Russian Tula Ammo at my Wally World??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Russian Tula Ammo at my Wally World???

Small Tony
10-01-2010, 01:38
My walmart just got it some Tula Ammo made in Russia. It looks like it is steel cased.

Im not any kind of expert on ammo but just wondering if it worth buying? Your experience with it? Thanks..

Merkavaboy
10-01-2010, 02:40
I've used all sorts of different brands of steel cased Russian ammo and had very little problems. Occasional failure to fire on first primer strike, but what do you expect from cheap plinking ammo? I'm thinking that Tulammo should be no different. I have 100 rounds in 9mm that I haven't shot up yet.

The best steel cased ammo I ever shot was Sellier & Bellot's Range Safe ammo with 100% reliability from 1K rounds thru my G19.

2afreedom
10-01-2010, 04:00
Unless your particular gun has a problem with steel cases it's a great option if you don't reload and need brass. I have multiple thousands of rounds of Russian 9mm through a G19 with no problems. It's somewhat dirty ammo but then again so is Winchester White Box or Remington UMC. If the price is right go for it-it will make the same holes in paper as the more expensive stuff.

Small Tony
10-01-2010, 07:22
Unless your particular gun has a problem with steel cases it's a great option if you don't reload and need brass. I have multiple thousands of rounds of Russian 9mm through a G19 with no problems. It's somewhat dirty ammo but then again so is Winchester White Box or Remington UMC. If the price is right go for it-it will make the same holes in paper as the more expensive stuff.

Most of what I shoot are Glocks,M&Ps and berettas. I just never shot steel cased bullets before and want to make sure it would be okay to use. All 3 gun types mentioned take well to WWB with no problems...So hopefully these will be no trouble???

DEADEYEGUY
10-01-2010, 22:05
I've shot quite a few rounds of the steel stuff through my SIGS, Glocks, XD's and so on. Mostly during the drought of ammunition. Steel was sometimes the only thing I could get. Never hurt any of the guns. Just smells really bad. Here's the thing. The steel case is a much milder steel than your guns extractor and other parts. The cases don't expand as much as their brass counterparts when fired. This causes the chamber to get real nasty. But so what it's practice ammo right?
But it's going for $14.95 a box at my Wally World. They are getting regular shipments now of the 100 round Winchester White Box and Federal ammo. So your paying about about an extra buck fifty for brass ammo per 50 rounds. So why use the steel unless you can't find something else. It shouldn't hurt your gun. But if you can get brass why mess with steel? In the middle of WW II their was a shortage of brass and for awhile the U.S. used steel ammo for the M1, M1 carbine, and the .45. In fact a guy at the range has some of the steel .45 rounds. I think they were dated 1943. So evidently the government didn't feel like steel was a problem in rifles or pistols shooting steel. It's your money you decide. But it really shouldn't hurt your gun.

2afreedom
10-02-2010, 04:52
Most of what I shoot are Glocks,M&Ps and berettas. I just never shot steel cased bullets before and want to make sure it would be okay to use. All 3 gun types mentioned take well to WWB with no problems...So hopefully these will be no trouble???

The only real issues people claim to have with this ammo are number one it is dirty and number two it can wear out an extractor. Personally I have found all cheap range ammo to be dirty and I clean after shooting so that's a non-issue. I suppose the extractor wear could be true but as I said after thousands of rounds my Glock extractor is fine and parts are cheap should I ever wear one out. If you're going to shoot steel-cased ammo be sure to check online for deals. You might end up being able to get a case shipped to your door cheaper than buying it at Wally's.

g22od
10-02-2010, 18:05
Tulammo you say? Never shot it before but I picked up 250 rounds of .40 for 78 bucks at Wally World today. Gonna take it out just after dawn and hit a rolling steel target and cans of cheap pop. I am a simple man really. At that price I can justify doing it once or twice a month. I will be sure to let everyone know what I think of this strain of Russian steel case. Shoot it might even be under a hundred degrees tomorrow!

pizza_pablo
12-30-2010, 16:39
I came to search, because I just saw some at my Wally-World.
9mm for $9.47 and .40 for $10.97. Now that I have read that others have used it w/ no problems, I'm gonna git me some.
Thanks! I just love this site! :wavey:

Slug71
12-30-2010, 19:45
i shot a 100rds bout a week ago and its pretty decent stuff. Better than Federal IMO.