Need advice please [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need advice please

keninnavarre
09-29-2010, 09:06
Hey, folks. I'm hoping someone can give me a little advice on a problem I'm having when downloading scanned documents from an email.

I receive scanned real estate documents to my email daily. One of my clients that I deal with on a regular basis has his signature on most pages. The problem is that his signature doesnt show up on my computer, my wife's computer, the only exception is my assistant's computer. She has to download the contracts,print them, scan them and send them to me.

I have even tried the computers in our main office, in a different location. Same problem. Its like this guy is using invisible ink. Yet it shows up on my assistants computer. Any ideas?

Edited to add info.

This is his actual ink signature, and is scanned at his office, and emailed to mine. His ink signature shows up on no one's computer when the scans are downloaded, with the exception of my assistants computer.

Thanks!

jms123
09-29-2010, 09:32
It maybe that this guy is using a special font for his signature that your assistant has loaded her computer. I would check that first.

keninnavarre
09-29-2010, 09:39
It maybe that this guy is using a special font for his signature that your assistant has loaded her computer. I would check that first.

I may not have made myself clear in my first post. This is his actual ink signature, and is scanned at his office, and emailed to mine. His ink signature shows up on no one's computer when the scans are downloaded, with the exception of my assistants computer.

Thanks, I'm going to edit my frist post to include this info.

JimmyN
09-29-2010, 13:31
A page scan is a single image, it's a 'picture' of a page. You can do the same thing with a camera. I don't see how part of the image wouldn't be visible to you.

The scan would be an attached .tif, jpg, png, or bmp image. Is that what you are getting? If I understand you correctly you can open this attached image file, but the signature doesn't appear, but if your assistant opens that same .tif, jpg, png or bmp image she can see the signature? That doesn't seem possible.

But you also say your assistant has to "download" the contract, print it, scan it, then send it to you. So she is not getting a scanned page image attached to an email as you are?

IndyGunFreak
09-29-2010, 13:56
A page scan is a single image, it's a 'picture' of a page. You can do the same thing with a camera. I don't see how part of the image wouldn't be visible to you.

The scan would be an attached .tif, jpg, png, or bmp image. Is that what you are getting? If I understand you correctly you can open this attached image file, but the signature doesn't appear, but if your assistant opens that same .tif, jpg, png or bmp image she can see the signature? That doesn't seem possible.

But you also say your assistant has to "download" the contract, print it, scan it, then send it to you. So she is not getting a scanned page image attached to an email as you are?

What Jimmy said..

Everything the OP said, doesn't add up.

DoubleWide
09-29-2010, 18:02
Is the signature a separate image? Can you send a no image email to your assistant and she can see it? I was thinking it is a separate image that is being blocked by your email or firewall. Does he use a special program or service for the signature.

keninnavarre
09-29-2010, 20:43

Jimmy, the attached images come in to our emails as a PDF file. We are all going through the same procedure. First we tried printing from PDF, my assistant's computer picks up the ink signed signature. Then we downloaded and saved the doc, with the same results. We can all actually see the signature on my assistant's computer when the PDF is opened, but not on our computers. We are all puzzled.

Its as if the image is higher resolution, or darker from my assistant's computer. The signature image is clear on the PDF as seen on one computer, but not on any of the other computers. Doesnt make sense to me, but I'm sure there is an explanation. I'm just sure I cant find it on my own...:embarassed:

Pierre!
09-29-2010, 21:13
Does the signature print?

And...

Do you all have the same version of Flash installed? Seems to me that Flash has become a critical part of some Adobe Acrobat features...

You can check the version using this link:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html
When it takes you to the search result window, pick the link that says "Find Flash Player version - Adobe" and the page will display the current version of Flash for the browser in use...

Let us know what happens please...

StuntPilot
09-30-2010, 05:10
Are you all using the same PDF reader? I use this one, instead of adobe:

http://www.tracker-software.com/

Last week I discovered a problem similar to yours. Certain parts of the page would not print, or display on the screen.

I will have to try adobe acrobat now.

keninnavarre
09-30-2010, 05:25
Thanks for the advice so far. I will try these suggestions and post the results.

JimmyN
09-30-2010, 06:47
So what you are receiving is a pdf file rather than a scanned image. They are likely creating the pdf from the original document, plus an image of the signature. That would explain why the image could be missing, but the text is there. It's not a single scanned image, but a pdf created from a text document plus an image.

Is your assistant using Adobe Standard or Professional, and you are using Reader, or vice versa? It would seem to be an image rendering problem due to the way if was formatted in the pdf. Which versions of Adobe are you using?

When you say you downloaded the 'doc' was that also a pdf, or something like a Word doc with the signature image inserted? I would assume they are providing it only as a locked pdf, since it is a contract document and that would prevent you from making any changes to the text.

If your client is using Adobe Indesign to create the pdf it may not be compatible with your version of Reader, Standard, or Professional. Indesign includes things that older versions don't understand, so portions could be missing. Possibly your assistant is using a newer version of Reader that can deal with the Indesign features?

Toyman
09-30-2010, 07:40
The sender might be saying he's signing them when he's not.

If he's really signing then scanning them, I don't see how it would be possible for the signature to show up for one person and not the other as it's just an image embedded in the PDF.

It really sounds like a PDF layer problem. Compare the signatures on several documents that your assistant prints. If they are identical it means that the sender is superimposing an image of his signature on the PDF document (been there, done that), and your PDF reader isn't processing it the same.

What you could do is have him write something on a dummy document and send it to you, then you could post that for us to take a look at. (if it exibits the same phantom problem).