slugs in a smooth bore [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : slugs in a smooth bore

plewi006
09-28-2010, 10:49
I was chosen for a feral hog hunt in a state park that requires the use of a shotgun. Not a problem, i have an 870. I have done some reading that suggests 00 buck shot might not cut it. So i know that every gun/ammo combo will act slightly different, but what can i expect from my 870 with a vent rib and a bead sight with a rifled slug. these to be more specific b/c that is what i could find in my area that was not a sabot.http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/slug.aspx?id=395

thanks for all of the help in the past

Jonesee
09-28-2010, 18:08
If you are shooting magnums, especially 3", expect a headache by the time you get the gun sited in and comfortable with it. The recoil is stiff.

Other than that, you just have to shoot and find out. In my experience slugs shoot differently from brand to brand and barrel to barrel.

vafish
09-30-2010, 19:29
You ought to be able to keep the slugs in a hog out to at least 50 yards.

But you need to try them in your gun.

I'm assuming you are hunting at Back Bay NWF or False Cape State Park.

I hunted down there once about 15 years ago. Saw one small piglet running through the grass and didn't get a shot at it. But guys in other zones seemed to be doing much better. Lots of little pigs were shot.

Big Bird
10-01-2010, 11:46
With decent open sights slugs in a smoothbore are good to 70 yards on a deer size kill zone (about 8")... You are wasting your money and getting beat to death with #" magnum slugs. At 70 yards and under a standard 12 guage slug will penetrate side to side any deer or hog you can find 9 times out of 10.

Jonesee
10-01-2010, 17:20
With decent open sights slugs in a smoothbore are good to 70 yards on a deer size kill zone (about 8")... You are wasting your money and getting beat to death with #" magnum slugs. At 70 yards and under a standard 12 guage slug will penetrate side to side any deer or hog you can find 9 times out of 10.

I agree, Except, he isn't hunting deer.

Deer are considered a thin skinned game animal, hogs are not. The hog skin is very tough. Their bone structure is much more sturdy.

Even on Michigan deer we use magnums through a rifled bore with a scope.

The OP can use whatever he is comforatble with. I believe in maximizing the odds of 1 shot 1 kill. and

Two_Clicks
10-01-2010, 18:33
I always had good accuracy with the federal rifled slugs when I still used a smoothbore. you really need to buy a few different kinds and see what shoots best though. They all shoot a little differently. Once you decide what you'll use and get them tuned in and don't clean the barrel till after your hunt.

I never believed in the magnum slugs the recoil and lack of accuracy turned me off.

I wish you luck and hope you enjoy the hunt, IMHO the feral hog I killed was the best pork I ever ate, post up some results!!

Big Bird
10-05-2010, 13:02
I agree, Except, he isn't hunting deer.

Deer are considered a thin skinned game animal, hogs are not. The hog skin is very tough. Their bone structure is much more sturdy.

Even on Michigan deer we use magnums through a rifled bore with a scope.

The OP can use whatever he is comforatble with. I believe in maximizing the odds of 1 shot 1 kill. and

I've shot over 13 wild boar and I disagree. True, their skin is a little tougher than a deer. But there isn't a board in the world that slugs will bounce off...

I've shot them with a handgun that has less than half the energy of a 12 gauge slug....

snakeman
10-05-2010, 17:49
I have shot alot of hogs with 12 ga 2 3/4" slugs and never had one get away. Find the slugs that are the most accurate in your gun and practice at different ranges untill you have it down. Good luck with the hunt and enjoy the meat if you get one.

snakeman

dbarry
10-05-2010, 19:30
I've shot over 13 wild boar and I disagree. True, their skin is a little tougher than a deer. But there isn't a board in the world that slugs will bounce off...

I've shot them with a handgun that has less than half the energy of a 12 gauge slug....

I haven't shot 13 (only two), but they were nice size ones (350+ pounders).

I have to laugh when guys say, that _______ gun wont work for wild boar. Baloney. My buddies gave me grief on my first boar hunt when I took the only rifle I had at the time - a .243. 1 bullet (100gr remington core-lokt) dropped that boar in its tracks. That same year (1983) someone wrote an article in a hunting magazine (too long ago to remember which one), and the author said he took a 30-30 boar hunting and the bullet bounced off. yeah right...

Read some old hunting books when they were still hunting with black powder - and those loads make handgun loads look anemic. They killed everything with those old charcoal burners...

That being said, the last boar hunt I was on, I used my 30-06. Dont ask me why I didn't take my 30-30 (if nothing else but for spite... maybe I was still influenced by that article I read 30 years ago... :O)

My favorite slug nowadays is remington reduced recoil slugs. Those will kill any hog in your path, guaranteed.

mpow66m
10-12-2010, 18:12
Try Federal Tru-Ball deep penetration 2.75 slugs,gonna use em for deer.blk bear and ferral hogs.have to shoot a few and see how they do,but shouldnt be no prob. at 50 yds.Tried fed.3'' slugs and 2.75 rem sluggers both shot fine out of my benneli nova.but my concern is blk bear the have fairly tough hides.

dbarry
10-12-2010, 18:42
Try Federal Tru-Ball

Those are awesome slugs! Hard hitting on both ends of the gun...

noway
10-14-2010, 07:34
As a hog hunter I have to disagree on the thick skinned being and issues. Personally we hun hogs in close in range and 70 yrds is a extreme shot for a field conditions with a slug on a hog size creature that stands 20" to 30" over the ground.

If your conditions are short, I would opt for 00 or triple Buck or even dixie tri-ball. If you want a good penetration buck the heavy than lead hevishot does wonders on hogs.

ZRiz19C
10-14-2010, 13:46
For whatever reason my 1187 with my smoothbore barrel hasn't shot any rifled slugs well at any range past 20-25yds or so. Buying a rifled slug barrel has been great and I now get sub 2inch groups at 100yds with sabots.