Ubuntu 10.10, Alpha 3 review [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 10.10, Alpha 3 review

IndyGunFreak
09-27-2010, 14:42
Well, it's that time of year again. Obviously, this release is still Alpha, so don't install it if you're not prepared to address problems. I've been running it a bit on my main desktop, and have some observations. 10.10 is scheduled for release next month(probably towards the end of the month)... so expect the beta and release candidates around Mid-October.

If you've used Ubuntu before, it'll be familiar to you... Funny, I thought I had read Ubuntu was going to Gnome 3.0, but it's still on Gnome 2.31... Not that that's a bad thing, I happen to really like current Gnome, but I've not used 3.0 yet either. Maybe 11.04 will have 3.0... but I'm a creature of habit, so I'm just fine w/ 2.31.

Software, etc.. is all pretty much the same as previous releases. Empathy still sucks.. ;). If you used the F-spot photo manager, it appears to have been replaced by something called Shotwell Photo Manager. I'm not really one for digital photo management software, but it seems similar to F-Spot. If you liked F-Spot, it's in the repositories, so have no fear, installing it is simply a few clicks away. Same with Pidgin or Kopete, since Empathy really sucks.

To me, the big change, is the installer.. it has been greatly improved.

1. It will let you install grub to any location you want. It's probably still easiest to just put it on the MBR, unless you're going to go to the trouble of creating a special boot partition for grub. This is gonna require you to pay a bit more attention while setting up your partitions though, as you don't want to stick grub on the wrong partition(although it's set to default on the mbr.. so as long as you don't change it, you'll be fine)

2. The installer will actually ask you if you want it to download multimedia codecs, flash, etc.. just before the install process. This has been a sticking point for some new users, even though it only took about 2min to address after you were installed. Now, you simply check a box before the install process starts, and all your multimedia stuff should work fine on the first boot, no additional install stuff necessary.

3. During the install process, you can actually choose to download updates (assuming your machine is connected to the internet).. so the first time you boot, your machine will be completely up to date.... Pretty cool thing. Now even if your CD is old, you can update your system during the install, rather than getting installed, and spending 30min updating.

4. It looks like you have the ability to encrypt your ubuntu filesystem out of the box, by simply checking a box.. Now I've never done that, and frankly don't have much use for it... it should be pretty easy to setup now.

5. It's still Purple.. I think Brown is finally a thing of the past.. ;)

There may be some "under the hood" stuff I've not caught yet, but for the most part, it's pretty similar to 10.04...

There you go.. ;)

IGF

IndyGunFreak
09-28-2010, 10:29
Was setting up another system today, and I think I found what could be a minor issue for some of the newer users, and oddly, it relates to the greatly improved installer.

When you're running the installer, and it comes time to partition the drive... .There used to be a "guided partition" tool. Which you could use to clear a certain amount of space, and it would partition that free space automatically for your new install.

Now.. when you get to the partition stage, you are presented w/ two options "Erase drive and install Ubuntu"... and "Advanced partitioning" and thats it... There is no guided partition tool now. Obviously, option 1 is not good for folks who want to install Ubuntu beside XP... and "Advanced" is enough to scare away most users from trying it.

That's a black mark IMO... hopefully they bring back the guided tool. I never used the guided tool, and always used advanced, so I didn't notice it the first time I installed.

IGF

kc8ykd
09-28-2010, 12:12
2. The installer will actually ask you if you want it to download multimedia codecs, flash, etc.. just before the install process. This has been a sticking point for some new users, even though it only took about 2min to address after you were installed. Now, you simply check a box before the install process starts, and all your multimedia stuff should work fine on the first boot, no additional install stuff necessary.

3. During the install process, you can actually choose to download updates (assuming your machine is connected to the internet).. so the first time you boot, your machine will be completely up to date.... Pretty cool thing. Now even if your CD is old, you can update your system during the install, rather than getting installed, and spending 30min updating.

these are really nice features, i'm really happy they've added 'em, i think these alone will bring in more new users.

hopefully, they can get the guided partition installer updated, i remember the first time i installed slackware, i had the cto of the entire company looking over my shoulder so i didn't screw it up. it was only for a headless console box to sit under my desk, but still.. i can't remember the ratio, but i remember making a swap, main and user partitions.

i think on my last install which was on an old cobalt raq1, i didn't bother making separate partitions since it was only an 80g disk and i had a second 80g disk for /user as well.

thanks for the review!

Linux3
09-28-2010, 20:15
Was setting up another system today, and I think I found what could be a minor issue for some of the newer users, and oddly, it relates to the greatly improved installer.

When you're running the installer, and it comes time to partition the drive... .There used to be a "guided partition" tool. Which you could use to clear a certain amount of space, and it would partition that free space automatically for your new install.IGF
Yes, but it's Alphaware, not even Beta yet. Lots of things can and will be missing.

IndyGunFreak
09-28-2010, 20:37
Yes, but it's Alphaware, not even Beta yet. Lots of things can and will be missing.

Hopefully, cuz like I said, I think that could be a turn off to some new users...

IGF

IndyGunFreak
09-29-2010, 07:36
Ok, found another one of those "WTF were they thinking" things.. while I guess this could be a nice option, it needs to be off by default, rather than enabled.

I setup Urban Terror and hopped on to play, and I noticed my number pad didn't work... I thought it was a UT problem, so I opened Open Office, and found it wouldn't output numbers there either(Numlock was on of course) So I fired up XP in Vbox, and it was working fine.. obviously it was a software issue w/ Ubuntu.

Took some looking, then figured out that by default, the number pad controls the cursor..lol. To change it back to normal(so you can use the number pad) go to System/Pref/Keyboard and click the "Mouse Keys" tab. Uncheck that box, and you'll have your number pad back.

IGF

Slug71
09-29-2010, 19:28
10.10 will be out on 10.10.10.

And we are Beta since Sept 2nd. Release candidate is out tomorrow(30th).

Slug71
09-29-2010, 19:34
BTRFS and Gnome3 will likely be in 11.04 Natty Narwhal and Banshee will likely replace Rhythmbox too.
Have my fingers crossed that Packagekit.d will replace aptdaemon as the backend to USC too.

IndyGunFreak
09-29-2010, 19:56
10.10 will be out on 10.10.10.

And we are Beta since Sept 2nd. Release candidate is out tomorrow(30th).

LOL.. they never keep their release dates... I'd be surprised if it's released by 10.10.... but it might. There's some bugs that need worked out... then some stuff that should work out of the box, that requires tweaking and configuring(ie, intelHDA microphone/headphone jacks)

Like I said though, I've had this since Alpha 3, and thus far, I like it.

I don't like Banshee or Rhythmbox, so I don't care what they do there.

Slug71
09-30-2010, 07:22
Yeh theres definitely a few bugs floating around still. Personally i think 10.10 is gonna get A LOT of flak.