AA .22 Conversion - Which Brand of .22's? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AA .22 Conversion - Which Brand of .22's?

TORCHRIDER
09-30-2010, 13:10
I just purchased a new Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit for my G19/23. AA says to use CCI Mini Mags, Remington Gold Bullets and Federal Automatch.

For those that own and shoot these kits:

Do you find the AA kits feed these rounds the best?

Are any of the recommended rounds better than others?

Are there any not recommended by AA that you find work well?

Any other insights?

Thanks! :wavey:

keadymike
09-30-2010, 13:15
I have had one for my G26 for four months and over 2000 rounds of only Rem GB (Walmart pac) with only ONE FTF last time out (faulty primer). I clean and generously lube after 200 rounds. Great kit!

Search for many opinions that are mostly positive.

Flipz
09-30-2010, 14:34
I use Remington Golden Bullets exclusively in my AA kit. It functions with 99% reliability with the GB's. I pick them up from Walmart in the 550 value packs for around $19. I usually shoot 300 rounds each range session and have an average of 3 malfunctions. Last weekend I had 2 FTE's and 1 dud.

To me 99% reliability out of a .22lr conversion kit is fantastic. It's a great kit.

bentbiker
09-30-2010, 15:17
I think most people use the 36gr HP Golden Bullets from Walmart because it is the lowest priced round that works reliably. Almost everybody reports about a 1% failure rate. There is a thread in the rimfire forum where polishing supposedly increases reliability for nearly all brands. I don't feel the need to try it.

If you can find the 40gr RN Golden Bullets, they should afford the absolute best reliability since that is precisely the recommended round. A better profile on the bullet and a bit more energy. However, you will probably pay close to $30 for 500 rds -- so 50% more than the HP's.

Glock21Owner
09-30-2010, 19:14
Remington Golden Bullets are the only rounds that have fed and fired reliably in my 26

JoeInKS
09-30-2010, 19:21
It's actually a rather strange answer for me. I initially started shooting the kit with CCI Mini Mags for 200 rounds thinking that I should 'break it in'. No problems whatsoever. Thankful. I then did the cheap thing.......... purchased the Remington Golden Bullet 550 Bonus pack as recommended. The number of issues with the ammo has been negligible for over 2000 rounds.

Now for the weird part.........

Remington Golden Bullets are about the least reliable ammo when I use it in my other .22's including Ruger MkIII, MkII, S&W 22a-1 and 41, Walther SP22, etc.

Not sure what gives concerning these strange results.

RichardB
10-01-2010, 08:02
Remington Golden Bullets work well in my G19 conversion. I tried other brands during the ammo drought; they jammed in the AA and I wound using them as revolver only ammo.

five-0
10-02-2010, 07:41
I have an AA G19 conversion.

What has worked 100%...
Remington Golden Bullets (bulk pack)
Remington Target Velocity
CCI Mini-Mags
CCI Subsonics (even though the manual says they won't)

What doesn't work (I couldn't get through a mag full)...
Wichester (bulk pack...in fairness, this crap jammed up EVERY semi-auto .22 I own)
Federal (bulk pack)