Cheapest source for Golden Sabre? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest source for Golden Sabre?

cowboy1964
09-30-2010, 08:38
Best price I've seen for GS is still quite a bit more than 50 rounds boxes of Gold Dots, Rangers, HSTs.

Who has the best deal on GS, if you don't mind leaking the secret?

tx787
09-30-2010, 16:10
Depending on the caliber ammunitiontogo.com has some good prices. You're probably not going to find it as well priced as the 50 round LE boxes of Gold Dots, Rangers, and HST becuase it's not distributed for civilian sales (the companies set different prices for LE and there no excise tax).

To fairly compare GS to Gold Dot you need to look at Gold Dot "Personal Protection" in 20 round boxes.

That being said, in absence of the current sale on 50 round boxes of Gold Dots at ATG 2 25 round boxes of GS would be cheaper in 45 ACP.

fastbolt
09-30-2010, 17:23
This is a hard question to answer. In places where internet sales of ammunition are permitted it's still not always easy.

How do you know if the ammo being offered is something that ended up on the wholesale market because it was rejected under a LE contract for failure to meet a bid spec ... or the agency simply changed their mind and didn't complete the sale for whatever reason ... or the agency sold off older ammo stock when changing calibers (and who knows the conditions under which it was stored) ... or it's some new production that ended up available in a one-time special procurement? I've become a bit leery of special procurements of ammo available online over the years.

You might look and see if any of your local cop shops sell ammo, and if so, if they sell Remington Golden Sabre. Sometimes a dealer who handles wholesale ammo orders that are direct drop-shipped (from manufacturer to agency) may still handle some in-store ammo sales. They probably won't offer the same discounts as they do for contract, letterhead or special orders, but sometimes they might still offer a discount over the retail prices charged in public gun stores.

It's hard to identify whether a GS lot was made for LE sale or commercial production just by it coming in 25 rd or 50 rd boxes, too. The .45 & 9mm GS my former agency receives for LE production comes in 25 rd boxes, but the .40 started arriving in 50 rd boxes after some orders had been arriving in 25 rd boxes. Probably just a matter of convenience for the factory depending on what packaging is available, perhaps.

The price of large GS orders placed by agencies has run in the range of just over $100/case to just under $100/case (no tax), FWIW. Smaller orders can end up costing more because of the smaller quantities if there isn't a fixed contract price in effect. Depends on what channels the agency uses to obtain the ammo. It usually retails for a lot more, of course.

GhostFace
10-01-2010, 10:26
My dept has several cases advertised on Gunbroker, I'm not sure what they are asking for it but I could find out. This was never issued and is available in cases only. Calibers are .380 ACP, 9mm (124 grn) and .45 ACP ( 185 grn +P). PM if interested...