Suppressed 9mm Glocks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Suppressed 9mm Glocks

RWBlue
10-02-2010, 21:33
I like my suppressed G21. I want to suppress a 9mm Glock. The question is which one. G26, G19, G17?

What do you have?
What works?
What doesn't work?

isis07734
10-03-2010, 10:31
i'd go for the G17...

r2kba
10-03-2010, 10:59
I like my suppressed G21. I want to suppress a 9mm Glock. The question is which one. G26, G19, G17?

What do you have?
What works?
What doesn't work?

As I posted in the other thread. G27 with 9mm barrel and gemtech MM9.

I'm still in the process of trying to get it to cycle on 147g. So far all the subsonic Ammo I've tried wont cycle it however I have not replaced the recoil spring yet. I'm betting this fixes the cycling problems however I Just have not ordered the 25$ spring kit out of lazyness and ammo prices still sucking-ass.

If I was going to BUY a 9mm, I would not use a glock if I were you. If I was though, and did not have one already I would buy a full frame 9mm glock, not the compact. They are difficult, much more so than the full size ones, to cycle. The only reason I did it was because I already had the gun, and the barrel was $150, vs a new gun at 300$+ and then still needing a barrel.

If I were you though, I would buy a Taurus or Beretta 92F 9mm fullsize and use that. Cycling is almost always imminent with no modification needed and no LID needed. I'm looking now at the used 92f and 92af market and will buy one myself at some point when funds permit. I may end up selling my G26 conversion barrel afterward.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc55/tx-one/MISC/IMG_0542Large.jpg

Fireman1291
10-07-2010, 07:14
What can do you plan on using?

Id go with a G19, the barrel length and lock time show great results when metered with most popular cans. They only 9mm cans I can recommend right now FOR A HANDGUN(not 3 lug attachement) are the silencercro osprey or AAC Tirant 9. Id shoot for the Osprey as the CS is worlds better than AAC but you have to make the descision. Have you joined the silencerresearch.com VIP member deal yet? You pay $30 a year and get access to multiple reviews on suppressors with video and metered results.

RED64CJ5
10-07-2010, 08:49
I used a G22 w/a LWD 40-9 conversion barrel and a AWC Abraxas can on it.

Works like a champ w/ 147gr bullets. Anything less, jam-o-matic.

I am really tempted to get a G26 threaded barrel. I own several G26 and G17's.

Only reason I use the G22 is I got a good deal on it.

Quake has the same can -- he might have some info on it, too.

Hoser
10-07-2010, 11:29
I have a G-17 and M&P Pro that I play with. My can is an AAC Evo 9. I have K&M barrels in both guns.

I switched to Dawson sights as they are tall enough to see over the can.

For my STI 2011, I had to have Chuck Rogers make me some sights to see over the can.

Bravo 1
10-07-2010, 13:42
My Trident runs reliably on my Sig 226 and G 17.

I will add that the Sig has a factory threaded bbl while the G 17 has a LWB and it needed to be fired as a set for a couple hundred rounds before it would run correctly.

RWBlue
10-07-2010, 19:56
What can do you plan on using?

I haven't made that decision.

I am trying to work it backwards. If I find the gun that works, love the gun as just a gun, then find a suppressor.....

Right now I have 3 guns. They are all different. I think I would be better off with duplicates. (Two G26s and a G17 OR Two G19s and a G26 OR ....) Same accessories. Same feel....

Then again, maybe I already have something in mind.
Small, quiet, take apart, able to be used with 9mm, 22LR, 300-221.
I am thinking degrot.
Then again, I sacrifice being able to shoot a box of ammo without doing a setup again. And I would need to have wipe material on hand.

RED64CJ5
10-07-2010, 20:01
The reasons you gave are why I like the Abraxas. It's not the quietest can, but it's about the smallest and lightest 9mm can you can find. Sure, it's not quiet when "Dry" but that's okay. It is so small that you don't need raised sights on a Glock. It also is compareable in size to my smallest 22 can.

Bravo 1
10-08-2010, 05:58
I will add this,,,,,

The trident9 is so good,, that it is as quiet dry as it is wet. I know of no other cans that I can say this about.

Okay, before the intranet experts pipe up, it is actually MAYBE 1-2 db quieter wet than it is dry.

I never shoot mine wet as it is a total waste of time.

My .45 cans, I shoot wet most of the time.

RED64CJ5
10-08-2010, 06:09
I will add this,,,,,

The trident9 is so good,, that it is as quiet dry as it is wet. I know of no other cans that I can say this about.

Okay, before the intranet experts pipe up, it is actually MAYBE 1-2 db quieter wet than it is dry.

I never shoot mine wet as it is a total waste of time.

My .45 cans, I shoot wet most of the time.

I'm no expert, but my experience has been that most good cans are not that much quieter run wet.. The one I mentioned above actually is a big difference when wet, 10db perhaps. I think a lot has to do with it being small (that's one of it's design features/size.) It also does not need a Neilson device when run with a Glock, as most cans do.

rjrivero
10-08-2010, 07:54
I will continue to follow this thread with interest. I recently put a Trident 9 on my dealers "Sold pending Form 4 shelf."

I currently have a Glock 35 with a 9mm conversion barrel, threaded (Just for such an occasion.) And I have a Beretta 92FS in stainless steel. I can have the barrel threaded for a whopping $65 by my Class 3 dealer. I figure I can scrape up the cash to do that before the can clears the .gov red tape.

I'll be interested to see how well each gun works with the can.

Please, continue this discussion, and hopefully I'll be able to contribute in a more substantial manner before too long!

Fireman1291
10-08-2010, 11:10
The guys that think the Trident9 is still the quietest dry 9mm can need to wake up.lol

Its a great can If I were to use it with 3lug but if its a thread on 9mm pistol can you seek then the Osprey or Tirant are the only cans worth looking at. The osprey has my vote for Silencercos CS and the fact the serial# is engraved in the booster housing. VERY SMART! This way if you have a catastrophic baffle strike and buldge the can and blow out baffles it wont matter. Just send it out to Silencero and they'll throw a new front end on it! Same deal if you fill it with lead.

I own both but I still recommend the osprey over the tirant.

r2kba
10-09-2010, 20:39
I haven't made that decision.

I am trying to work it backwards. If I find the gun that works, love the gun as just a gun, then find a suppressor.....

And don't decide just because someone told you to buy something based on a list of DB reduction numbers. I would try to find someone who has a can that everyone here or elsewhere tells you sucks, and see for yourself, then go find one that everyone tells you is the best sometime. Decide for yourself. If you were in my area, I'd gladly let you shoot mine. I've made all my can purchase decisions without being a member of any paid subscription forums and have zero problems with any of them.

Very unlikely you'll notice or remember any difference. SWR,Gemtech,AAC to name JUST a few, all make cans that are pretty much the same in outright DB reduction. Putting wet substances into anything other than a .22 can is asking for un-necessary hassles. Cleaning/caked on material, excessive pressure and damage.

My MM9 in the photo is hearing safe with 147Grain ammo and is not bad even with 115gr compared to what it would be otherwise. The 9MM can market is huge. Look at the cans and see what one offers you the most versatility. Other than quality and product reputation, thats the reason I went with the MM9. I go from 9mm AR15 to pistol can real fast and the DB reduction numbers posted anywhere are rarely noticed unless side-by-side compared.

Bravo 1
10-10-2010, 06:37
:whistling:

Ummmm,, most pistol cans are DESIGNED to run wet, so pressures aren't a concern.

Unless you have a cheap, non-hard anodized aluminum can that is.

Bravo 1
10-10-2010, 06:40
The reasons you gave are why I like the Abraxas. It's not the quietest can, but it's about the smallest and lightest 9mm can you can find. Sure, it's not quiet when "Dry" but that's okay. It is so small that you don't need raised sights on a Glock. It also is compareable in size to my smallest 22 can.

If you like that 1980's tech AWC product you will love a real can.

Bravo 1
10-10-2010, 06:43
Anybody who wants to see numbers,,they should check out NFATALK,,,,,dot com.

Real cans, owned by real people, shooting real weapons,who donate their time weapons,cans and ammo.

not cans sent "specifically to be tested" with ammo to boot. Like a certain "tester" does.

RED64CJ5
10-10-2010, 07:22
If you like that 1980's tech AWC product you will love a real can.

So you're telling me there is a "real can" that is as small and effective for the size? I realize I could get a quieter can (no doubt about that). But finding one comparable in size/performance was nearly impossible.

r2kba
10-10-2010, 09:34
:whistling:

Ummmm,, most pistol cans are DESIGNED to run wet, so pressures aren't a concern.

Unless you have a cheap, non-hard anodized aluminum can that is.

Nah what I'm saying is, messing with lubricants in a can is a pain in the ass and does not add significantly to the DB reduction. Not to mention a mess. A can IMO should be able to perform at it's best dry. If you WANT To squirt some goo in your can, thats up to you however It's not something I do.

Fireman1291
10-10-2010, 10:29
Like I said. The Osprey and TiRant blow the others away DRY and WET. As tested by independants like NFAtalk.org(free), silencerresearch.com($30), Silencerco(free, on youtube)

Why anyone would buy a can thats louder is beyond me, I dont care if Item A costs $300 more than Item B, If Item A is the quiestest can on the market. Ill just save up for another month. Patience people, buy the best or B*tch like the rest.

r2kba
10-10-2010, 13:51
Like I said, too. It's not just DB reduction that sells a suppressor. Once a unit is hearing safe, the rest is opinion, preference and where it will be installed.

Fireman1291
10-10-2010, 18:40
Well, hearing safe is anything under 140dB and even 139dB will damage your hearing. Its acummulative, so id rather have a osprey that's 125dry and 122wet than a trident or multimount that's 130's dry/wet. Of course if i had it my way id own one of each..but funds don't allow. lol :)

r2kba
10-10-2010, 20:37
Well, hearing safe is anything under 140dB and even 139dB will damage your hearing. Its acummulative, so id rather have a osprey that's 125dry and 122wet than a trident or multimount that's 130's dry/wet. Of course if i had it my way id own one of each..but funds don't allow. lol :)

The numbers aside, show me how to screw that osprey onto my AR15 and you might have something. The designs are not comparable because their designs are made for completely different reasons.

Bravo 1
10-11-2010, 12:59
Nah what I'm saying is, messing with lubricants in a can is a pain in the ass and does not add significantly to the DB reduction. Not to mention a mess. A can IMO should be able to perform at it's best dry. If you WANT To squirt some goo in your can, thats up to you however It's not something I do.

Ahhh, I gotcha.:cool: I prefer to shoot dry myself mostly due to laziness. I hate putting crap in my can and hoping it doesn't blow back because I put a little too much in.

My 1 exception is my KAC USP can.IT is stupid quiet wet and just plain fun to shoot at distance with my Tactical HK.

As far as ablative media, water is my preferred poison, water gel is probably better but it is messier and not as convienient.

Bravo 1
10-11-2010, 13:04
Like I said. The Osprey and TiRant blow the others away DRY and WET. As tested by independants like NFAtalk.org(free), silencerresearch.com($30), Silencerco(free, on youtube)

Why anyone would buy a can thats louder is beyond me, I dont care if Item A costs $300 more than Item B, If Item A is the quiestest can on the market. Ill just save up for another month. Patience people, buy the best or B*tch like the rest.

Dude, I have watched your Osprey, read the reviews and actually tested with Bill. Yes, I have an account on NFA talk too:whistling:

The Osprey is one of those things that only looks right 1 place.

That place is hanging off on an HK. Stick it on a Beretta,Sig or Glock and it will look silly., Probably not as bad on the Glock, but really, it is a funky looking can, albeit quiet.

Bravo 1
10-11-2010, 13:09
The numbers aside, show me how to screw that osprey onto my AR15 and you might have something. The designs are not comparable because their designs are made for completely different reasons.

Show me how it will fit a 9mm AR,Uzi,or any 9mm pistol period, much less in seconds and effectively at that.

Fireman1291
10-12-2010, 05:17
Osprey on a AR15 with 300 whisper upper
http://www.youtube.com/user/Silencerco?blend=2&ob=1#p/u/5/P-6jd2gBvxg

Whats the problem with attaching? You mean its hard to orient the can and lock it in place? Dont understand?

r2kba
10-12-2010, 10:43
Osprey on a AR15 with 300 whisper upper
http://www.youtube.com/user/Silencerco?blend=2&ob=1#p/u/5/P-6jd2gBvxg

Whats the problem with attaching? You mean its hard to orient the can and lock it in place? Dont understand?

Thats fine if your barrel sticks out 10 inches past the handguards like that one, but it'll never fit on a typical SBR 9mm rifle, which is the norm with 9mm ar15s. It certainly would never fit mine.

My point is, the osprey is a weird looking can and its appealing to a certain group. For HK enthusiasts, it's the holy grail of cans and I get that. Though, this design limits it's appeal to the general market. An HK pistol will never be in my safe as I'm not impressed with them out of preference ( unless its free ), and a can that has HK lines will never also as it would look weird on anything else as it matches the HK style.

Each to his own on this one.

r2kba
10-12-2010, 10:46
Ahhh, I gotcha.:cool: I prefer to shoot dry myself mostly due to laziness. I hate putting crap in my can and hoping it doesn't blow back because I put a little too much in.

My 1 exception is my KAC USP can.IT is stupid quiet wet and just plain fun to shoot at distance with my Tactical HK.

As far as ablative media, water is my preferred poison, water gel is probably better but it is messier and not as convienient.

I put some CLP in my .22 can years ago and got tired of being splattered with goo. Never done it since. After a few mags, the can is too hot to unscrew and put more goo in it so the benefits are short lived and as you said, is a pain.

RWBlue
10-12-2010, 11:19
This will be the forth suppressor. I have paid for my education. Each of the vendors brings something different to the table.

And don't decide just because someone told you to buy something based on a list of DB reduction numbers.

That is just one factor that comes into play.

The factors and the order I am currently thinking are:
Reliability with the chosen platform(s) (Glock, AR-15 300-221, lever action rifle)
DB reduction
Support after the sale (SWR is great, Gemtech is less than great.)
Size
Weight
Ability to shoot 22LR, 9mm, subsonic 300-221, subsonic 38/357 rounds from the same suppressor (Bonus would be shooting full powered 357max and full powered 300-221 through the suppressor).
Support full auto fire (I would like to have limited/very limited ability. Let’s say being able to do a mag dump, then let the gun cool.).
Continuous fire before needing to refresh the suppressor (wipes, gel…)
Shape (round is normal, if square is better and will fit inside the AR-15 rail….)

This being said, I am not ready to make this purchase.

RWBlue
10-12-2010, 11:28
I put some CLP in my .22 can years ago and got tired of being splattered with goo. Never done it since. After a few mags, the can is too hot to unscrew and put more goo in it so the benefits are short lived and as you said, is a pain.

You should try some ultra sound gel in a 45ACP suppressor. I don't have much splash back and the sound reduction is worth the effort.

BTW, if the suppressor is getting to hot to handle, you are shooting much faster than I.

r2kba
10-13-2010, 00:25
This will be the forth suppressor. I have paid for my education. Each of the vendors brings something different to the table.

That is just one factor that comes into play.

The factors and the order I am currently thinking are:
Reliability with the chosen platform(s) (Glock, AR-15 300-221, lever action rifle)
DB reduction
Support after the sale (SWR is great, Gemtech is less than great.)
Size
Weight
Ability to shoot 22LR, 9mm, subsonic 300-221, subsonic 38/357 rounds from the same suppressor (Bonus would be shooting full powered 357max and full powered 300-221 through the suppressor).
Support full auto fire (I would like to have limited/very limited ability. Let’s say being able to do a mag dump, then let the gun cool.).
Continuous fire before needing to refresh the suppressor (wipes, gel…)
Shape (round is normal, if square is better and will fit inside the AR-15 rail….)

This being said, I am not ready to make this purchase.

What makes you think Gemtech wont stand by their product? Are you going to ask your can to do something its not designed for, then ask the company to repair it for free? Believe it or not, there are some dimwits who think this is OK to do. I'm sure you have read their posts on the internet.

I would do a mag dump through just about any can. Thats not what will damage it. Doing a 2nd, and third may though. But, with a gun like a .223 AR15, it has more to do with heat than with the can itself in many cases. The barrel will heat up so much, deforming the bullet to where it starts to tumble out of the end of the muzzle. Most any can would become damaged.

r2kba
10-13-2010, 00:30
You should try some ultra sound gel in a 45ACP suppressor. I don't have much splash back and the sound reduction is worth the effort.

BTW, if the suppressor is getting to hot to handle, you are shooting much faster than I.

Nah I've just quit doing it. Its not something I bother with. All my cans work just fine without anything else in it and I've never put anything in my rifle caliber cans for obvious reasons. I've decided keeping them dry prevents build up of crud and this is more important than a few more DB. With Subsonic loads in 9mm and .22 it was just making it a little more hearing-safe and was moot as it was way below the point where it hurts the ears anyways.

Careby
10-13-2010, 06:17
...Support after the sale (SWR is great, Gemtech is less than great.)...

What makes you think Gemtech wont stand by their product?

Yes, please tell us. Have you had a bad experience with Gemtech? I have three Gemtech cans and I have no complaints.

Fireman1291
10-13-2010, 08:50
Ok, I see where youre coming from on the SBR 9mm, yeah, it wouldnt fit under the handguards. I wonder If Silencerco is going to release a cylindrical suppressor one day....most likely but time will tell.

To the OP, if you want to shoot the multi calibers through the 9mm can including 22lr and dont want to change out wipes then I can only recommend the YHM Cobra2 as it breaks down to a monocore for easy cleaning and you can shoot .22lr through it as you can clean it. Plus they are super cheap if you can find a decent dealer....like $400.

Bravo 1
10-13-2010, 13:49
:rofl:

Cobra 2 ?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if anybody goes through the pain of getting a tax stamp and spending their cash on a gun muffler,,then they really should not sweat the cash difference between a great can and an okay can.

You will have it forever, never be able to really sell it due to to the tax stamp, possibly multiple if the purchaser is out of state,

,,so buy a great can, bleed once and be happy with it until you die, because if you buy an okay can and save a few bucks you will have an okay can that you are not happy with and can't get rid of and find yourself wanting.

Fireman1291
10-13-2010, 18:53
This is why im pushing a osprey or Tirant but they dont listen so let them buy a multirole can like the Cobra2 and realize the waste it is. Gotta learn the hard way.

RWBlue
10-13-2010, 19:25
Yes, please tell us. Have you had a bad experience with Gemtech? I have three Gemtech cans and I have no complaints.

Have you sent one back to be worked on?

I have had this conversation with Gemech and I have sent a suppressor back to SWR.

With SWR, I had to pay shipping one way for something I did. They fixed the issue and I believe, they incorporated a fix into their new models.

With Gemtech, we had the conversation. I didn't like the results. I think they have a design flaw. They don't. Long story cut short because I don't want them to know who I am, I am very tempted to not use this suppressor on all the weapons as intended, but put it on one gun and call it quits. But this will mean buying another suppressor for other platforms and .....

BTW, I am not talking about heating the gun and causing problems. I am not talking about a baffle strike with either suppressor.

Bravo 1
10-15-2010, 14:21
This is why im pushing a osprey or Tirant but they dont listen so let them buy a multirole can like the Cobra2 and realize the waste it is. Gotta learn the hard way.

I agree with ya that the Osprey is a great can, I also prefer smaller builders than the bigger ones.

There are only 2 things I do not like about it

1: not truly multi-platform

2: Looks weird on anything other than an HK.

But a MM and a Trident are a LONG way from okay cans, they are great cans that have proven time and time again.

Bravo 1
10-15-2010, 14:24

I have had this conversation with Gemech and I have sent a suppressor back to SWR.

With SWR, I had to pay shipping one way for something I did. They fixed the issue and I believe, they incorporated a fix into their new models.

With Gemtech, we had the conversation. I didn't like the results. I think they have a design flaw. They don't. Long story cut short because I don't want them to know who I am, I am very tempted to not use this suppressor on all the weapons as intended, but put it on one gun and call it quits. But this will mean buying another suppressor for other platforms and .....

BTW, I am not talking about heating the gun and causing problems. I am not talking about a baffle strike with either suppressor.

AWC is way worse, they have terrible CS and their machine work ( cough) is even worse than that.

r2kba
10-16-2010, 11:08

Thats all fine and dandy of course, but I haven't the slightest idea what your referring to. Theres nothing " wrong " with the MM9 I've been using for several months. The "design" works fine for me and many others. Its a joy to shoot .

RWBlue
10-16-2010, 11:41
Thats all fine and dandy of course, but I haven't the slightest idea what your referring to. Theres nothing " wrong " with the MM9 I've been using for several months. The "design" works fine for me and many others. Its a joy to shoot .

I am not talking about a MM9.

If you get a bad product from a company, do you want to go back and buy another product from them? I would rather go elsewhere, because I can.

r2kba
10-16-2010, 20:48
I am not talking about a MM9.

If you get a bad product from a company, do you want to go back and buy another product from them? I would rather go elsewhere, because I can.

I gotcha now. Well again, I have no idea what product your referring to so I can't comment on that then.