Gen4 G17 FTE issues. Need help please! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gen4 G17 FTE issues. Need help please!

outlaw1niner
10-02-2010, 22:25
I have a Gen 4 G17 that has had nagging falure to eject issues since I bought it back in Feb.

To date I have tried the following:
Federal Champion 115gr. FMJ(6 FTE out of 700 rds.)
Blazer Brass 115gr. FMJ(2 FTE out of 150 rds.)
RWS 124gr. FMJ(1 FTE out of 300 rds.)
American Eagle 124gr. FMJ(1 FTE out of 200 rds.)
Sellier & Bellot 124gr. FMJ "Police"(3 FTE out of 300 rds)
Winchester Q4318 124gr. FMJ NATO(1 FTE out of 100 rds.)
WWB 115gr. FMJ(no issues out of 150 rds.)
Speer Lawman 124gr. FMJ(no issues out of 200rds.)

That is 2100 rounds with 14 FTE's, very un-Glocklike. BTW, about half those rounds were fired with the original unmarked recoil spring assembly, and the other half were with the "02" marked recoil spring assembly Glock sent me as a "fix" after I called and explained the issues I'm having.

I have asked several times for advice about this problem, but no one seems to have an answer, or they just aren't willing to offer advice. Afterall, Glocks are "perfect" you know, it couldn't possibly be the gun, it has to be shooter error, or bad ammo. I am so sick of that attitude. I have called Glock Inc. several times, and I just keep getting the same rehearsed answer, "It isn't a target pistol, it is only designed to run with full power NATO spec or +P ammo." That answer is BS to me, and as you can see from my list, I have had FTE's even with NATO spec ammo. I don't think it is too much to ask that my pistol run reliably with ALL readily available 9mm ammunition. Especially since all the other Glocks I own/have owned, run with any ammo I feed them, and I've been shooting Glocks almost exclusively for about the last 12 years. It is very frustrating.

I have considered an aftermarket recoil spring assembly, or that reducing ring that allows the use of a Gen 3 recoil assembly, but I have read several reports that those products damage the frame because the bushing that reduces the recoil spring hole in the slide hits the frame.

I am at my wits end and am about to just dump this pistol in favor of a Gen 3, or just ditching Glocks altogether and going to a different platform(GASP!)

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

JR
10-03-2010, 20:35
The aftermarket crowd has offered dual recoil springs since the first Glock hit the market. Every one of these manufactures has a clause stating this system requires premium ammunition to run reliably. Some guns may run using 115 gr ammo, some will not. The standard reply of the industry is, RUN HOTTER AMMO.

I am totally BLOWN AWAY Glock Inc decided to offer the Gen4 pistols with their own version of the dual recoil spring. Were they NOT PAYING ATTENTION?

My advise.... Shoot the hottest ammo you can afford. Stick with it, your going to overcome this issue at any time.
If you don’t like that answer..... Sell the gun and pick up a Gen3. (I would)