Mossberg 500 load limits? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500 load limits?

MavsX
10-04-2010, 10:44
So i've got a 12 ga mossberg 500 mariner with knox stock. I finally shot it over the weekend for the first time. I had a few times where the fore-end wouldn't slide down to eject the shell. The little slide lock behind the trigger guard was pushed in, and i couldn't do anything to get it open. I had to really manhandle the fore-end and that got the extractor to eject the shell. Also, another time i had a shell get caught in the ejection port.(stovepipe)

My question is..do you think i'm just not pulling the fore-end down with as much force as i need to? Or am i using shotgun loads that are too much for my shotgun?

Is there a limit to what can be shot out of my sweet mariner? I was shooting buckshot out of it, and i was shooting some rifled slugs as well. I think the slugs were at 1600 fps.

thanks fellas.

taurusfan
10-04-2010, 11:18
I own 5 different mossy 500's and have only experienced what you are talking about with rusty (got left wet) shells while waterfowling. There is usually significant play in the 500 action so you shouldnt be expanding metal enough to cause a jam. That said, the slide should operate after every shot without depressing the lock.

As far as the question, NO there should be no commercially marketed ammo that the 500 cant/wont shoot.

MavsX
10-04-2010, 11:36
alright, thanks for your reply. I didn't think there were any ammo restrictions, but i'm glad i asked. Basically, i've shot my friends, 870, and 500's, so i finally got my own. I guess i just need to work the kinks out with it, since, like i said it was the first time i was shooting the shotgun. thanks

also, like i mentioned the slide lock was already pushed in, and i was unable to pull the fore-end down, i finally "ripped" it down, and then the shell came flying out.

Jon_R
10-04-2010, 11:40
Did you add anything to it like a Side Saddle?

I have numerous 500s and 590s and have no issue. I added Mesa Tactical Side Saddle on my 500 mariner and it caused some resistance on the bolt. The bolt was rubbing on the replacement screw for that holds in the ejector. I filed down the screw head a little and the problem went away.

Make sure your action nut is tight.

vafish
10-04-2010, 11:44
I own 5 different mossy 500's and have only experienced what you are talking about with rusty (got left wet) shells while waterfowling. There is usually significant play in the 500 action so you shouldnt be expanding metal enough to cause a jam. That said, the slide should operate after every shot without depressing the lock.

As far as the question, NO there should be no commercially marketed ammo that the 500 cant/wont shoot.

No commercially available 2 3/4" or 3" ammunition that the 500 can't handle.

If he is shooting 3 1/2" ammunition he will have problems.

MavsX
10-04-2010, 11:45
i haven't added anything except the knox stock (which i love by the way) Not only does it work, but i think it looks cool.

what do you mean by action nut?

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn279/junkmailfabo/IMG_1364.jpg

heres my shotgun...where are you talking about?

MavsX
10-04-2010, 11:46
No commercially available 2 3/4" or 3" ammunition that the 500 can't handle.

If he is shooting 3 1/2" ammunition he will have problems.

yeah i was shooting 2 3/4 buckshot that i got from wal-mart in a 25 round box, and some winchester 3" rifled slugs that i got from outdoor world. I'm glad to hear i can pretty much shoot anything.

wait, can my mossberg handle magnum loads?

Jon_R
10-04-2010, 11:57
i haven't added anything except the knox stock (which i love by the way) Not only does it work, but i think it looks cool.

what do you mean by action nut?

heres my shotgun...where are you talking about?

The action nut is at the end of the forearm where you pump it. If you take it apart and separate the forearm assembly from the rest of the shotgun the end of it farthest from the shooter is a nut that has two notches on it. Just make sure it is tight. If it is loose the shotgun will perform pretty strangely. I am not sure it will cause what you are seeing but I don't know it won't.

Part 6 in this diagram.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/sid=163/schematicsdetail/590__12_Gauge

MavsX
10-04-2010, 12:00
The action nut is at the end of the forearm where you pump it. If you take it apart and separate the forearm assembly from the rest of the shotgun the end of it farthest from the shooter is a nut that has two notches on it. Just make sure it is tight. If it is loose the shotgun will perform pretty strangely. I am not sure it will cause what you are seeing but I don't know it won't.

Part 6 in this diagram.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/sid=163/schematicsdetail/590__12_Gauge

oh okay, i know that nut. I remember it was a pain in the ass to try and take it off. Okay, I'll double check that it is as tight as i can get it. Thanks for finding that link, that made it very clear as to what you were referring to.

Jon_R
10-04-2010, 12:15
yeah i was shooting 2 3/4 buckshot that i got from wal-mart in a 25 round box, and some winchester 3" rifled slugs that i got from outdoor world. I'm glad to hear i can pretty much shoot anything.

wait, can my mossberg handle magnum loads?

Yes it will up to 3" shells. The shotgun has a 3" chamber so don't shoot 3 1/2" shells in it. I avoid magnum loads but I don't have a fancy stock. :)

MavsX
10-04-2010, 12:17
Yes it will up to 3" shells. The shotgun has a 3" chamber so don't shoot 3 1/2" shells in it. I avoid magnum loads but I don't have a fancy stock. :)

but you're only avoiding the magnum rounds because they hurt, not because the gun can't handle them. okay good. yeah, the stock is cool. I actually didn't like the way it looked, when i first saw them. But, i think it's sweet now.

Jon_R
10-04-2010, 12:29
but you're only avoiding the magnum rounds because they hurt, not because the gun can't handle them. okay good. yeah, the stock is cool. I actually didn't like the way it looked, when i first saw them. But, i think it's sweet now.

The gun can handle them fine. For my uses Magnum shells don't offer me anything additional to warrant the shoulder abuse so I don't shoot them. If OO Buck Standard is not enough or a 1oz slug at 1200 FPS is not enough then I should have brought the M1A. :)

dc2integra
10-04-2010, 19:56
I had the same problems you had on my mossberg 500.Is it new ?mine started with the same symptoms you just mentioned but thats because it was brand new and had no lubricant on the slide action bars.200 rounds later and well lubricated itruns like a champ

Buoyboy
10-04-2010, 20:42
I had a few times where the fore-end wouldn't slide down to eject the shell. The little slide lock behind the trigger guard was pushed in, and i couldn't do anything to get it open. I had to really manhandle the fore-end and that got the extractor to eject the shell. Also, another time i had a shell get caught in the ejection port.(stovepipe)

I recently purchased a 590A1 and I was having a similar problem. Thought it might have been the side saddle. What I found was that after chambering a round if I pulled the forearm back hard as I pulled the shotgun into my shoulder, the backward pressure would keep the bolt from unlocking after I pulled the trigger. Pushing the release made no difference. I reproduced it w/ my 500 when I was dry firing. You might be doing the same thing. You might be able to reproduce this dry firing. Try not putting rearward pressure on the forearm and see if it still happens.

MavsX
10-05-2010, 07:21
I had the same problems you had on my mossberg 500.Is it new ?mine started with the same symptoms you just mentioned but thats because it was brand new and had no lubricant on the slide action bars.200 rounds later and well lubricated itruns like a champ

Yeah, she's brand new. Or at least, i hadn't shot her yet. I still need to clean it after shooting it this weekend. I'll make sure she's extra sloppy for ya. HaHa...thanks man!

MavsX
10-05-2010, 07:23
I recently purchased a 590A1 and I was having a similar problem. Thought it might have been the side saddle. What I found was that after chambering a round if I pulled the forearm back hard as I pulled the shotgun into my shoulder, the backward pressure would keep the bolt from unlocking after I pulled the trigger. Pushing the release made no difference. I reproduced it w/ my 500 when I was dry firing. You might be doing the same thing. You might be able to reproduce this dry firing. Try not putting rearward pressure on the forearm and see if it still happens.

good idea, i know i definitely pull the gun into my shoulder as to brace myself for the freaking slugs. HaHa, i was trying to work on my stance too. I think all of this just takes time and practice. Thanks for your idea.

Ferdinandd
10-09-2010, 07:48
Check it for a rough/dirty chamber. My most recently acquired new 870 would stick shut when shooting magnum slug loads that were roll crimped - like the commercially loaded ones. It required two hands on the forearm with the butt against my hip to open it. This happened consistently. I didn't have this issue with standard crimped 00bk or anything else. After a thorough cleaning and 100+ rounds I haven't seen the issue, although I've not shot any more magnum slug loads either.

Justjmfk
12-05-2010, 18:25
I also have the same question i bought a 870 with the 18"barrel and all the reciver says is 870 . I was wondering if magnum buckshot was ok . The owners manual lacks the info i am looking for. My other 870 says express magnum on the receiver.....

mike55
12-06-2010, 06:26
I have a 930 that was working fine until the shells took so much effort to eject that it would only fire single shot. My problem was a dry chamber. Since I learned to sprits a little lube into the chamber whenever I take it out I have not had any problems.

unit1069
12-08-2010, 20:46
Shoot another 100 or so rounds through it and make sure it's lubed good and then see if it's getting better.