Holy hard primers Sellier & Bellot!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Holy hard primers Sellier & Bellot!!!

legion3
10-01-2010, 18:12
Just did a range trip with the G39 and G38.

A couple of observations,

1. Federal Hydra Shok 230 is very snappy in the G39

2. Winchester Ranger 230 is very controllable in both guns and smooth shooting

3. Sellier & Bellot 230 FMJ ammo has some seriously hard primers. About 19 rounds failed to ignite first time out, 5 did not fire on the second try, and 3 took 4 strikes to fire off. And I only used 30 rounds from the 50. It does have that red laquer on it, don't know if thats an issue.

I know its not the pin (all were through the G38) as the federal and Winchester had no such issues.

Think I might pass on S&B in the future.

David_Ely
10-01-2010, 18:27
Thanks for the heads up. I was actually going to seek out a box of S&B ammo to try in my G38.

DannyR
10-01-2010, 18:54
S&B runs fine in my 9mm Glocks.

David_Ely
10-01-2010, 19:00
I'm a big fan of S&B ammunition. I have several different calibers of it (mainly surplus military). That's why I was/am seeking a box of 45 GAP to try.

Glocks&Ducs
10-01-2010, 20:10
Were all the problems with the same gun? It sounds more like you might have a dirty firing pin channel, or possible a broken firing pin in one of the guns. You might even have a problem with one or both of the guns not going completely into battery. Might not be a primer problem at all.

Although not in 45GAP, I have also shot plenty of S&B and have never had a problem with it.

legion3
10-02-2010, 04:30
Were all the problems with the same gun? It sounds more like you might have a dirty firing pin channel, or possible a broken firing pin in one of the guns. You might even have a problem with one or both of the guns not going completely into battery. Might not be a primer problem at all.

Although not in 45GAP, I have also shot plenty of S&B and have never had a problem with it.

Same gun, but I did say that other ammo ran fine in my OP. I shot the S&B first or tried to, then shot 50 rounds of Ranger and 20 rounds of Federal - the same gun - no issues with the winchester or federal.

I then went back to some of the misfired rounds and they still had problems.

The primers had impacts. I have also fire that gun before with Remington, Speer Lawman and Speer GD's with no similar issues.

Slug71
10-02-2010, 07:07
Strange, might be a bad box of S&B. My G19 loves S&B ammo.

I would contact them and explain what happened.

legion3
10-02-2010, 08:58
Strange, might be a bad box of S&B. My G19 loves S&B ammo.

I would contact them and explain what happened.

Well eventually all the rounds did fire off.
And I can find other and cheaper practice ammo than S&B - this was one box I saw at a store so I gave it a try. I have not actually seen another box.

I have not had problems with S&B in the past in 9mm mostly.

Slug71
10-02-2010, 16:54
You should probably still email them though.
Not sure if you saw the post in General Glocking about S&B being made in EU for .45GAP supply over there, but it seemed as though they had just started doing the GAP caliber which makes me think it might have been a bad batch even more.

Who knows, you may even get a free box of ammo.

pds
10-15-2010, 16:23
I shot a box of these in both a G38 and G39 with no problems. Went bang every time and very accurate. Did you notice they are primed with Large Pistol primers!!!

David_Ely
10-15-2010, 16:30
I shot a box of these in both a G38 and G39 with no problems. Went bang every time and very accurate. Did you notice they are primed with Large Pistol primers!!!

That's scary! They could be using cut down 45ACP brass to load their GAP ammo. :wow:

dudel
10-16-2010, 01:41

Before 45 GAP, there was 45 GLOCK. It did have large primers. It's been discontinued by most.

Glocks&Ducs
10-16-2010, 06:48
Before 45 GAP, there was 45 GLOCK. It did have large primers. It's been discontinued by most.

I'm pretty sure that was in the development stages, and those never hit the market.

Dingus
10-16-2010, 09:45
Speer/Glock changed to small pistol primers during the ststing/development stage.

amazingphotos
11-12-2010, 16:22
I have some Speer 45 GAP ammo with large primers. Sounds like they might be collectable.

legion3
11-25-2010, 21:04
sure enough S&B uses large pistol primers. Why?

fasteddie565
11-26-2010, 06:51
Just did a range trip with the G39 and G38.

A couple of observations,

1. Federal Hydra Shok 230 is very snappy in the G39

2. Winchester Ranger 230 is very controllable in both guns and smooth shooting

3. Sellier & Bellot 230 FMJ ammo has some seriously hard primers. About 19 rounds failed to ignite first time out, 5 did not fire on the second try, and 3 took 4 strikes to fire off. And I only used 30 rounds from the 50. It does have that red lacquer on it, don't know if thats an issue.

I know its not the pin (all were through the G38) as the federal and Winchester had no such issues.

Think I might pass on S&B in the future.

Legion,

Not sure what you do with the FHS, but I would switch to a bonded bullet like the Speer Gold Dot. I have several colleagues that have first hand experience in shootings with G 21's and FHS rounds, none of which resulted in a fatality due to the bullet breaking apart. Bonded bullets pose a significantly lower risk of the bullet breaking up.

legion3
11-26-2010, 15:49
I currently carry Winchester Ranger 230 grain bonded in both my 45GAP's.

I also have some of the non bonded versions of the Rangers too.

The Federal HS was simply because I cam across some and thought I would try them out.