10mm woods ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 10mm woods ammo

b79holmes
10-05-2010, 12:52
I picked up a Gen 2 G20 and ammo supplies are still tight.
Not had trouble finding Remington or Blazer 180 FN jacketed ammo but have not seen anything else yet.

I am wondering how these would perform on a large eastern coyote.
I would think that flat nose would do some damage, even with a jacketed bullet.

I am in a state where ordering ammo from out of state is difficult. Will this ammo do until I come across something better for self defense or hunting?

Thanks,
Bill

Glolt20-91
10-05-2010, 14:43
That's probably too much bullet for coyotes as all you will get is pass throughs w/o any expansion.

For coyotes you want agressively expanding bullet designs that tend to explode upon impact.

Bob :cowboy:

357sigRog
10-06-2010, 00:38
For 10mm woods ammo I carry Buffalo Bore 220gr hardcast. I also have recently purchased some Swamp Fox 200gr XTP at 1240 fps. I can't wait to try it out, reviews are great on that product and Swamp Fox ammo.

Ak.Hiker
10-08-2010, 00:28
Both the Remington UMC 180 grain MC or the CCI Blazer 200 grain TMJ will give a lot of penetration on an animal. Neither is loaded as hot as BB or DT loads but either would do the trick when deep penetration is needed. For coyotes try to find the Winchester 175 grain Silvertip.

NonPCnraRN
10-08-2010, 23:02
Double Tap makes a 230 gr WFNGC 10 mm round that has a larger meplat than the BB ammo. With hardcast bullets the size of the wound is determined by 2 factors, meplat size and impact velocity. If you want to load your own, DT sells their hardcast bullets seperately. They have 2 weights, 200 and 230 gr of the WFNGC.

Glolt20-91
10-08-2010, 23:43
Double Tap makes a 230 gr WFNGC 10 mm round that has a larger meplat than the BB ammo. With hardcast bullets the size of the wound is determined by 2 factors, meplat size and impact velocity. If you want to load your own, DT sells their hardcast bullets seperately. They have 2 weights, 200 and 230 gr of the WFNGC.

Stock Glock barrels probably won't stabilize the 230gr WFNGC, erratic accuracy plus the bullet keyholes, tumbles at 20-30 yards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m0satEkGjw&feature=fvw

Bob :cowboy:

sgtbones
10-09-2010, 17:27
For 10mm woods ammo I carry Buffalo Bore 220gr hardcast. I also have recently purchased some Swamp Fox 200gr XTP at 1240 fps. I can't wait to try it out, reviews are great on that product and Swamp Fox ammo.
Swamp Fox ammo is the real deal full power loads.

CanyonMan
10-09-2010, 17:59
I picked up a Gen 2 G20 and ammo supplies are still tight.
Not had trouble finding Remington or Blazer 180 FN jacketed ammo but have not seen anything else yet.

I am wondering how these would perform on a large eastern coyote.
I would think that flat nose would do some damage, even with a jacketed bullet.

I am in a state where ordering ammo from out of state is difficult. Will this ammo do until I come across something better for self defense or hunting?

Thanks,
Bill

You don't need to run hot and heavy on coyotes. As much as I have killed them with cast bullets, a good JHP works a bit better, and it don't have to be hot, just a simple JHP. I roll my own, but what comes to mind for YOU, in factory stuff would be Hornady 155gr XTP. I am a heavy for caliber guy, but, your asking about 10mm specifically and coyotes. 22 mags kill coyotes at our place real well, so I am only saying 'just for the yotes only" I would reccomed what I just said, or Winchester Silver Tip (a bit hot for a yote) but will work real well imo. Probably what i would really reccomend in the factory offerings. The WW ST.

Reload when ya can, if your going to keep the 10mm. ;)

EDITED TO ADD***** As I re-read your post here. Yes what you now have will do, as you say, until you can get a JHP that will open quicker and cause more damage. But in using that Blazer 180 FN jacketed ammo. do try for shoulder shots or head shots, or you will blow right through with a body shot. You will any way even in the shoulders, but there, you will at least splinter some bone, and bring him down straight a way.

Good shooting

CM

Climbhard
10-09-2010, 18:25
Winchester silvertip from Cabellas is a very nice rapid expanding bullet. When I bowhunt the foothills this is what I pack. When I chafe elk in the deep woods I fill the magazine with DT 200 horndy and 230 gas checked flat nose.