Adjusting My New Sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting My New Sights

rick7938
10-03-2010, 11:27
Went Friday and had TruGlo sights installed on my G30SF and G21SF during Glock Day at the gun shop near me. Took it to my range today and found that the G21 shoots about 2" left of POA and the G30 shoots about 1" left of POA - each at 15 yards.

The sights were installed with red thread locker on the front sight screw and also the locking set screw on the rear sight. The shop owner said that he will make adjustments as required, so I may give him one try, but he is about an hour drive away - not very convenient. I have ordered some nylon drifts from Brownell to adjust the rear sight if needed later.

My questions:

1. Will I have to heat the rear sight to release the red thread locker on the set screw?
2. Will the heat damage the Tritium inserts?
3. Will I need to reapply the thread sealer once the set screw is broken free and retightened?

I really like the sights vs the stock sights. I like the taller front blade and more light on each side of the front sight. Thanks if advance of any guidance.

AA#5
10-03-2010, 11:41
Went Friday and had TruGlo sights installed on my G30SF and G21SF during Glock Day at the gun shop near me. Took it to my range today and found that the G21 shoots about 2" left of POA and the G30 shoots about 1" left of POA - each at 15 yards.

The sights were installed with red thread locker on the front sight screw and also the locking set screw on the rear sight. The shop owner said that he will make adjustments as required, so I may give him one try, but he is about an hour drive away - not very convenient. I have ordered some nylon drifts from Brownell to adjust the rear sight if needed later.

My questions:

1. Will I have to heat the rear sight to release the red thread locker on the set screw?
2. Will the heat damage the Tritium inserts?
3. Will I need to reapply the thread sealer once the set screw is broken free and retightened?

I really like the sights vs the stock sights. I like the taller front blade and more light on each side of the front sight. Thanks if advance of any guidance.

I've never understood the purpose of Red Threadlocker on a rear sight - the one that may need adjustment. I've installed night sights on 3 Glocks and one Sigarms P220 & fired thousands of rounds without the sight moving. I could see using it on the front sight screw (and I have on Glocks) but not the rear sight. It just makes it difficult to adjust. I invested the $100.00 in a sight pusher.

BTW, I've never filed down a rear sight to fit the dovetail. It's possible your gunsmith did that to speed up the installation & used threadlocker to compensate for the loose fit.

bentbiker
10-03-2010, 12:48
Rick, I'm not sure how much experience you have with the Glock trigger, but nearly every new right handed Glock shooter will push shots left until they get used to it. If the sights appear to be centered, you should make sure this isn't just a learning curve that you are on. I'd touch a soldering iron to the appropriate area to heat that thread locker, if you feel it is necessary.

bentbiker
10-03-2010, 12:55
BTW, I've never filed down a rear sight to fit the dovetail. It's possible your gunsmith did that to speed up the installation & used threadlocker to compensate for the loose fit.
I believe every sight manufacturer will tell you that you should file the sight down if it is an excessively tight fit rather than muscle it in with a pusher. Tightness varies significantly between sight manufacturers. The threadlock in question was used on a set screw, not in the dovetail. The 'smith was not trying to speed up the installation, he was being professional.

ipscshooter
10-03-2010, 12:56
Rick, I'm not sure how much experience you have with the Glock trigger, but nearly every new right handed Glock shooter will push shots left until they get used to it. If the sights appear to be centered, you should make sure this isn't just a learning curve that you are on.

Agree.

Have you measured the rear sight to see if it's centered?

If it is centered, shoot the gun from a rest. Squeezing the trigger STRAIGHT back.

AA#5
10-03-2010, 12:59
I believe every sight manufacturer will tell you that you should file the sight down if it is an excessively tight fit rather than muscle it in with a pusher. Tightness varies significantly between sight manufacturers. The threadlock in question was used on a set screw, not in the dovetail. The 'smith was not trying to speed up the installation, he was being professional.'

I might file the sight base ONLY if I absolutely couldn't move it but I've never experienced that. The steel in the sight is softer than the steel in the slide, so it's supposed to be a crush fit & it should be difficult to push the sight in.

rick7938
10-03-2010, 13:52
Thanks for the replies. I did shoot the guns from a rest, which feels totally unnatural to me. A rest tends to put my wrist at an odd angle, and I don't think I grip the gun the same as when shooting free-hand no matter how hard I try. I almost never shoot anything from a rest except for the initial sighting in of a rifle. I will put a couple of hundred more rounds through the guns free-hand before I try to move anything. I don't have a lot of experience with the Glock system. I have shot Colt 1911's for 40 years, only going to Glocks over the past year, so I'm sure I am still very low on the learning curve. I just bought some Azoom snap caps to practice dry-firing. (Please save any flaming comments about dry-firing without snap caps. I'm going to use them anyway.)

With the unnatural feel of the shooting rest plus my inexperience with the Glock trigger, I can see that it most probably is my problem. However, if I discover that the pistols continue to shoot left, I will return the guns to the shop for a little adjustment.

Many thanks for the feedback.

bentbiker
10-03-2010, 14:09
'

I might file the sight base ONLY if I absolutely couldn't move it but I've never experienced that. The steel in the sight is softer than the steel in the slide, so it's supposed to be a crush fit & it should be difficult to push the sight in.You might want to read Meprolight's instructions re this subject at http://************/Metrolight-Instructions -- especially where it says, "NEVER FORCE A SIGHT INTO THE DOVETAIL(S) AS THIS COULD CAUSE DAMAGE. If necessary file the sight to fit." You can actually crush the tritium vials if you muscle it in.