Hairbrain Idea or Not? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hairbrain Idea or Not?

Obi Wan
09-26-2010, 13:43
I recently picked up a box of Federal Hydra-Shok 124gr +P+ with the intention of using them for SD in my Kahr P9 instead of the 124gr +P Gold Dots I've been shooting. Unfortunately I don't have a chrono, so my thought was based on reading that the +P+ round in a shorter 3.5"-4" barrel would essentially be equivalent to the +P round in a standard 4.5" - 5" barrel. In addition, that the velocity from a longer barrel may be too fast to allow the bullet to expand.

Anyway, it wasn't until I opened the box that I determined that I had the old model Hydra-Shok versus the new design bullet without the center post.

Inasmuch as some reports claim the post can fail to work as designed when shot through a couple of layers of clothing, I got to thinkin'.... :whistling:

That is, would it be crazy to use something like silicone caulking to fill the hollow tip of the Hydra-Shok bullet, much like some of the new design bullets with the polymer tips?

Has this been done before and tested, or is it an inane idea??? :dunno:

Would it in any way affect potential liability for "altering" the original bullet design? And, thus, may not be worth the effort even if it makes sense???

This is a serious question, as crazy as it may sound. If it's nuts, kindly say so. If not, your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1 old 0311
09-26-2010, 13:48
The potential liability would SCARE ME TO DEATH. The only thing worse are the idiots with the "Make My Day" engraved on their slide.:crying::wow:

Obi Wan
09-26-2010, 14:07
... the idiots with the "Make My Day" engraved on their slide.:crying::wow:
Well, I do agree with you that the idjits who 'advertise' their tough-guy mentality with an engraving such as that appear to be asking for trouble.

While the question of liability did cross my mind, the fact that it would be an attempt to make the bullet perform better based on new design thinking made me wonder if it really wouldn't be a legal liability other than in some neo-Lib's mind. But, then, I'm not a lawyer... I just watch TV.

Hmm...

fredj338
09-26-2010, 16:08
Two things, the Fed loads isn't any faster in most pistols over the SGD load, regradless of it's +P+ deignation. Filling JHP w/ wax, silicone, etc has been done since JHP were available. Results are mixed, somethimes it works great, sometimes fails miserabley. Any slight edge you could get is just not worth the effort IMO. If you feel undergunned w/ the 9mm, step up to a bigger caliber.

cowboy1964
09-26-2010, 16:11
I'm undecided about +P+ or even +P in a 3" barrel. The velocity loss is so great I think they basically act like a standard pressure round. They really need 4"+ of barrel to get up to speed. Kind of like .357 Magnum. Anything less than a 4" barrel is wasting a lot of velocity.

I think I will probably go with Gold Dot 124gr in my PM9. It's easy to find.

Obi Wan
09-26-2010, 17:51
Two things, the Fed loads isn't any faster in most pistols over the SGD load, regradless of it's +P+ deignation.
That's good to know. I wish I had a chrono, but just never invested in one so I can only go on published reports or data.
Filling JHP w/ wax, silicone, etc has been done since JHP were available. Results are mixed, somethimes it works great, sometimes fails miserabley. Any slight edge you could get is just not worth the effort IMO. If you feel undergunned w/ the 9mm, step up to a bigger caliber.
Feeling "undergunned" isn't the issue since I'm thinking about trading my .40 in on another 9mm to simplify things, and don't own a .45 at this point.

In reality, I didn't go searching for this +P+ load out of feeling that my normal 124 gr +P Gold Dot loads wouldn't 'hurt' someone if need be. A friend decided to sell them and I'd just recently had read that the +P+ was best for the shorter barrels (Kahr P9, et), so I took them.

It sounds like I should forget my idea and leave them be.

Thanks.

fredj338
09-27-2010, 09:45
I'm undecided about +P+ or even +P in a 3" barrel. The velocity loss is so great I think they basically act like a standard pressure round. They really need 4"+ of barrel to get up to speed. Kind of like .357 Magnum. Anything less than a 4" barrel is wasting a lot of velocity.

I think I will probably go with Gold Dot 124gr in my PM9. It's easy to find.

But your std pressure GD is going to lose vel as well. The point of the +P is to maintain a higher vel level from the short bbl. So +P loads do give you higher vel than any std load in any short bbl, you'll get more flash & blast for it though.
In reality, I didn't go searching for this +P+ load out of feeling that my normal 124 gr +P Gold Dot loads wouldn't 'hurt' someone if need be. A friend decided to sell them and I'd just recently had read that the +P+ was best for the shorter barrels (Kahr P9, et), so I took them.
Unless he gave you enough to test fire at least one full mag form each of your carry mags, I wqould shoot it for practice ammo. If you have enoug ot test & still carry, that load is fine w/o mods. The HS, while not "new", still works.