Go Navy!!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Go Navy!!!!

mixflip
10-05-2010, 01:13
Wow no Navy guys on GT?

Ok I'll start.

I went to boot in San Diego. (when there was such a thing)

FMF Corpsman with 1st Marine Expeditionary Brigade MCB Kaneohe Bay Hawaii. (back when there was such a thing)

Got to shoot everything the Marines had at the time from my little Beretta M9 all the way up to the M98 155mm Howitzer.

Saw 12 countries.

2 wars.

I dont miss it...but I dont regret any of it either. I spent so much time with the Marines that I sometimes have a hard time relating to my fellow squids...lol, but I wore my dog dish proudly regardless.

BillR
10-05-2010, 07:32
Thanks for your service. My son's currently serving in the Navy. He's an AM stationed in San Diego. (He also recently qualified Expert with the M9!)
He'll be leaving for a 6 month deployment in a few weeks.

xbuceye
10-05-2010, 07:41
I did 6 active and 6 in the reserves as an AMH. (AM) Stationed at NAS Norfolk working on CH-46's. Boot camp in Orlando with the girls! Did 2 North Atlantic cruises and 2 Meds. Saw 21 different countries and a lot of states. I still miss it, but my job which is still working on jets allows me to spend time on military bases, so at least I'm still around it.

10-05-2010, 09:43
Having served as a MARINE, my cover is off to all the Docs that served with us. Currently have a son LTJG on a Destroyer out of Norfolk serving somewhere in the area of IRAN. He is the VBSS Officer on that ship. He just got his next orders. He is coming to San Diego to serve on some staff job. It will be considered a sea tour yet not connected to any one ship. Not to show any favorites, had another son who went Airborne Rangers and seen a lot of interesting stuff.

Thanks to all the vets that served in any capacity.

mixflip
10-05-2010, 09:58
2952, thats awesome you have the Marines, Navy and Army covered in just one family. You must be proud.

We are the same way. Grandpa was Army in WWII, my dad was Army in Vietnam, I was Navy, 1 uncle was Air Force, 2 uncles were Marines and 2 cousins were Navy and 1 cousin is currently a female Marine.

md2lgyk
10-05-2010, 10:37
I joined in 1967. Boot camp in San Diego, ET-A school at Treasure Island, Nuclear Power School in Bainbridge, MD, miscellaneous other schools in New London, CT. Served for 8 years. Got out as ET-1(SS). Ended up retiring from the Air National Guard.

tuica
10-05-2010, 11:25
San Diego NTC, what a great base, and too bad it no longer exists. Spent much Grinder Time there in April of 1976. Cheers

AZ Husker
10-05-2010, 12:45
My daughter is an Ensign at Medical School in Bethesda.

mixflip
10-05-2010, 16:25
I met Pres. Bush Sr. at Bethesda when he had his heart palpitations. Actually I met his secret service detail lol. I was a boot E-1 be-boppin' down the hall with a backpack on my shoulder...and got bum rushed by several secret service guys as the Pres. Bush rolled by me at conversation distance.

He was coming in alot back then. I remember opening a curtain on the 4th floor to a sniper team outside covering the helo pad. You just dont see stuff like that everyday. I have no idea if thats standard procedure or if something special was going on?

National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda MD...good times!

10-05-2010, 17:44
Was attached to MCRD in San Diego for Schools BN for about 9 mos. We used to go to the Naval Station E Club for the Friday night dances. Lot of foxy Waves were there. Did well with the ladies. Took a little while for that to happen, and for the Sailors to leave us alone. Great place. Remember that Ship that was on land across from the airport.

mixflip
10-05-2010, 23:13
Oh yea the USS Neversail! I dont even remember what they taught us on that mock up ship?

mlanush
10-07-2010, 09:58
Joined 1990 went to San Diego Boot

went to the fleet as Boatswain Mate on USS Cushing (DD-985)

went to A-School 2yrs later for Data Processing Tech which is not now called IT

Plankowner USS ESSEX (LHD-2) and got out in 94

Shellback
Order of the Ditch

I would do it all over again, except maybe a different rate, like MA (master at Arms)

SST2055
10-17-2010, 07:52
Active duty from Sep '64 to Oct '84 with a little over 15 years overseas/operational. Then another 24 years as a government employee working with the Navy and Marine Corps (doing pretty much what I did on active duty, but the pay was a lot better).

drc767
10-18-2010, 05:47
10.5 years active duty (1986-1997). Aviation Warfare Systems Operator, Naval Aircrew/Air Warfare, Aviation Rescue Swimmer (SAR) EMT in SH-3H and SH-60H/F Helo, CSAR Crew Chief/Door Gunner.

LAWDOGKMS
10-18-2010, 06:08
Joined in 1990

-Boot Camp Nov/Dec, Great Lakes, IL

-Hull Tech (Welder/Shipfitter) A-School at Philly Naval Shipyard

-First assignment to USS Shenandoah, AD44 (did a med cruise the first year in support of Desert Shield (keeping Saudi Arabia from being invaded by Iran)

-Selected to become an NDT Inspector (testing critical welds by radiography, Nuclear Piping Welds etc..sent to San Diego, CA for school

-Assigned to the USS Canopus, AS34 in Kings Bay, GA as an inspector

-Assigned to the USS America, CV-66 in Norfolk, VA, (did another deployment for the Bosnia/Herzegovina campaign)

-Finally got shore duty at Kings Bay, GA in a 9545 Physical Security Billet and got some law enforcement experience which paved the way for my current career.

Glad and proud that I served for 9 years, got to see a lot and paved the way for a great civilian career.

carloglock19
10-18-2010, 19:49
Thanks to all of you for your service and for your sacrifises along the way! Still Proudly Serving 96-till present. My old man always regreted not doing 20 so I will proudly have him by my side when I retire.

squiddie545
10-20-2010, 15:18
Aim High. The Few The Proud. The Army of One. all of them got beat by: The Navy of Fun. things seem to have radically changed since they allowed gurlz on ships.

served with NNMC, Quantico, and a Victor Battalion in Camp Lajerne.

how do you like them new Navy Camouflage Pattern? Isn't it a bit difficult to find you if you go Man Overboard as the pattern blends in with the dark blue sea?