Polishing live rounds [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Polishing live rounds

green marauder
09-30-2010, 20:58
A friend gave me a couple boxes of 9mm their old and have sitting around awhile and tarnished pretty good what I'm wondering is is it ok to through them in the tumbler to clean them up.

BamaTrooper
09-30-2010, 21:10
Are they dirty or do they have a layer of crap on them making them too big to go in the chamber?

PEC-Memphis
09-30-2010, 21:11
I'd pass on using a "tumbler" (rotary or vibratory) on live ammunition.

According to Speer, some powders have coatings on the outside of the particle which controls the burn rate of the powder. Tumbling can remove the coating which can increase the burn rate - which very well may be detrimental.

Some folks say they always tumble finished cartridges and haven't had a problem - but why take the chance?

green marauder
09-30-2010, 21:22
Just real dirty and ugly, their not corroded. I cant find anything in any of my manuals that says you cant do it and sorta figured it would be a big warning somewhere if its a bad idea. I dont see how it could hurt anything other than maybe the dust (corncob) contaminating the primers?

green marauder
09-30-2010, 21:25

According to Speer, some powders have coatings on the outside of the particle which controls the burn rate of the powder. Tumbling can remove the coating which can increase the burn rate - which very well may be detrimental.

Some folks say they always tumble finished cartridges and haven't had a problem - but why take the chance?

Mines the vibratory kind.

njl
09-30-2010, 21:32
Reloaders tumble live rounds all the time. I'd use a softer media (corn cob) and make sure there's plenty of it relative to the cartridges.

Nakanokalronin
09-30-2010, 21:36
If your just going to use them as range rounds, why not just go shoot them. I've had some older "tarnished" rounds that I shot and are fine. It usually happens if someone handles them and then put them back in a box or something. Unless you want bullets for "show" , what's the point?

Noblinger
09-30-2010, 21:38
If your just going to use them as range rounds, why not just go shoot them. I've had some older "tarnished" rounds that I shot and are fine. It usually happens if someone handles them and then put them back in a box or something. Unless you want bullets for "show" , what's the point?

+1.. shoot um up.

sgtlmj
09-30-2010, 21:38
I tumble rounds to get the lube off, but only for 10 min or so. Shouldn't be enough to break down the powder.

CitizenOfDreams
09-30-2010, 22:44
Just shoot them in a dirty gun. Problem solved.

chris in va
09-30-2010, 23:00
If you just want them purdy again, get some Nevr-Dull and go to it.

oily_oink
10-01-2010, 00:50
Just shoot them in a dirty gun. Problem solved.

What he said! :supergrin:

Brucev
10-01-2010, 06:43
Dirty? Ugly? Semichrome them! Cleans them up very nicely. Tumbler also works. I've used Semichrome with good results. Also used the tumbler. Either is fine. If your only doing a box or so of ammo, the Semichrome works best... it's quicker and you can do it while watching T.V. JMHO.

fredj338
10-01-2010, 12:43
I have never liked the idea of putting live rounds in a tumbler. I know many that do it, like riding a motrocycle w/o a helmet, not me. Use some fine steel wool or sim polsih, brilliant ammo in about 5min/50.:dunno:

Zombie Steve
10-01-2010, 13:06

I've always wondered about this claim... how is it this doesn't happen when it's bouncing around in my truck? :dunno:

hotpig
10-01-2010, 13:46
Winchester tumbles their Ranger ammo before packaging and shipping.

ilgunguygt
10-01-2010, 22:17
On www.thehighroad.org (http://www.thehighroad.org) two members loaded rounds and tumbled them for multiple days straight. Then broke some down examined the powder and chrono'd them. There were no problems at all.