Range Report : 930 SPX [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Range Report : 930 SPX

ScrappyDoo
10-03-2010, 11:32
I'm having major surgery in two weeks, and it could affect me for the rest of my life (and of course, I could just wake up dead)... Anyway for a 29yearold former badass its really starting to get to me, and shooting is really calming my nerves. So a week or two I went to the range for an hour and realized how relaxed it made me, I was really able to zone in and concentrate on the task and not on total disc replacement... so

I've been going almost every day. Mostly shooting .22's but I have several different .22's, all different styles, plenty ammo, and I usually bring something else. Well I drug out the Mossberg 930 SPX the other day.

To refresh, mine has a custom Choate +1 extension (rather than the factory Choate +3) and also the bright orange follower. To conclude before I even begin, this shotgun IS DEAD NUTS RELIABLE, ACCURATE, AND AWESOME!

I started out with all buckshot, with maybe 20-25 loads ... the 15 loads from the original box of Winchester 15 00 Buck I bought with the gun in Jan/Feb... I shot the 5 rounds of Hornady TAP I usually keep in the tube, and then the buck in the stock saddle. Then I used whatever remaining loose buck I had, and let me tell you, this thing PACKS A WALLOP but with the ghost ring sights, its dead accurate. I literally at around, 7-15 yards, had the entire silhouette of circles/person on the target removed, working inside-out.

Then I moved to some cheaper 7 1/2 and 8 shot birdshots I had lying around, while kicking much less, they still had tight patterns close and cycled fine. I can not stress enough the reliability. I actually tried to mess around by loading only a few shells, packing it full of shells, one less, two less, etc... At all times perfectly reliable.

I am not experienced with the FN SLP nor it's alternate pistons, so I can't speak of that. And of course there are many other great shotguns. But I bought the Mossberg 930 SPX because when I joined GT on Jan, the 930 SPX was *ALL THE RAGE* and there were LOTS of posts across this forum about people wanting them and not finding them. If you recall, I had fallen for the Benelli M2 Tactical for over $1200 and wanted it bad, and I had that money saved, but when I stumbled upon the SPX accidentially at Dick's, I had to have it, and I am very very happy.

Let me ask those more familiar like Mr. McGuire and Mixflip, will these guns (Mr McGuire, gas-operated semis, and Mixflip, the 930 SPX specific, ) will they "soften" and "break in" as they get used or is there no "break in period?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

mixflip
10-03-2010, 19:06
I am no expert but my 930SPX doesnt seem to have changed? It has been running the same since day one. Reliably! I have only ran a little over 1000 rounds through it though. Summer was blazing hot so I didnt get out to the desert that much. Thank God for fall!!!!

The only thing I think I noticed is that is cycles slightly slower as it gets dirty at th eend of a long day blasting. i dont know if its really slower due to carbon build up or I am just tired though?

I would think that any machine that has interfacing metal parts will eventually find their sweet spot and it will run better over time. (if parts dont break)