Fiocchi 158 Grain 9mm Subsonic [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fiocchi 158 Grain 9mm Subsonic

fasted
10-04-2010, 23:52
Any info would be appreciated. I ordered 5 boxes and recieved them. They are said to be shooting at 940fps.

I am shooting a G34 with Dawson Precision sights, stock recoil guide rod and spring, but a full comp spring kit (trigger, firing pin plunger, and 4lb striker spring). Stock barrel.

Any info on the POI, malfunctions, and/or primer info would be appreciated before I go to a comp this weekend. I know I should go and shoot it, but I only have 250 rounds and cannot order more in time. If you know of any places that can ship faster than a week, with THIS PARTICULAR AMMO in stock, it would be appreciated.

Looking forward to the feedback, and hope this might help anyone out looking for a heavier round, as not many people have heard of 158 FMJ 9mm ammo.

Chris

Merkavaboy
10-05-2010, 03:23
Realistically there is no way for anyone to tell you how this ammo will function in your particular pistol. You'll just have test it out for yourself.

158gr bullets in 9mm are primarily for use in suppressed firearms. Israel Military Industries made a 158FMJ load with a light blue bullet tip for use in the UZI carbines and a 124FMJ subsonic with same blue bullet tip and a visable bullet cannilure just above the case mouth for pistols. IVI of Canada also made a heavy 158FMJ for use with the U.S. military "Hush Puppy" suppressed pistol weapons system.

The 158gr loads are not very well known and have been few and far between.

fasted
10-05-2010, 07:34
Thanks for the feedback. I have heard of the 158 grain and UZI connection. The highest grain I had heard of was a friend of mine re-loading 160 grain lead moly-coated rounds....but 158 was unheard of in manufactured ammo. I was just wondering if I should expect any cycling issues or if the primers are ridiculously hard. No one has shot this ammo, its that ahrd to come by???

Wil Terry
10-05-2010, 09:13
It will be now exactly what it was then, the absolute epitime of a low performance 38SPECIAL load +P factory load. On the other hand, for poking holes in tin cans it is a doozy !!!

Merkavaboy
10-05-2010, 10:43
Thanks for the feedback. I have heard of the 158 grain and UZI connection. The highest grain I had heard of was a friend of mine re-loading 160 grain lead moly-coated rounds....but 158 was unheard of in manufactured ammo. I was just wondering if I should expect any cycling issues or if the primers are ridiculously hard. No one has shot this ammo, its that ahrd to come by???

Because of the heavy weight and low velocity, don't be suprised if you may have extraction problems.

Fiocchi is good ammo. I've never had any problems with "hard primers" from any Fiocchi 9mm loads. I only have one box of their 158FMJ and that was primarily for my collection. I may eventually shoot some of this stuff if I decide to buy a few more boxes in the future.

fasted
10-05-2010, 10:45
Right on. Thanks for the feedback, telling me that "it is now what it was then" wasn't very helpful...

CitizenOfDreams
10-05-2010, 10:46
158 grains? Wow. 147gr bullets already look like little torpedoes, I can only imagine how long the 158gr ones are...

pimuk
10-06-2010, 00:39
A local ammo company carries 158 grain load and I'm sure the bullet is Fiocchi. At that velocity the recoil impulse is softest and slowest.

I personally like and trust a hot load like 124/1180 better.

DustyJacket
10-06-2010, 00:46
I've used 158gr (Prvi Partisan, not Fiocchi) and it worked great in several different pistols. Should be no issue for you.

POI depends on too many things, including the distance and how tightly you hold it.

fasted
10-06-2010, 09:23
Yeah, I'm not worried. I just wanted to see if all of a sudden everyone responded with horror stories of the ammo. I just bought them for IDPA shooting, that's all.

G19aps
10-06-2010, 10:40
Curious as to why you homed in on that particular weight/brand?

fasted
10-06-2010, 11:21
I wanted the heaviest and slowest shooting 9mm out there. I shoot IDPA and wipe the floor with one certain individual, he has since changed to some sort of handload technique...its ridiculous. You don't need earpro when he shoots. Indoors or outdoors. The rounds barely eject. And he started beating be. And bragging. Now, after I ordered it, I beat him this past weekend shooting Federal 115/ 1125fps. So the indian not the arrow phrase comes to mind. But it was very frustrating. It was just the guys' overall attitude. He shot nationals, and I have NO IDEA how he passed PF. Anyway, I went online and started looking, found this through midway, but they were not in stock.

G19aps
10-06-2010, 13:13
OH, ok that makes sense. I shoot IDPA too but have to keep myself a little distanced from the competitive side otherwise it'll become too expensive. I just use winchester white box 115gr. I think the whole downloading to barely make power factor instead of using regular power ammunition for the caliber is against the spirit of IDPA, but whatever. I know who the gamers are and who the truly good shooters are.

jwagess
10-06-2010, 13:28
I've shot several boxes through my G19 and had no malfunctions. The bullets seemed to really slap the targets hard.

ULVER
10-07-2010, 17:43
Ages ago, I had some 160gr. jacketed soft points in 9mm. I can't recall who made them, but they were not from (at the time) the major players. IIRC, it was during the "exotic ammo" craze of the 80's. It was definately factory ammo though.

What were they good for? Maybe a bowling pin in the day. :supergrin: