Mosin Nagant Deer Hunting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Nagant Deer Hunting

Adjuster
09-29-2010, 08:27
Been a few hunting threads posted in anticipation of the upcoming season. Just curious anyone hunting this year with a Mosin Nagant?

BurkGlocker
09-29-2010, 14:38
I was going to take mine out a couple of trips just to see if I actually get something with it. For a military rifle, its as accurate as some of my other rifles. I wanted to put a scope on it, but I think I will take it out as is, iron sights and all.

Going to get some 154 gr SP to feed it, and we'll see what comes out of it.

Burk

bustedknee
09-29-2010, 18:43
I've owned a couple, neither of mine were hunting quality.

Unless used at "archery" distances.

But if I had an accurate one, it would be fun.

pennlineman
09-29-2010, 20:19
I wanted to last year but backed out. My Rifle hits about 10-12" at 100 yds and my carbine hits high and left. For deer hunting I want a gun to hit where I aim it.

There is no doubt the rifle has enough power. I just need to work on getting to hit where I want it to. A guy on another web site suggested sliping a piece of rubber tubing stripped off of a piece of copper wire over the front sight to raise the front sight thusly lowering the point of impact. I may try this, seems like a good quick/temporary fix without altering the gun. Also the front to my knowledge can be drifted to adjust windage.

It would be neat to take a deer with one of these.

jdavionic
09-29-2010, 20:40
I might. It will either be my M38 or Enfield. Both are fine.

GlockSupremacy
09-29-2010, 20:46
I plan on using my Finnish m39, if i can work up a decent load for it.... on second thought i might just buy a box of ammo for it.

Where i hunt it is too easy with a 10x scope, i look forward to the iron sight challenge.

vafish
09-30-2010, 19:27
I have an M44, but probably won't take it out this season.

I'm working on handloads for my new deer hunting toy, an AR15 chambered in .25-223.