Ever frusterated with stock sights? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ever frusterated with stock sights?

Roering
09-28-2010, 15:13
So I'm moving my targets out a bit on my G23 and I find that I'm just not as accurate as I could be. My front sight is just so much larger than the target that it looks like I could move it left or right a bit and still be "on". Since I know this is not the case (the results proved it!) I wonder if it is time for better sights.

Has anyone else had similar results with their stock sights?

Anyone find improvements from an upgrade?

scprotector1
09-28-2010, 15:24
Yes the same thing for me with my G19. As i started progressing with my accuracy i started shooting steel plates about the size of a business card. The sights were so fat i couldnt see if i was on target or not...so i bought these:http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17150 The thread was not started by me but it gives a review of the sites with pics, everything the guy said about them is true my accuracy improved alot! Keep in mind though that if your bad at shooting due to trigger control and flinching these sights will not help at all. I think these are a good combination of target and combat sights. I also like that the rear sight does not have a white outline around the dots only the front sight does so it makes you want to focus on the front sight more. I love them i have always bought trijicons but they are just as fat. I would give them a try similar sight setups like these are sevigny carry sights and warren tactical i beleive.

Duck of Death
09-28-2010, 15:43
Here's what I did, Dawson Precision .160 fiber optic front (.125 wide) is compatible w/the 6.5mm rear sight on your G23. If you don't like the plastic rear a 6.5mm steel rear is available.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000C99-1278686009

http://www.firinglineguns.com/sights/lasers/glock/glock-fixed-rear-sight-6-5mm-steel/prod_74344.html

nastytrigger
09-28-2010, 15:46
Yes. Stock sights were too wide and I had taken some plastic off doing one handed manipulation (oops). I thought about Novak, but ended up with Heinie Straight 8 sights. Great sights! Highly recommend

GlocK_W0rK
09-28-2010, 17:03
I hate the stock sights.

mgs
09-28-2010, 17:04
They work just fine for what they were intended for, Mike.

robertwh
09-28-2010, 17:06
I love the Stock Sights but then I haven't tried anything else...so I can't be frustrated.

samuse
09-28-2010, 17:09
10-8s with the brass or tritium bead.:wavey:

Roering
09-28-2010, 17:28
Thank you for the input everyone, sounds like I may need to do some shopping!

Glolt20-91
09-28-2010, 22:40
I was racking the slide of my G17 using my boot heal on the rear sight; darned thing sheared off. Replaced the factory sights with an XS set-up; haven't tried them past 25 yards, but they are accurate at that distance.

Bob :cowboy:

sciolist
09-29-2010, 09:27
I think the OE sights work very well for their intended purpose, but it's much easier to shoot smaller targets or shoot from further back, with more gap between the F/S and the rear notch.

Roering
09-29-2010, 10:25
I was racking the slide of my G17 using my boot heal on the rear sight

Are you missing a hand?

matt c
09-29-2010, 11:00
the stock glock night sights are nice. The plastic sights are not. The u shaped white bar is quite distracting to me.

ron59
09-29-2010, 12:30
Warren-Sevigny Competition sights are pretty popular amongst competition shooters... I have a set.

The front sight is THIN!! This kind of allows you to see *around* it. It does take a little getting used to, the rear notch is much wider than the front blade. So you now have to center the front blade within the notch. But that is exactly what is required when you're seeking greater accuracy at distance... the ability to pinpoint where you're aimed.

JS_280
09-29-2010, 12:59
What's the intended purpose of this specific pistol, competition/target shooting or self defense?

Bren
09-29-2010, 13:20
So I'm moving my targets out a bit on my G23 and I find that I'm just not as accurate as I could be. My front sight is just so much larger than the target that it looks like I could move it left or right a bit and still be "on". Since I know this is not the case (the results proved it!) I wonder if it is time for better sights.

Has anyone else had similar results with their stock sights?

Anyone find improvements from an upgrade?

EVERYBODY wants to change the sights - $120 later they find out it's never the sights. Your accuracy problem is in your trigger control and grip. Virtually every new shooter has thought the same as you, which is why replacement sights are a big business for all guns, not just Glocks.

Forget the sights and work on the grip and trigger finger. You could solder a BB to the slide and line it up with a rear sight made out of a piece of tin can and have great accuracy, as long as your trigger control keeps the gun from moving at the moment the shot breaks.

mo.glocker
09-29-2010, 14:06
[QUOTE=Glolt20-91;16062195]I was racking the slide of my G17 using my boot heal on the rear sight; darned thing sheared off. Replaced the factory sights with an XS set-up; haven't tried them past 25 yards, but they are accurate at that distance.

Bob :crying:

mo.glocker
09-29-2010, 14:08
I was racking the slide of my G17 using my boot heal on the rear sight; darned thing sheared off. Replaced the factory sights with an XS set-up; haven't tried them past 25 yards, but they are accurate at that distance.

Bob :cowboy:
:dunno:

SIGlock
09-29-2010, 20:23
So I'm moving my targets out a bit on my G23 and I find that I'm just not as accurate as I could be.

By the law of physics, your group will naturally gets larger as your target get farther away from you. What are you expecting? The groups to stay the same size regardless of the distance?

Yes, Glock front sight is rather wide....but it works perfectly. You see: The centerline of the front sight is still the center line of the front sight. More reason to focus on the front sight.

Change your front sight to a thinner blade WILL NOT improve your accuracy. It is more important that the "gap" between the front and rear sight is very small. And that is exactly what Glock front sight is trying to do.

SIGlock
09-29-2010, 20:31
What's the intended purpose of this specific pistol, competition/target shooting or self defense?

ALL of these above.
I actually use my 100% stock Glock for bullseye target competition. I prefer my 100% Stock Glock for such game. It shocks people to the core when they see me shoot. The 1911 people just speechless and turn green with envy. No one can beat me since 1995 at my indooor range for bullseye regardless what pistol they use. I just wish Glock Company hire me as their spokeman.

SIGlock
09-29-2010, 20:37
[QUOTE=Glolt20-91;16062195]I was racking the slide of my G17 using my boot heal on the rear sight; darned thing sheared off.

Never heard such a thing. The rear Glock plastic sight is pretty tough. But I guess it could happen to you. Now, the front sight is somewhat flimsey. I don't mind the front sight being too wide. I just wish it is made out of metal instead of plastic for more durability....from hostering the guns.

Brucev
09-29-2010, 20:41
Very satisfied with the stock sights on my G-22. Very easy to see and use especially in the field. On a target range I like the white on the front sight as it makes getting hits on a black target easy. Still for HD, etc., I may go ahead and go to tritium night sights or maybe a lazer such as substitutes for the recoil guide rod.

zigzagg321
09-29-2010, 20:45
the stock glock night sights are nice. The plastic sights are not. The u shaped white bar is quite distracting to me.

This.

Folsom_Prison
09-29-2010, 21:28
I'm pretty happy with my stock sights.

A.J.

Duece McCracken
09-29-2010, 21:37
Hated my stock plastic sights, they got slightly damaged, which annoyed me more than anything else. Also my front site inlaid white dot was kinda not as round and not centered that well, it seemed to ride high. Which isn't that big of a deal it just doesn't work well with my eyes. So I said goodbye to the stock sights, ordered Trijicons for ccw/sd on my G20, and now I patiently am waiting for my 10mm back from the gunsmith. ;)

Rusty Shackleford
09-30-2010, 10:39
EVERYBODY wants to change the sights - $120 later they find out it's never the sights. Your accuracy problem is in your trigger control and grip. Virtually every new shooter has thought the same as you, which is why replacement sights are a big business for all guns, not just Glocks.

Forget the sights and work on the grip and trigger finger. You could solder a BB to the slide and line it up with a rear sight made out of a piece of tin can and have great accuracy, as long as your trigger control keeps the gun from moving at the moment the shot breaks.

Wow, that's a lot of assumption there. You don't know what range he's shooting at, the size of his target, or the goal for his group size, but you know exactly what his problem is?

What you're saying is much like saying a 10MOA red-dot sight is capable of the same accuracy as a 1moa red-dot sight as ranges increase or targets get smaller, and that for all shooters if that's not true, they're doing something wrong.

If the reference you're using for aiming is larger than your whole target, it's hard to put rounds into a specific point inside the target. I feel that a smaller front blade is easier to use a reference than the perceived center of a larger blade.

Trigger control and grip are important, but suggesting that sights can't improve accuracy is just plain silly. That said, for my purposes (CoM hits at justifiable SD distances) I find the stock sights to be just fine.

silverbear
09-30-2010, 10:44
They were ok. Replacing with Ameriglo i-dots. gl-201

sigchaser723
09-30-2010, 14:27

Thats not always true I can shoot much better with the Warren Sevigny Carry Sights I have now then I ever could with the stock sights. They just dont work well for some people. I do agree that trigger control and grip are important but so is a good clean sight picture and while the stock sights work for some they dont for me.

mnglocker19
09-30-2010, 17:31
I've never had an issue with the stock sights. I just wish Glock would have put on steel ones, worried that one of these days I'm going to break mine.:cool: