rem 870 safety reversal? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : rem 870 safety reversal?

kalifornia
09-27-2010, 12:50
Im left handed and looked into reversing the safety. I found a Fortmann's safety on Midway USA, but visually comparing that to the original I can't imagine how it would work. Anyone have experience using one? thanks

aippi
09-28-2010, 22:42
I have never seen one, don't know how it works. However, no company would design this and sell it if it did not work safely Midway would not carry it. Way to much liability issues with any after market products for anyone not to test these first. Remington is clear of anything relating to a AD due to the safety if this is used so Fortmann's would have done thier home work in spades before offering this.

The only other option is the right hand eject left hand safety trigger plate assembly from Remington and that is $84.00. So the Fortmann's looks promising. If you get it let us know how it works.

Bill Lumberg
10-03-2010, 06:44
Lots of companies sell unsafe gun parts, and while I really like midway, the fact that midway carries a part in no way ensures the parts are safe or functional. Find someone who has used it. I personnally stick with factory parts for the trigger group and safety. In many cases, service to these areas requires a trip to the factory, as they don't even want armorer's doing this type of work because of associated liability.

aippi
10-03-2010, 11:27
There is nothing the factory will do to change a right hand safety to left. It is just not done. The only option is the Right hand Eject/Left had safety trigger plate assembly and that is $86 retail from Remington. That is the best solution if he has that kind of money to spend. The part number is F112044

Bill Lumberg
10-03-2010, 12:33
He can buy that gun from the factory full on lefthanded. That may be his best option if he can't train himself to use a regular righthanded model.

aippi
10-03-2010, 13:13
Depends on the model Bill. Remington only makes one left hand 870 and it comes with the only left hand barrel they make, the 28" Vent Rib RC bead sight. He never said what the use of the weapon is. since no left hand barrels shorter then 28" are made, he has few options. As for Left hand Tacticals, the only one I know of making those is me. I also offer the RHEJ/LHS on any right hand tactical I build. The gun world is cruel to left hand shooters, always have been.

hikerpaddler
10-03-2010, 14:43
I have yet to find a shotgun or glock that I can't operate just as well as a righthander. It's cruel only to those who don't train.

kalifornia
10-16-2010, 18:46
I rather fix the problem, than train around it. Worst case I'll spend $15 for the Fortmanns safety. I just can't see how it wouldn't spin out of position in the housing. thanks guys

CAcop
10-17-2010, 16:54
One of my coworkers has the safety button rversed in an 870. I never got a chance to look at it. I can't remember if the factory did it or he found a smith to do it for him. I have heard of some PDs that have a mix of 870s like that.

When I had a 870 I used a pistol grip stock to get around the problem.

yesitsloaded
11-03-2010, 09:41
The only other option is the right hand eject left hand safety trigger plate assembly from Remington and that is $84.00. So the Fortmann's looks promising. If you get it let us know how it works.

I have 3 870's: two short barrels - have my stamps for them - and one 18" set up as a tactical, all with with left hand trigger plate assembly's (I am screwed up: left-eye dominant, but trained as a child to shoot pistols right handed and another teacher taught me to shoot rifles left handed).

Anyway, I bought right handed eject/safety 870's and had them converted by Hans Vang. I have hundreds of rounds through them each with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Rock solid reliability.

I tried a LH pump before I got my 870's and found that I was better at speed reloading as a lefty with a right-side sidesaddle using my left hand to hold the butt of the gun to my shoulder while my right hand did the reloading.

I am pretty competent but I would never mess around with something so integral as the firing/safety system. Do it right the first time and replace the works with factory using a competent, certified smith (like AIPPI for instance).

Hope that helps.