Weak sister needs help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Weak sister needs help

jeremiahjj
09-26-2010, 21:20
I am trying to find a 9mm for a woman who is almost 70 years old. I showed her how to operate my G19 and G26 but she was not physically strong enough to move the slide back or field strip it. She also had difficulty loading the magazine with and without the Uplula mag loader. She's getting a CCW and wants to be armed for protection, but I can't in good conscience recommend that she carry something that she can't operate (meaning load, shoot, disassemble, clean, etc.) easily and safely. What other options are there for a woman like this? How a Kahr? I've been a shooter all my life but never held a Kahr in my hand. I'd be looking for a semi-auto. She's OK with a revolver, but... I'd like to move her into something with more capacity. Thoughts?

GlockGuru182
09-26-2010, 21:22
She might be stuck with a revolver. The recoil and mag springs are not much different in my glocks and my kahrs.

tango44
09-26-2010, 21:24
revolver for her!

robertwh
09-26-2010, 21:25
She might be stuck with a revolver. The recoil and mag springs are not much different in my glocks and my kahrs.

Yep! I agree with you 100%. She should purchase a Lady Smith 38 or similar type of revolver.

There isn't anything wrong with a good double action wheel gun any way.

nursetim
09-26-2010, 21:44
http://cobrafirearms.net/product-big-bore-derringers.asp
OR
http://cobrafirearms.net/product-patriot-series-380.asp

AZ Husker
09-26-2010, 21:51
As dependable as Glocks are, it wouldn't bother me to load it for her and let her carry away. Very doubtful that she'd ever need to reload and rack the slide, and you could clean it for her occasionally. I'd recommend sticking with the G19.

SIGlock
09-26-2010, 21:54
No need for "more capacity" in her case. Actually, in most self defense cases.....it has been reported that people don't really fire more than 1 or 2 rds. That's all. And the first round really count.

So, get her a revolver. Five to Six rounds in all she would ever need.

JoNxMeMpHiS
09-26-2010, 21:54
The Ruger LCR would be easy to clean and load, the standard version has a very nice padded grip, it's VERY light weight and has a great trigger.

My 10 year old Daughter says it's here favorite gun and she's a wimpy shooter.

D.S.Brown
09-26-2010, 22:06
Before you give her a revolver, you might want to consider how well she'll be able to manipulate an even moderate double action trigger pull. In a crisis, the fine motor skill of cocking the hammer would be difficult for an able bodied male half her age, reacting to the fight or flight response, let alone a physically limited seventy year old woman.

Similarly she may not possess the strength to properly manipulate a G19 without inducing a limp wristing malfunction.

With these two potential difficulties, she may be reluctant to practice with either anyway, especially if there is a significant amount of physical discomfort.

Might I suggest that you get her an ASP Defender that shoots the LE strength O.C. spray, 2,000,000 SHU's is likely to disuade most attackers, and it is not physically prohibitive to her. I would also consider buying her a small tactical style flashlight, so she could blind, tap, and then spray an attacker. By the time he realized that he got his butt handed to him by a "little old lady" she will be long gone, and the police will have picked up a guy, blinded, with snot running out of his nose, and a little "tattoo" on his forehead, (from hitting him on the forehead).

Just a suggestion. YMMV.

Best,

Dave

Folsom_Prison
09-26-2010, 22:13
I agree with her owning a revolver. But have you tried her gripping the slide tight and have her push the frame forward to chamber a round?? Just a idea.

rick458
09-26-2010, 22:28
If she cant manipulate a G-19, I honestly can't think of an apropriate firearm for her, I would thing the double action of a small revolver would require more hand strength than she posseses.
Just my opinion though.

janice6
09-26-2010, 22:33
My wife is 72 and has the same problem with racking the slide. She tried many possibilities and found a "tip up barrel" from the Beretta line. She likes the Beretta but still will shoot the S&W 642, .38.

Glock Whisperer
09-26-2010, 23:01
Can you take her to a range and rent handguns for her to try?

RottnJP
09-26-2010, 23:08
You might consider this: http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=NA&prodID=NAFCH1&prodTitle=Mako%20Group%20Glock%20Charging%20Handle

Won't help her take it down, but as has been said- You can clean it for her every six or 12 months depending how much she trains with it.

zoti
09-26-2010, 23:24
How about a Ruger LCP? small enough for a small woman hand. Easy to operate like a revolver. Easy to rack the slide.

You can clean it for her and if she can't rack the slide of the lcp then she should probably get a taser instead of a gun.

Alchemy
09-26-2010, 23:34
Another vote for a revolver. A slide operated automatic of any make
seems out of the question.

NonPCnraRN
09-27-2010, 00:51
Have her try a Ladysmith 38 spl. Load it with Penn 148 gr double bevel based wadcutters or if she can handle them the Penn .38 cal 230 gr Thunderheads. Both of those bullets are very blunt so you won't need a lot of velocity to make big holes in a BG. Plus, if the BG is staring at a cylinder full of Thunderheads the "pucker factor" is greatly enhanced. http://www.pennbullets.com/38/38-caliber.html

SARDG
09-27-2010, 02:27
I have a Kahr PM-9 and let an 82 year-old acquaintance shoot it, who was getting (and got) a CCW. He liked it a lot and bought one, even though he had just bought some small Ruger .357 revolver. Seems that after about 2 full cylinders shooting DA, he could no longer pull the trigger on the Ruger. That's why the Kahr was appealing. Now however, he has difficulty racking the Kahr slide and after a few mags at the range (which at least he is able to load and shoot), he begins limp-wristing with the resultant FTEs.

Indeed, in direct comparison... I believe the small Kahrs are harder to rack than the normal Glock. However, Glock makes nothing as easily concealable as the Kahr. (Don't start on me about easily concealing Desert Eagles, etc... the old guy just wants to put the thing in his pocket (w/ holster) and be done with it.)

Every wheel gun I've tried lately (including my Taurus .38 and this gentleman's Ruger) have had painfully heavy trigger pulls in DA. Perhaps OC is the answer...

We just had a local 92 Y.O. gentleman defend himself with a .25 auto. A b/g knocked him down on the ground and they were scuffling - but simply pulling the .25 from his pocket and displaying it got the b/g on the run. (Apparently he wasn't that BAD a Bad Guy.) Some of my LEO friends suggest my Kahr 9 mil would be just as affective if I were to throw it at the crook, than fire it. Seems more are carrying major calibers today.

NDCent
09-27-2010, 05:45
lady smith revolver

Jon_R
09-27-2010, 05:54
I have a co-worker with a disability and racking the slide on pistols he has tried have been to hard to do. I asked my wife to check everything I had and find the easiest to rack. Out of what I have it is a Berretta 92FS she said was the easiest. In addition you could get a weaker recoil spring for it. Just a thought if you want to stick to a semi-auto.

DonCT
09-27-2010, 06:02
Can o' Mace. Or a Ruger 10/22 with an extended mag. I wouldn't want to deal with 25 CCI Stingers.

Also, she has a cell phone right?

StarShip2100
09-27-2010, 06:21
640 centenial. Point and click. most basic and limited training required. Slap a crimson trace grip on it for more effect.

Or a ruger 22 mark 3. Load it with stingers, but teach her the safety issues and practice the safety so she doesnt forget.

Thunderbolt56
09-27-2010, 06:34
Wheelgun and mace gets my vote too. There are many folks who think they want a gun, when in reality, all they want to do is have the peace of mind even a deterrent like mace can provide.

If she's that slight of build and unlikely to practice, a simple revolver is the best firearm IMO, but perhaps a firearm is not her best choice.

jeremiahjj
09-27-2010, 07:37
As dependable as Glocks are, it wouldn't bother me to load it for her and let her carry away. Very doubtful that she'd ever need to reload and rack the slide, and you could clean it for her occasionally. I'd recommend sticking with the G19.

You know, that's what I thought too, but then I wasn't putting myself in the mind of a woman. If women like something, they like it. If they don't, they don't. This lady liked the G19 because it had a laser sight on it. But once she tried racking the slide it was instant dislike and nothing could change it. If she needed the gun because of danger I think she'd be reluctant to pick it up. A gun should be part of a person's psyche, and extension of who they are. It should feel as comfortable in her hand as a mirror. If she hates it, it won't ever feel like a mirror. So while I (the man) might think "G19 and I'll load and clean it for her," she would look at it as though it were an enemy, a rattlesnake waiting to strike. I think I'd better look around for a Lady Smith or Mod. 60 stainless. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

jeremiahjj
09-27-2010, 07:44
Have her try a Ladysmith 38 spl. Load it with Penn 148 gr double bevel based wadcutters or if she can handle them the Penn .38 cal 230 gr Thunderheads. Both of those bullets are very blunt so you won't need a lot of velocity to make big holes in a BG. Plus, if the BG is staring at a cylinder full of Thunderheads the "pucker factor" is greatly enhanced. http://www.pennbullets.com/38/38-caliber.html

Now you've got ME curious. I remember 200 grain bullets for .38 revolvers (cops mainly carried them in Smith 38s on a 44 frame), but never heard of a 230 grain bullet. I'll have to check that one out.

Linda
09-30-2010, 21:41
A Glock would be a poor choice for someone who potentially WILL limp wrist the gun. It will stove pipe everytime. Glock's hate limp wristing and it sounds like that will be an issue with her.

I'm with the ones who suggested a revolver. If someone can not rack the slide on a semi, they have zero business carrying a semi.

I saw the S&W Bodyguard at the NRA convention this year. Awesome little .380 w/ a built in laser. Far superior to the LCP or Keltecs. If I was ever inclined (I'm not) to get a .380, that is the one I'd go for.

jeremiahjj
10-01-2010, 08:04
A Glock would be a poor choice for someone who potentially WILL limp wrist the gun. It will stove pipe everytime. Glock's hate limp wristing and it sounds like that will be an issue with her.

I'm with the ones who suggested a revolver. If someone can not rack the slide on a semi, they have zero business carrying a semi.

I saw the S&W Bodyguard at the NRA convention this year. Awesome little .380 w/ a built in laser. Far superior to the LCP or Keltecs. If I was ever inclined (I'm not) to get a .380, that is the one I'd go for.

Thank you, Linda, I agree. I could tell watching my friend that guns did not come second nature to her. She wasn't comfortable with it, couldn't hold it right, had difficulty racking the slide, and I could just see her flinching every time she pulled the trigger. I think her husband came to the rescue by buying or adopting the G19 for himself. That will open up the possibility of another gun for his wife, which I would say might be a Smith Mod. 60 stainless in .38 or .357 caliber. I think even those may have been replaced by other Smiths. I also agree that a .380 is better than nothing, but not much better than a .22.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bren
10-02-2010, 17:57

Unfortunately, Glocks are NOT dependable for someone that weak - you would be giving her a 1-shot gun and the only remedy would then be the immediate action she can't perform, since she can't rack the slide. Glock is the most reliable gun I know...for a shooter. For a non-shooter and especially a weak one, the gun will move so much in recoil that it will fail to extract and eject about every time.

Try a S&W J frame revolver. My wife's grandmother is in her 80's and that's what she carries and used to shoot at a burglar in 2007. She also can't rack a semi-auto, but the revolver, even if she can't fire double-action, can always be cocked and fired and it takes no strength to reload.

jeremiahjj
10-02-2010, 19:27
Unfortunately, Glocks are NOT dependable for someone that weak - you would be giving her a 1-shot gun and the only remedy would then be the immediate action she can't perform, since she can't rack the slide. Glock is the most reliable gun I know...for a shooter. For a non-shooter and especially a weak one, the gun will move so much in recoil that it will fail to extract and eject about every time.

Try a S&W J frame revolver. My wife's grandmother is in her 80's and that's what she carries and used to shoot at a burglar in 2007. She also can't rack a semi-auto, but the revolver, even if she can't fire double-action, can always be cocked and fired and it takes no strength to reload.

I'm with you 100 percent! I'm recommending a Mod. 60 .38 or .357 in stainless steel. I have one myself (and also a Mod. 36 Chief Special in blue given to me when I retired -- I've never fired it!). But I love my Mod. 60 snub and it's the most concealable gun I own. Just a little light in capacity.