it's simply easier to miss with them...