Ubuntu 10.10 or stay with 10.04 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 10.10 or stay with 10.04

Linux3
09-30-2010, 06:22
Ubuntu 10.04 is a LTS, Long Term Support, version.
I'll try 10.10 Beta and maybe the release on a couple of systems but for anything that does real work ya gotta love the LTS.

I have helped a bunch of friends set up their systems to run Ubuntu 10.04 and I think I will encourage most of them to stay with it.

Much too often there are problems with version upgrades and for my semi-clueless, in a Linux sense, friends stability and lack of issues is best.

That being said, I seldom follow my own advice.

wct097
09-30-2010, 06:24
I upgrade all three of my Ubuntu boxes whenever the latest release comes out. It's always seemless for me, but then again I run the server OS without a GUI. I tend to stay away from Beta releases of anything that isn't fixing a critical problem I have.

IndyGunFreak
09-30-2010, 07:02
Ubuntu 10.04 is a LTS, Long Term Support, version.
I'll try 10.10 Beta and maybe the release on a couple of systems but for anything that does real work ya gotta love the LTS.

I have helped a bunch of friends set up their systems to run Ubuntu 10.04 and I think I will encourage most of them to stay with it.

Much too often there are problems with version upgrades and for my semi-clueless, in a Linux sense, friends stability and lack of issues is best.

That being said, I seldom follow my own advice.

LOL... 10.10, even in it's current form, isn't bad, but it's not a dramatic improvement over 10.04 that is a "gotta run out and get it" upgrade.

In your situation(and I am w/ some folks) unless the upgrade would fix a specific problem, I'd leave them w/ 10.04.

It's been working perfectly on my desktop for about 2 weeks... most of the quirks I have ran into have been on my laptop... but I'm fairly experienced using this system as a Desktop OS, so it's been stuff I could work through.

I'd leave them on 10.04 unless you need to fix something.

Slug71
09-30-2010, 07:24
LOL... 10.10, even in it's current form, isn't bad, but it's not a dramatic improvement over 10.04 that is a "gotta run out and get it" upgrade.

In your situation(and I am w/ some folks) unless the upgrade would fix a specific problem, I'd leave them w/ 10.04.

It's been working perfectly on my desktop for about 2 weeks... most of the quirks I have ran into have been on my laptop... but I'm fairly experienced using this system as a Desktop OS, so it's been stuff I could work through.

I'd leave them on 10.04 unless you need to fix something.

This.

There really isnt enough in 10.10 to upgrade. I would wait and upgrade to 11.04. I would do a fresh install with 11.04 though and use the BTRFS filesystem.

GIockGuy24
09-30-2010, 10:39
The 2.6.32 kernel in 10.04 fixed most of the hardware issues with older versions, like full 3D function with ATI video. The 2.6.35 kernel in 10.10 does add functionality to the AMD power saving modes. To somebody with an AMD laptop that runs on battery a lot, the newer version might be some help. Other than that, there doesn't seem to be much to gain.

Linux3
09-30-2010, 12:35
There really isnt enough in 10.10 to upgrade. I would wait and upgrade to 11.04. I would do a fresh install with 11.04 though and use the BTRFS filesystem.
I am very interested in BTRFS. The chief developer gave a talk at our LUG a while ago and it sounds impressive.

I have been using XFS on my servers and while faster and mostly better than ext4 it too has limitations.

If zfs were ported..... sigh.

Slug71
09-30-2010, 14:32
I am very interested in BTRFS. The chief developer gave a talk at our LUG a while ago and it sounds impressive.

I have been using XFS on my servers and while faster and mostly better than ext4 it too has limitations.

If zfs were ported..... sigh.

Yeh it seems a lot of linux users would like ZFS.
I havent really experimented with the different filesystems but im looking forward to BTRFS. I think once all the distros have adopted it by default and gets a couple years behind it, it will be a good FS,

Slug71
10-10-2010, 20:06
10.10 Maverick Meerkat is out. :wavey:

srhoades
10-10-2010, 20:42
I just upgraded to 10.10 from 10.04 on my netbook and it took an eternity, over 3 hours not including the download. By far the longest any upgrade has taken.

IndyGunFreak
10-11-2010, 02:37
I just upgraded to 10.10 from 10.04 on my netbook and it took an eternity, over 3 hours not including the download. By far the longest any upgrade has taken.

Just curious, are you using the NBR(Unity) desktop, or are you running a normal Gnome/KDE/XFCE desktop? During the beta, I'd visit the beta channel on IRC... I generally was a pretty active participant once it hit alpha 3... but I'd bet 90% of the problems there, somehow related back to folks who were using Unity. Even up to a few days ago, people were having a lot of problems "upgrading"... and folks familiar w/ the using Unity, were recommending clean installs, or just stick w/ 10.04 if it was working ok. There were more than a few complaints of borked upgrades.

So if you got it upgraded, you probably did all right.... even at 3hrs.. ;). I clean installed a normal Ubuntu w/ Gnome onto my Netbook, and it went fine.

IGF

srhoades
10-11-2010, 07:50
Just curious, are you using the NBR(Unity) desktop, or are you running a normal Gnome/KDE/XFCE desktop? During the beta, I'd visit the beta channel on IRC... I generally was a pretty active participant once it hit alpha 3... but I'd bet 90% of the problems there, somehow related back to folks who were using Unity. Even up to a few days ago, people were having a lot of problems "upgrading"... and folks familiar w/ the using Unity, were recommending clean installs, or just stick w/ 10.04 if it was working ok. There were more than a few complaints of borked upgrades.

So if you got it upgraded, you probably did all right.... even at 3hrs.. ;). I clean installed a normal Ubuntu w/ Gnome onto my Netbook, and it went fine.

IGF

Standard default Ubuntu desktop. In all fairness the upgrade required over 1400 packages. I'm pretty sure that is quite a bit more then when I did the last upgrade.

GenX
10-11-2010, 08:07
Standard default Ubuntu desktop. In all fairness the upgrade required over 1400 packages. I'm pretty sure that is quite a bit more then when I did the last upgrade.

Last weekend, I did the the network upgrade and it was 1300+ packages. Stayed at the ubuntu splash screen and wouldn't boot, so back to 10.04. Yesterday did the the network upgrade, only 1100 packages this time. Worked fine, then later did a fresh install of Maverick.

Mad Kaw
10-11-2010, 09:24
Phoronix ran benchmarks comparing 10.10 with 10.04 LTS. Interesting results. On most applications 10.10 showed marginal performance improvements. File system intensive apps got a dramatic improvement with 10.10, graphics heavy apps actually regressed a bit. They blamed the graphics driver (Intel) which hadn't yet had the latest version folded into 10.10.
The performance increase was accompanied with a spike in power usage.

Linux3
10-11-2010, 18:40
This afternoon I upgraded my Asus 1005HA and it took about 1 hour.
I have UNE installed but I did the upgrade booting into Gnome.
After the install I booted with Unity and it's pretty sweet.
Very un-cluttered and easy to work with.

GIockGuy24
10-11-2010, 20:26
I have 10.04 netbook remix on my netbook. My desktop still has 9.10 Xubuntu as making a boot floppy in 10.04 doesn't work. I'm going to try to install 10.10 Xubuntu on both computers.

Linux3
10-12-2010, 08:20
I have 10.04 netbook remix on my netbook. My desktop still has 9.10 Xubuntu as making a boot floppy in 10.04 doesn't work. I'm going to try to install 10.10 Xubuntu on both computers.
You can upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10 but not from 9.10.

To install Xubuntu:
Open a shell (terminal)
Type:
sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop

Can you use a USB stick?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

GIockGuy24
10-12-2010, 15:11
You can upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10 but not from 9.10.

To install Xubuntu:
Open a shell (terminal)
Type:
sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop

Can you use a USB stick?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

The desktop is a dual boot with Windows. It has Xubuntu 9.10 with grub on a floppy. It can not boot from USB. The netbook has 10.04 Ubuntu Netbook Edition with grub on the hard drive. I think I'll install 10.10 Xubuntu on both. The alternate install CD allows putting grub on a floppy but this didn't work with 10.04, even though the option is there. The netbook can boot from USB. I have the 10.10 CD iso downloaded, so a clean install is easy enough.

Slug71
10-12-2010, 19:45
11.04 Natty Narwhal gates are open. :supergrin:

IndyGunFreak
10-12-2010, 20:30
11.04 Natty Narwhal gates are open. :supergrin:

Has the ISO been even released yet?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyReleaseSchedule

IGF

Slug71
10-12-2010, 22:20
No, there wont be an ISO until Alpha 1, but you can edit all your sources in etc/apt/sources.list by replacing 'maverick' with natty and then running

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgradebut there really isnt much point yet until the toolchain gets uploaded on the 21st.

Forum is go too.

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=394

IndyGunFreak
10-13-2010, 04:53
No, there wont be an ISO until Alpha 1, but you can edit all your sources in etc/apt/sources.list by replacing 'maverick' with natty and then running

but there really isnt much point yet until the toolchain gets uploaded on the 21st.

Forum is go too.

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=394

Ah OK... I usually don't get involved in testing till later in the Alpha phases/Early Beta... I always figured before the ISO came out, testing was kept behind closed doors.

IGF

Linux3
10-13-2010, 09:14
The netbook can boot from USB. I have the 10.10 CD iso downloaded, so a clean install is easy enough.
I just used the Update Manager to update my Asus 1005HA.
Update the system then select to 'Check' again and you will have the option to update the OS.

Worked fine for me and I usually am not a fan of version updates. I would rather wipe and install but I think Ubuntu has it right now.

GIockGuy24
10-13-2010, 12:02
I just used the Update Manager to update my Asus 1005HA.
Update the system then select to 'Check' again and you will have the option to update the OS.

Worked fine for me and I usually am not a fan of version updates. I would rather wipe and install but I think Ubuntu has it right now.

My MSI Wind has Ubuntu Netbook edition 10.04. I'm going to try Xubuntu 10.10 on it. The desktop has Xubuntu 9.10 with grub on a floppy.

GIockGuy24
10-13-2010, 16:34
Well putting grub on a floppy with 10.10 failed the same as it did with 10.04. It works fine in 9.10.

Slug71
10-13-2010, 16:50
Why have grub on a floppy?

GIockGuy24
10-13-2010, 16:58
Why have grub on a floppy?

It's a dual boot with Windows. The MBR has the Windows bootloader. To boot Linux, insert the floppy. A couple of reasons. One is not all family members are happy using grub to boot Windows. The major reason though is grub is harder to overwrite than Lilo. One time tried to overwrite grub and instead, what happened was the new bootloader installed but the old grub was still on the hard drive next to it. It really slowed boot up for some reason although the new bootloader was the only working one and the only that couple be seen at boot.