Choices for budget scopes [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Choices for budget scopes

WayaX
10-03-2010, 11:51
I'm looking for a quick cheap set-up for deer hunting this year (I haven't gone hunting in ages, and don't want to borrow my dad's set-up this year).

I've found the Burris Fullfield II, and the Vortex Viper. My main requirements and holding zero, and sturdiness. I take good care of my guns, but they do get banged around a good deal.

I know you get what you pay for in optics, but I'm not a huge hunter, or long distance shooter (>300 yards).

DJ Niner
10-03-2010, 22:13
I can heartily endorse the Burris FullField II. I've had one for 6-7 years, and have had absolutely no problems with it at all. It hasn't got banged around much, but it was on an AR-style hunting rifle, and that weapon got shot -- a LOT. Varmints and furbearers and targets; seems like I was shooting something with it every week for the first few years. The Ballistic Plex option makes longer range shots much easier, but doesn't get in the way or clutter-up the reticle for the close/fast shots.

SWFA dot com usually has Burris scopes at a good price (not connected to them, but I'm a happy repeat customer):

http://swfa.com/Burris-Fullfield-II-Rifle-Scopes-C56.aspx

methodius
10-03-2010, 22:24
There is also another slightly cheaper option also manufactured by Burris. Pentax makes some really nice scopes and I have one on each of my 3 kids' deer rifles - and you know kids are not that careful! They have held zero and survived three years each of deer season and range time. They have bullet drop recticles and the glass is quite clear. I also have a couple of Nikon scopes and they are good as well. Burris/Pentax is a good choice.

A Pentax 3-10X50 w/ bullet drop recticle can be had for around $100+ S&H

kek116
10-03-2010, 23:09
The revived Redfield line looks like it might hold some promise. Built in the good old USA by Leupold & Stevens Co. Prices start at $130.

http://redfield.com/riflescopes/