glock sight installation question- is the front sight reusable? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : glock sight installation question- is the front sight reusable?

eb1ch
09-25-2010, 16:29
I have a glock that came from the factory with trijicon night sights. I wish to remove these sights and install them on another glock.

I know this works with the rear sight, does this work with the front? from the brief reading I have done seems like the front sight is basically ripped out of there and is no longer usable..

or maybe I'm way off

kilroy2721
09-25-2010, 16:36
If you take the slide off the receiver you will see under the front sight a screw. It will probably have Locktite on the threads, so be careful and get a full grip on that screwhead so you wont cuin the flats.

RottnJP
09-26-2010, 20:16
It'll be a little hex screw. If you are planning on re-installing the sight yourself, you'll want to get a front sight tool anyway, so make sure you get that before un-installing. Be warned that if it has red loc-tite showing, it's going to be a ***** and a half to get off.

You might want to let your gunsmith do if if you are buying the replacement sights for that pistol locally. (At least, my guy will do the install for free if I buy the sights from him. This can be a nice way to get around a sticky problem.)

The other thing to consider, is just getting new sights for the other pistol... TBH, this is what I've done most of the time. Tritium sights do have a finite life (half-life is 14 years) so if you've picked up a used pistol the tritium could be half-gone by now, depending when it was made. Heck, for a gen 2 or earlier, could be even dimmer than that.

texas 48
09-26-2010, 21:04
Get a 3/16 socket ( has to be thin) or a front sight tool and just unscrew it. I have done this dozens of times with screw front sights. Red locktite is not that stong that it cannot be done without a significant problem.

Ogie
09-26-2010, 21:43
Get the right tool for the job and then use blue loctite. I've never had a front sight that fell off after using blue loctite. Actually I use something called guntite, same stuff as the blue I'm pretty sure.

samurairabbi
09-26-2010, 21:54
Something to check: That Glock factory-installed front night sight is probably STAKED on, not screwed on. Glock is probably the only night sight supplier that does NOT use a screw fastening system. If this is the case on your gun, that front night sight is probably unuseable after it comes off the original slide. It is possible that it can be re-staked, or glued to a new slide, but this is at best a long shot.

nickhaaa
09-26-2010, 22:00
Something to check: That Glock factory-installed front night sight is probably STAKED on, not screwed on. Glock is probably the only night sight supplier that does NOT use a screw fastening system. If this is the case on your gun, that front night sight is probably unuseable after it comes off the original slide. It is possible that it can be re-staked, or glued to a new slide, but this is at best a long shot.
^^^
what he said. if yours has a hex screw, then use the front sight tool. my factory trijicon front night sights are staked on.

Ogie
09-26-2010, 22:59

The newer Glocks use a front sight screw.

I'm pretty sure that Glock front night sights from Glock have used a screw for quite a while now.