Finish peeling off Rem 870 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Finish peeling off Rem 870

Jonas101
10-06-2010, 08:09
I use this gun for work, and have owned it for about 8 months. Now the finish is peeling off and bubbling up. I called Remington and they suggested I send it back to get refinished.

Should I do that, and risk having the same crappy finish applied, or have a real finish put on by someone else?

Which finish is best for a hard use, duty weapon?

Suggestions are appreciated.

fourrobert13
10-06-2010, 10:19
If Remington is doing it for free, then let them do it and if it starts coming off again down the road, duracoat it.

aippi
10-06-2010, 10:50
The issue of that finish was on the production line as they found a worker who was skipping a step in the process. He no longer works there so you will not have the same issue with the new finish. I know this because when I was at the factory in April I asked because I sent pictures to them of this issue when it first came up. Everything is tracked by serial number and they were able to track the weapons that had these issues to a production lot and to that worker.

for heavy duty use I always recommend parkering over all other finishes but some will not agree. Remington shares this opinion with me which is why the 870P and 11-87P are parkerized.

Lugi
10-09-2010, 20:16
I use this gun for work, and have owned it for about 8 months. Now the finish is peeling off and bubbling up. I called Remington and they suggested I send it back to get refinished.

Should I do that, and risk having the same crappy finish applied, or have a real finish put on by someone else?

Which finish is best for a hard use, duty weapon?

Suggestions are appreciated.

I had a small little rust spot.very small by the BS and they told me to send it in well I got barrel back and it was parkerized ...call them back and complained that it did match the rest of the gun so they told me to send the rest of the gun, now the whole gun is parkerized! Looks good and no more problems! Just send it in.

eagle359
10-10-2010, 07:35
I had the same issue with my 870. I sent it back to the factory and they reapplied the finish. It came out perfect. How long it will last, I do not know as I have only had it back about two months. Free (and a seven week wait) beat paying.