Old HP desktop [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Old HP desktop

cosmose
09-30-2010, 13:46
i have a old Hp desktop,( i have not used it in several years) i was trying to get it going for my brother to use. but it will not turn on. i mean nothing no lights or sounds whatsoever.any idea on what it could be? or what i could do to get it going? i did take the cover off and blow it out with compressed air. but is wasn't really that dusty:dunno:

IndyGunFreak
09-30-2010, 13:55
Well, No power, no nothing(no fans spinning, etc..) immediately suggests a power supply issue... Could be the actual power supply, could be the power cord, could be outlet...

Check the little black switch on the power supply on the back of the PC(has a - and a 0 on it)... Flip the switch, and try to turn the machine on... if that doesn't work...

Open the case up, and there's a cable that goes from the power supply, to the motherboard. It's a fat, white connector(sometimes black)... See if it is loose.

IGF

Slug71
09-30-2010, 14:37
Well, No power, no nothing(no fans spinning, etc..) immediately suggests a power supply issue... Could be the actual power supply, could be the power cord, could be outlet...

Check the little black switch on the power supply on the back of the PC(has a - and a 0 on it)... Flip the switch, and try to turn the machine on... if that doesn't work...

Open the case up, and there's a cable that goes from the power supply, to the motherboard. It's a fat, white connector(sometimes black)... See if it is loose.

IGF

This.

cosmose
09-30-2010, 15:47

IGF

i could not find the black switch on the power supply. i did find a red one that has 115 and 230 on it? i found the big fat white connector it seems to be in good. i did find a small blue,black and yellow wire (on the inside) that was not plugged in to anything, but i could not find where it goes?

IndyGunFreak
09-30-2010, 15:59
i could not find the black switch on the power supply. i did find a red one that has 115 and 230 on it? i found the big fat white connector it seems to be in good. i did find a small blue,black and yellow wire (on the inside) that was not plugged in to anything, but i could not find where it goes?

No, the red switch is the voltage to the power supply... Is it set to 115? If it got switched, that could explain why the PC is not working.

The switch I'm referring to, would look like this one (the one thats glowing) http://www.highpowersupply.com/ps/fl5000/ioswitchlite2.jpg except most of the time they are black.

As for the other connector... The loose connector is "possibly" the issue.. what does it look like? Does it look like one of the connectors that plugs into your cd/hard drive?

Looks something like this.. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/31/Molex_female_connector.jpg/800px-Molex_female_connector.jpg

If that's what is not plugged in, thats fine...

Does the loose one look like this? http://www.techaddicts.net/reviews/gp550/gp550.10.jpg

cosmose
09-30-2010, 16:16
No, the red switch is the voltage to the power supply... Is it set to 115? If it got switched, that could explain why the PC is not working.

The switch I'm referring to, would look like this one (the one thats glowing) http://www.highpowersupply.com/ps/fl5000/ioswitchlite2.jpg except most of the time they are black.

As for the other connector... The loose connector is "possibly" the issue.. what does it look like? Does it look like one of the connectors that plugs into your cd/hard drive?

Looks something like this.. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/31/Molex_female_connector.jpg/800px-Molex_female_connector.jpg

If that's what is not plugged in, thats fine...

Does the loose one look like this? http://www.techaddicts.net/reviews/gp550/gp550.10.jpg

the switch is set to 115. it does not have the other switch. the lose wire has 2 black and one yellow and one blue wire going to it and it has p8 stamped on it. it's pretty small

IndyGunFreak
09-30-2010, 18:36
the switch is set to 115. it does not have the other switch. the lose wire has 2 black and one yellow and one blue wire going to it and it has p8 stamped on it. it's pretty small

Unfortunately, the color wires is irrelevant, because power supply manufacturers sometimes do their own thing(thank clear sided cases)...

P8.. I think that's on old AT power supplies, but i really doubt the PC is that old. Where the fat connector is hooked to the motherboard, are there some ports right beside it, that are empty, that match up to the loose one?

IGF

cosmose
09-30-2010, 19:03
P8.. I think that's on old AT power supplies, but i really doubt the PC is that old. Where the fat connector is hooked to the motherboard, are there some ports right beside it, that are empty, that match up to the loose one?

IGF

i never could find a place where it seemed to fit. the computer is pretty old bought around 2001 i think.

thanks for all the help you have given me (i really appreciate it:) but i'm thinking it may be over my head to fix it.

IndyGunFreak
09-30-2010, 19:41
i never could find a place where it seemed to fit. the computer is pretty old bought around 2001 i think.

thanks for all the help you have given me (i really appreciate it:) but i'm thinking it may be over my head to fix it.

Yea, unfortunately at this point, it's tough to diagnose sitting in Indiana..

I know this might sound stupid, but have you tried using a known, working cord(between the power supply and the wall/power strip)?

IGF

Slug71
09-30-2010, 21:07
Yeh you probably dont have the power switch that IndyGunFreak was refering to earlier. Not all power supplies came with it.
How big roughly is that plug you are talking about? Sometimes there are plugs that serve no purpose to certain machines.
I really think your power supply is the culprit though.

cosmose
10-01-2010, 16:53
Yea, unfortunately at this point, it's tough to diagnose sitting in Indiana..

I know this might sound stupid, but have you tried using a known, working cord(between the power supply and the wall/power strip)?

IGF
the monitor cord fit so i tried swapping them around...but no luck (the monitor will come on with the cords)
Yeh you probably dont have the power switch that IndyGunFreak was refering to earlier. Not all power supplies came with it.
How big roughly is that plug you are talking about? Sometimes there are plugs that serve no purpose to certain machines.
I really think your power supply is the culprit though.
the end of the plug is about the size of my thumbnail

Slug71
10-02-2010, 07:04
the monitor cord fit so i tried swapping them around...but no luck (the monitor will come on with the cords)

the end of the plug is about the size of my thumbnail

Yeh you probably dont need that plug. Look to see if theres a place on your motherboard that will accept it, otherwise its not needed.
If its the same plug im thinking of, some motherboards have a larger plug that powers the motherboard(as refered to in post #2), that is the extension to make it the larger.

Do you have a spare computer that you can pull the power supply from to test?
Its really easy to swap out. There should be only about 4 screws that hold the power supply in from the back of the PC. Then just disconnect all the plugs internally of the PC, motherboard, CD Rom, Hard drive and Floppy is all you should have.

Drjones
10-02-2010, 10:16
It's likely your power supply is bad. A replacement should be under $50 or so.