Church vs Tour Guide [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Church vs Tour Guide

Allegra
09-30-2010, 17:14
akala ko si fafa andrew! hehe

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/nation/view/20101001-295322/Touchy-Fili-tour-guide-arrested-for-Noli-poster

Touchy ‘Fili’ tour guide arrested for ‘Noli’ poster

By Philip Tubeza, Cathy C. Yamsuan
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 02:04:00 10/01/2010

Filed Under: Churches (organisations), Religion & Belief, Protest, Legislation, Politics

MANILA, Philippines—Much sought-after tourist guide Carlos Celdran was arrested by police Thursday afternoon for protesting the Catholic Church’s opposition to the reproductive health (RH) bill during an ecumenical service at Manila Cathedral.

Standing in front of the main altar, Celdran shouted that the Church should “stop getting involved” in politics during a ceremony marking the second anniversary of the May They Be One Bible campaign, a joint effort by Catholics and Protestant leaders to distribute Bibles to five million poor Filipino families.

Wearing a dark suit and a top hat, he held up a placard with the word “Damaso,” referring to the hated Spanish friar in national hero Jose Rizal’s novel “Noli Me Tangere.”

Interviewed by phone Thursday night at Station 5 of the Manila Police District, Celdran said he was detained in “the juvenile jail cell together with some prostitutes and some other guy from Munti (Muntinlupa) who has become my friend.”

“I kinda showed the [priests] what [civil disobedience] was like. The Millennium Development Goals of the Philippines hinge on controlling the population and maternal health, but they have done nothing but lie and blackmail … the Presidents and deprive the poorest of the poor of reproductive health services,” Celdran fumed.

Senior Police Officer 4 Benjie Madriaga said Celdran was to remain in detention overnight depending on the city prosecutor’s evaluation of his case.

‘Listen to the people’

Madriaga said Celdran was taken in for violating Article 133 of the Revised Penal Code, for “offending religious feelings.”

Celdran told reporters after his arrest that he conducted his protest action because the bishops needed to “hear what the Filipinos are saying.”

“Ninety percent of the people want the RH bill,” he said.

Among those at the ceremony were Manila Archbishop Gaudencio Cardinal Rosales, the Papal Nuncio Archbishop Edward Adams, and other Catholic bishops.

Protestant Bishops Fred Magbanua of the Philippine Council for Evangelical Churches and Nathaniel Lazaro, chair of the National Council of Churches of the Philippines and Rev. Richard Pridmore of the Union Church of Manila were also present.

“[Celdran] should not have done that,” said Amy Herrera, who attended the ceremony. “This is a private and solemn occasion. It reminded me of the [Aug. 23] hostage-taking.”

Herrera said Celdran entered the cathedral with a woman but did not immediately display his placard.

She said Celdran came out through the door on the right side of the cathedral and returned later and walked to the front of the main altar, with the placard in hand.

“At first I thought it was some sort of play that was part of the ceremony but he kept shouting, especially when someone took his placard. I was alarmed,” Herrera said.

Another witness said Celdran walked toward the front pew, where Rosales and the bishops were sitting.

“He was angry. I thought he was going to bash the cardinal with the placard,” the witness said.

‘I had enough’

Security men later approached Celdran and led him away. He did not resist.

On the phone with the Inquirer, Celdran recalled the afternoon’s event:

“I finally had enough, so I brought a placard [to the Mass]. It took them a while to realize what I was doing, and when they did they could not look me in the eye.

“I started screaming, ‘Stop getting involved in politics!’ I kept screaming until I could not scream anymore, then they took me away. Why keep President Aquino hostage when reproductive health is the fundamental right of Filipinos?”

Celdran said the Church apparently needed to be reminded “to respect the constitutional provision on separation of Church and State.”

“Threatening civil disobedience [because of the RH bill] was a low blow, so I just gave them a dose of their own,” he said. “They can’t take what they threatened to dish out.”

Celdran said that as he started shouting, “I felt strangely calm.”

“People were smiling. A little boy, whom I recognized as one of the urchins running around Intramuros, started clapping, and that gave me the strength to go on. That kid knows where I’m going,” he said.

Celdran, who identified himself as a member of the Filipino Freethinkers and Rational Hero.com, said the groups were not aware of his protest plan.

“Please don’t tell me other people don’t want to do [what I did]. Hopefully the President would do the next step,” he said without elaborating.

CatsMeow
09-30-2010, 19:04
Hehe I was watching it last night. Weird, Rizal with an awful hairstyle:supergrin:. Though I seriously doubt he got his point across to the clergy present.

mtho
09-30-2010, 19:39
my take on the matter. why do they need to excommunicate the president? where it is their job to influence theri followers. they could just do their job and their followers would follow. they shouldn't assume that the entire country follows them because it is not the case.

CatsMeow
09-30-2010, 20:19
In Noli Me Tangere, someone told Ibarra that even Padre Damaso himself was excommunicated for beating up his vicar, "but he has not lost weight over it".

The excommunication threat should not be idly thrown about just because somebody disagrees with the Church. Reminds me of the situation in my hometown in the 50s, the clergy then threatened to excommunicate anybody who went to a Protestant university.

Still, mandating abstinence...:whistling: my old law book had the phrase "men are still cavemen in the pleasures of the bed". Years ago I was watching a dog in heat, there were three dogs trying to mount her, one finally succeeded but the other two were still vainly trying even though it was obviously impossible already.

mtho
09-30-2010, 20:33
to me they want laws put up laws to cover up for their short commings

horge
09-30-2010, 23:34
The guy's a bad fruit.
Doesn't know his history very well, yet keeps rambling on during his historical "tours".
I took him aside once, to quietly suggest more research, and he reacted almost violently.
I guess he didn't like the idea that all his insinuations that Rizal was gay might not have
enough scholarly basis ....lol.

Evan N. Payawal
09-30-2010, 23:55
Well, his objective was to obviously have a soapbox to stand on and speak from...and he got it.

The guy has a point though... a very good point.

National policy should be influenced mainly by the people (through its democratically elected government) , not by threats from any interest group.

darwin25
09-30-2010, 23:55
The guy's a bad fruit.
Doesn't know his history very well, yet keeps rambling on during his historical "tours".
I took him aside once, to quietly suggest more research, and he reacted almost violently.
I guess he didn't like the idea that all his insinuations that Rizal was gay might not have

Is he the one who insinuated that Rizal and Blumentritt was not just simple BFF?

CatsMeow
10-01-2010, 00:21
The guy's a bad fruit.

There was a certain term for such an attitude I read only last night, now if I could only remember what it was... something to do with one's views being the be all and end-all, to the exclusion of others, hence the violent reaction.

Now I have my doubts on whether he is the right, er, guy to raise such a very important issue...

horge
10-01-2010, 00:40
Well, his objective was to obviously have a soapbox to stand on and speak from...and he got it.

The guy has a point though... a very good point.

National policy should be influenced mainly by the people (through its democratically elected government) , not by threats from any interest group.

I disagree somewhat.

Elected representatives are sufficient for bread-and-butter issues:
the electorate knows the candidates' beliefs one way or the other.
For especially acute issues like population management, the people
do have the right --indeed the duty to offer their two cents' worth.
Our very form of government acknowledges this, and that is why
it is sometimes forced to call a referendum ---to "refer" an issue to
the vox popvli.

If several individuals have common beliefs, it's their right to form a
political lobby for expression --whether they're farmers, actors,
businessmen or yes, priests (however unseemly it is for priests to
be political, they're still citizens).

The problem here is VENUE.
The priests technically haven't abused someone else's space in order
to express themselves.

Allegra
10-01-2010, 00:48
Forget about over population!
rizal was gay???

horge
10-01-2010, 01:04
Is he the one who insinuated that Rizal and Blumentritt was not just simple BFF?

rizal was gay???

Visit the National Archives and three times out of ten, you will run into
gay-activist historians who tend to view all fact through the lens of
their sexual preference, as if EVERYTHING has to be evaluated for its
significance to a 'Philippine Gay History'.

Others, who share said preference and said propensity for distortion,
do not even BOTHER to do research using primary material. They just
twist what they obtain from secondary and tertiary sources, and are
twice as vocal.

Now, there is no substantial evidence that Rizal was 'gay'.
I actually think it's irrelevant, but I guess some 'gay' men feel the need
to boost their stock by trying to claim Rizal as one of their own. It's
scarce different from Filipinos (of all sexual inclinations) claiming that a
Filipino invented the Lunar Rover, the M-16, or the fluorescent lamp.

Bad fruit.

h.

napinap
10-01-2010, 02:23
Fafas:

Was Rizal Gay? (http://wasrizalgay.htm)

Wp.22
10-01-2010, 02:28
is Boy Abunda historian?

Wp.22
10-01-2010, 02:29
The last time i heard mr. celdran charges 1K per person.

Wp.22
10-01-2010, 02:30
The guy's a bad fruit.

Did he tried to kiss you Horge?:supergrin:

napinap
10-01-2010, 02:30
Fafas:

ooops, sorry, double post!

http://panitikan.com.ph/criticism/wasrizalgay.htm

mtho
10-01-2010, 02:39
rizal was gay???

i'm more inclined to believe that rizal fathered Hitler than him being gay. oh well what do i know i haven't met the guy and besides i'm not sensitive to gays or tibo. to me its their choice to do what they want in their private place.

mtho
10-01-2010, 02:40
Did he tried to kiss you Horge?:supergrin:

oo nga , did he?

Allegra
10-01-2010, 03:15
Fafas:

ooops, sorry, double post!

http://panitikan.com.ph/criticism/wasrizalgay.htm

Good read :) biased nga yata ating mga girlaloo historians

Bading daw si rizal kasi -

- ayaw nya gyerahin mga espanol
- di nya makasundo mga chikababes nya
- di sya mahilig sa GRO
- dehins sya erpat ng anak ni Josephine

hanep sa mga rason a hehe

gagawa rin ako ng paper -

Tingin ko si Rizal ay emo
- just look at the hairdo
- parati naka black
- he's been treated unfairly
- moody mga sinulat nya

ppts799
10-01-2010, 03:31
gagawa rin ako ng paper -

Tingin ko si Rizal ay emo
- just look at the hairdo
- parati naka black
- he's been treated unfairly
- moody mga sinulat nya

LOL!!!!!! :rofl:

horge
10-01-2010, 06:33
Did he try to kiss you Horge?:supergrin:

My wife would have kicked his teeth in.
Then I might have had to shoot him "in defense of my wife".

:rofl:

Allegra
10-01-2010, 07:23
LOL!!!!!! :rofl:

hehe it's not mine, read it on someones fb account

atmarcella
10-02-2010, 04:47
akala ko si fafa andrew! hehe

whahahahahahaha i dont even know squat about damaso hehehe.

cguro ginawa nya yun to gain attention to the situation, oh well cguro govt. has to spend for FP na cos isa ata sa mga requirements yun ng loan na binigay ke pnoy.

sapat na sakin na protesta na these days non-practicing catholic ako. as for rizal being gay.......hmmmmmmmm...hehehehe.

if he was not then baog sya? or marunong na sya bumunot noon.....wala pa naman condom or birth control noon hmmmmmmm.

marami daw sya chicks eh. bakit wala man lang na buntis kahit isa hmmmmmmmmm.

Kaiser Soze
10-02-2010, 06:27
The guy's a bad fruit.

He's a dick. He proclaims history as he sees fit, but once questioned he cries foul and either storms off or berates the person who asks.

It's a non-story, and personally, I would have loved to see him roughed up more.

mtho
10-02-2010, 10:58
whahahahahahaha i dont even know squat about damaso hehehe.

cguro ginawa nya yun to gain attention to the situation, oh well cguro govt. has to spend for FP na cos isa ata sa mga requirements yun ng loan na binigay ke pnoy.

sapat na sakin na protesta na these days non-practicing catholic ako. as for rizal being gay.......hmmmmmmmm...hehehehe.

if he was not then baog sya? or marunong na sya bumunot noon.....wala pa naman condom or birth control noon hmmmmmmm.

marami daw sya chicks eh. bakit wala man lang na buntis kahit isa hmmmmmmmmm.

dr nga sya magaling sya magbilang ng araw.

atmarcella
10-03-2010, 03:03
tested and proven na hindi effective ang pagbilang ng araw. panahon ni marcos pa yun nag ang pino-promote na FP method pero wala din nangyari. eto lumobo pa din populasyon natin. so.... bakit wala pa din sya na buntis? hehehehehehehehe.

Evan N. Payawal
10-04-2010, 02:12
I disagree somewhat.

Elected representatives are sufficient for bread-and-butter issues:
the electorate knows the candidates' beliefs one way or the other.
For especially acute issues like population management, the people
do have the right --indeed the duty to offer their two cents' worth.
Our very form of government acknowledges this, and that is why
it is sometimes forced to call a referendum ---to "refer" an issue to
the vox popvli.

If several individuals have common beliefs, it's their right to form a
political lobby for expression --whether they're farmers, actors,
businessmen or yes, priests (however unseemly it is for priests to
be political, they're still citizens).

The problem here is VENUE.
The priests technically haven't abused someone else's space in order
to express themselves.

My problem with what the priests are doing is preaching their political beliefs from the pulpit. It's not exactly the kind of venue that you can raise your hand and say..."excuse me, I don't agree with that.." The Church has not once participated in a real discussion of this issue where opinions can be expressed freely, without threat of excommunication (ha ha).
The attitude of the church is..just do what we say, you people don't know what's good for you.
If venue is the issue...I respectfully submit that hiding behind the sacrament of the mass to further a political agenda and stave off dissenting opinion...is abuse in my view.

All I have heard from the anti-Rh bill advocates so far is rhetoric (respect life, God loves children, etc)
Much like the rhetoric I hear from the anti-gun advocates (peace be with you, etc).

E

CatsMeow
10-04-2010, 03:41
Eh, what probably set off that Celdran chap were the oft-mentioned threats of "civil disobedience" on the part of the clergy, so he probably decided to do a "pre-emptive strike" of his own...:supergrin: But disrupting a service is simply not done, I hope he gets the book thrown at him, but probably that's what he wanted all along.

I walked by the Quiapo church last Saturday afternoon and the speaker featured sounded emotional, almost tearful... The homily in the mass I attended made it clear, the Church considers contraception already as abortion.

Allegra
10-04-2010, 05:20
did the church really say their going to excommunicate noynoy?
or was it the newspapers putting a spin on the story , or taking what a priest said out of context?
Everytime the media has a sensational headline , wag basta maniniwala

horge
10-04-2010, 05:25
My problem with what the priests are doing is preaching their political beliefs from the pulpit. It's not exactly the kind of venue that you can raise your hand and say..."excuse me, I don't agree with that.."

You CAN walk out if you like, and no one will stop you. :)
If however, the Church were to come to MY house and start preaching,
I'd find it actionable: it's not like I can walk away from my own house.
Besides, it's my house and only I can raise my voice there.

The Church, like it or not, will express its views in its own house.
It's not like the Church's position on the matter isn't common knowledge.

The Church has not once participated in a real discussion of this issue where opinions can be expressed freely, without threat of excommunication (ha ha).

What I understand is that there was no such threat:
A reporter asked repeatedly if excommunication was on the table, and a
bishop answered that such a thing was not proximate --an answer that
was deliberately misreported.

The attitude of the church is..just do what we say, you people don't know what's good for you.

If you find the Church so arrogant, you walk away.

If venue is the issue...I respectfully submit that hiding behind the sacrament of the mass to further a political agenda and stave off dissenting opinion...is abuse in my view.

If you find Mass abusive, walk away.

h.

Wp.22
10-04-2010, 06:32
Have you heard about the "rights of the unborn" by roilo golez Accordingt o some its the opposite of the RH bill

CatsMeow
10-04-2010, 18:56
did the church really say their going to excommunicate noynoy?
or was it the newspapers putting a spin on the story , or taking what a priest said out of context?
Everytime the media has a sensational headline , wag basta maniniwala

Eh what did you expect, it's the Inquirer.

I did read the online story that day (I swore I will never ever buy Inquirer again), and the bishop concerned did not explicitly threaten PNoy with excommunication, but the gist was that basically abortion is punishable by excommunication.

As an aside, the Church is calling for a "ceasefire", yeah right, I won't be surprised if soon there will be another pastoral letter read during masses, and people walking out as a result.

Allegra
10-04-2010, 22:26
Kahit other popular broadsheets is guilty din jan
they interviewed a scientist friend about a mysterious giant sea creature washed up on shore
My fiend told them it's just a decomposed whale
Pero for several days di nila sinasabing whale yun, just a mysterious sea creature hehe

It's a business hehe they have to twist facts to sell more

atmarcella
10-05-2010, 03:04
walk away.

this is exactly what i have done for almost 3yrs now.... when i was younger, i believed in them, i still believe in the religion.... just not the people running it.

mtho
10-05-2010, 03:58
i heard a theory somewhere. its about the vatican sending their bad eggs to thirdworld countries.to summarize in the early days the eldest child of royalties becomes kings in waiting and the second child usually becomes priest. when they become uncontrolable the vatican can't simply kick them out hence just send them to far off places. mabagal naman communication nuon kaya di mapapansin. the character of padre Damaso was probably one of those royalties that you just simply cant kick out.

atmarcella
10-05-2010, 04:14
they still do this bro. bbc did a documentary which chronicled where pedophile priest went or what happens to them, and lo and behold, usually they go to brazil, PI or venezuela.... or somewhere in a poor central american country where they continue to abuse children. boys and girls.

atmarcella
10-05-2010, 04:15
there's one in bohol actually...

horge
10-05-2010, 04:30
this is exactly what i have done for almost 3yrs now.... when i was younger, i believed in them, i still believe in the religion.... just not the people running it.

I've never believed in the "priests". :)

I've tried to just listen passively to their sermons, and to separate
Scripture/catechism from activist bull. I've also had a few discreet
discussions with priests, seeking clarification on what I perceived as
dubious sermons. If done respectfully and with Scriptural citations,
they listen naman. Nakakagulat nga, how open they are to it.

When the problem is with their 'style' rather than their substance,
there's little remedy. I just keep up-to-date with Mass schedules
and avoid the showbiz clowns.

I guess when it gets really bad, I can fall back on Matthew 18:20.

h.

Wp.22
10-05-2010, 04:30
there's one in bohol actually...

The bishop who ordained him was not aware that he has cases and was kick out of the seminary in the states.

Wp.22
10-05-2010, 04:39
Where is Father P when you need him hehehe. He is very good with his homily twice or thrice he was the officiating priest in our church.

Wp.22
10-05-2010, 04:44
Actually right now my brother and I are debating about this RH bill he is in seminary syempre doon siya kampi. I told him pag dumami ang pamangkin mo sa akin hindi na kita mabibigyan ng mahal na regalo na gusto mo ( he want's a gun that he could bring sa seminary sa EL Salvador CDO). End of discussion na.

Allegra
10-05-2010, 04:55
Sayang, i wanted to be a priest dati
I bet I culd write a good sermon and muka naman ako mabait
Plus , i support abstinence, it cleanses the soul and improves trigger control

mtho
10-05-2010, 09:49
nung una nga nagtataka ako bakit kinahihiya ng barkada ko na meron syang ninuno na pari. ang sabi ko pa ok lang yun, nothing wrong with you grand pa being a priest. pasensya na slow mode eh.

Eye Cutter
10-05-2010, 10:48
fafa A: you, a padre? then you'd just go blind fafa A! wokwokwok!

Allegra
10-05-2010, 17:08
fafa A: you, a padre? then you'd just go blind fafa A! wokwokwok!

Naisip ko na yan , at may solution!
I will become a running, biking , swimming priest
Nung nag triathlon kasi ako parati ako tulog heehee

CatsMeow
10-05-2010, 19:10
I've never believed in the "priests". :)

I've tried to just listen passively to their sermons, and to separate
Scripture/catechism from activist bull. I've also had a few discreet
discussions with priests, seeking clarification on what I perceived as
dubious sermons. If done respectfully and with Scriptural citations,
they listen naman. Nakakagulat nga, how open they are to it.

When the problem is with their 'style' rather than their substance,
there's little remedy. I just keep up-to-date with Mass schedules
and avoid the showbiz clowns.

I guess when it gets really bad, I can fall back on Matthew 18:20.

h.

Hehe I used to hear mass at Greenbelt every Saturday (anticipated). Nowadays, every other Saturday na, just to avoid one particular priest who's very irksome with his style. No, it's not Fr. Jim (who lapsed into Cebuano once during his homily:supergrin:).

And somebody should tell those Quiapo church priests to cut down on their sermons; are they blind to those parishioners who have to stand the whole time and sometimes faint?

atmarcella
10-07-2010, 01:20

whahahahaha LOL.

I've never believed in the "priests".

dati kasi wala naman ako ikakagalit sa kanila. ang ba-it ng pari sa subd. namin, mahal na mahal sya namin, nung nawala ako bcos i relocated here when i came back, special mention ako sa sermon nya in front of the whole subd., nung wake ng nanay ko everyday sya nag misa sa bahay.

nung sumali sila sa politics to get rid of marcos....okay yun. nung ke erap parang hindi naman sila sumali eh. malambot na ata si kabayan "sin" noon. ngayon ibang storya talaga. kailangan na talaga ng aggressive medicine to cure the ailment.... gusto nila herbal.

dyos ko........naniniwala din ako sa herbal. yung mabango ang usok hehehehe.

darwin25
10-07-2010, 01:39
Sayang, i wanted to be a priest dati
I bet I culd write a good sermon and muka naman ako mabait

Our former parish priest in Polo, Valenzuela offered to support me if I would to go into seminary and be a priest. Everyone knows that that priest doesn't practice family planning. He always misses on natural methods for family planning that is why he has so many kids now. He is still a priest btw and still with the Diocese of Malolos.

Eye Cutter
10-07-2010, 07:37
literal ba na go forth and multiply?

mtho
10-07-2010, 19:54
Our former parish priest in Polo, Valenzuela offered to support me if I would to go into seminary and be a priest. Everyone knows that that priest doesn't practice family planning. He always misses on natural methods for family planning that is why he has so many kids now. He is still a priest btw and still with the Diocese of Malolos.

he has a wife or live in?

Wp.22
10-07-2010, 20:05
literal ba na go forth and multiply?
Doc matagal ng hindi sinasabi yan at the end of the mass kailan ka last nagsimba?

Wp.22
10-07-2010, 20:14

this reminds of a story by my former seksitary who hails from bicol. She said that a famous priest seen on TV and radio ( i will not say which order) had a son from a nurse assigned to their seminary/chruch. The source of this news is the girl sister who is her bestfriend since childhood.

The nurse gave birth a to a baby boy in Poland. If im not mistaken the boy is now in high school.

darwin25
10-07-2010, 22:59
he has a wife or live in?

A live in partner. He became a US Citizen long time ago. Dun nya dinala yung girlaloo at mga junakis nila. Kaya every 6 months binibisita nya ang pamilya niya while he still serve as a parish priest in the Diocese of Malolos

atmarcella
10-08-2010, 03:04
meron din pari na ganyan dito sa san pablo. me mga anak. dinala sa i-stets. pinerahan ang matandang tiya ni esmi. at tuloyan na nawala.

haaay. lapit na cguro end of the world. hehehe.

glak
10-08-2010, 03:23
haaay. lapit na cguro end of the world. hehehe.

tagal pa yun sir pag ang tao ay nagpatayan na sa pagkain, sigurado yun ang malapit na.

horge
10-09-2010, 17:39
tagal pa yun sir pag ang tao ay nagpatayan na sa pagkain, sigurado yun ang malapit na.

Clearly you haven't seen a BoG get-together at a restaurant.
:upeyes:

:supergrin:

Wp.22
10-09-2010, 18:24

This only happens pag pag pauwi na at may leftovers pa. Pahingi nga ng PLASTIC bwahahahha

glak
10-09-2010, 20:40

:rofl::rofl: :supergrin: