Leaded .45 Ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Leaded .45 Ammo

Vozella
10-04-2010, 12:47
I've asked this on another forum also. How bad will it hurt, if any, my G21 to put about 750 swc leaded ammo through it? I picked up the ammo about 10 years ago and used it in a 1911 without problems. I hate to waste the ammo but do not want to destroy my G21 either.

JR
10-04-2010, 19:57
There are a couple issues you may need to deal with first.
1 The Glock feed ramp is not conducive to use with the SWC profile. If the round actually feeds without modifying the ramp I will be SHOCKED.
2 The rifling in the OEM barrels is not conducive to use with lead bullets. If you insist on shooting lead anyway I highly recommend you FIRST remove any copper fouling. Once you start shooting the lead do not shoot any jacked or plated ammo before completely removing the lead fouling.

Vozella
10-04-2010, 21:34
Sounds like the smart thing is don't shoot the leaded SWC. BTW, would the SWC jam and cause the fired round to FTE? I had several FTE's with my 1911 using the SWC lead.

JR
10-05-2010, 19:34
The Glock feed ramp was not designed to feed SWC. There is not a problem at all. It simply was not designed to fire SWC.

It’s the same thing as wanting to use your car to haul pigs, goats & cows to market? Yah sure, you can modify a car to do that, but what the heck? Wouldn’t a truck be better right from the start? If you want to shoot lead bullets pick up an after market barrel (preferably LWD) and use a truncated bullet profile.