glock 19 vs Taurus PT92 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : glock 19 vs Taurus PT92

mustachio
10-06-2010, 08:22
I know that they are different classes of guns, but I have a question.
What do you think of the quality, performance and value of the Taurus PT92?

If you compare the Taurus to the Glock 19, here is what you overtly get.
Barrels are about the same length, weights are different, one is polymer, one is not. I have read all the good and bad about the Taursus, really not that much bad. Now I want those that have had experience with the Taurus to chime in. I currently own a G19, but I am thinking of buying a Taurus PT92. Why, because I like the style-just like the Beretta, but much less expensive.
Is it worth the money, or is the 'jones' that I have speaking louder than logic.

OR... Would you trade your Glock 19 for a Beretta 92FS in equally good condition?
mustachio

Duck of Death
10-06-2010, 09:11
I have a 92, excellent gun but way too big for a 9mm, get the Glock.

21Brutus
10-06-2010, 09:13
I know you asked for Taurus experienced people to chime in, but I traded a 19 for a Beretta 92FS earlier this year. I like to shoot the 92FS, but I went and bought another 19 because it's far more practical....carry/range/home/etc while I use the 92 at the range only. Good gun, great history, no problems, but I would make the Taurus "another purchase" or 92FS and still keep the 19.

plasticpistol
10-06-2010, 09:28
taurus 92 vs g19

accuracy - I like the g19 here. There is to much barrel play up front...not a tight lock up on the 92. There isn't many options for custom barrels.

weight - like the 19 here.

reliability - both are equally reliable and the only guns that survived my mud test. Sig 229, hk p2000, sf-XD/XDM, sw M&P, cz - all failed to fire or stopped firing after 2 or 3 rds. glock and taurus 92 both went through entire mag. Really like the 180 degree access of the taurus. In the end I would give the edge to glock because in sandy water I could get the mags out of the glock and not out of the taurus and while everything failed the glock was taken apart and back together in 3-4min and back up like new. Tuarus took a long time to clean out. Same with all the others.

durability - there are some key springs in the 92 that if they failed would not be easily fixed like the glock. Just don't like the setup or the role thsoe springs play in the 92.

hot cold - like the g19 here again because if you pick up the taurus if it's been in the sun for a while - you can't hold it. If it's been in the cold for a while you can't hold it. ie. in an owb holster type deal those situations could easily occur.

Trigger - hard to do anything with the 92 trigger. Almost no aftermarket parts.

over all - I like them both. It's like having different women available at the same time. lol

mustachio
10-06-2010, 10:22
Thanks, I will keep my G19 and my money and not get the Taurus.

vafish
10-06-2010, 12:21
OR... Would you trade your Glock 19 for a Beretta 92FS in equally good condition?
mustachio

No,

Unless I were going to work someplace as a LEO that only allowed me to carry a Beretta 92FS.

Still probably wouldn't do the trade because the wife likes the G19 so she'd say spend the cash on the 92FS.

FLSlim
10-06-2010, 12:29
I see you made your decision (a good one IMO), so I won't chime in.

bac1023
10-06-2010, 13:40
I love the model 92.

I prefer the Beretta, but the 92 is probably
Taurus' best pistol. I own both.

tampashooters
10-06-2010, 14:30
The Taurus 92 was one of the first guns that i ever owned 20 years ago, I sold it when I went in the Navy, and regret selling to this day. It was one smooth shooting gun.

Officer's Match
10-06-2010, 16:03
I have been shooting handguns a long time. I own a PT92AFS and I do not own a Glock 19, although I think they are mighty fine handguns. For some reason I shoot my PT92 better than almost any other handgun I've shot, with only HK P7's (one M8, one M13), a couple Ed Browns, a couple Les Baers, a Wilson Combat, a Springer Customshop M1911A1, and a CZ75 SP01 Phantom bettering it. Oops, I forgot the PT1911 I used to own - that sucker shot awesome!

SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock
10-06-2010, 16:23
Just a few things to add...

"Barrels are about the same length"
Actually the taurus is 5in while the g19 is 4in. This is actually a big difference for a handgun.

- accuracy:
They are gonna be about the same. It really is gonna depend on the individual.

- durability:
While the glock 19 is truly one of the most durable guns in the workd, the taurus 92 is not gonna be too far behind. Its brother, the beretta 92 showed itself over and over to be one of the most durable handguns ever made. I suspect the taurus will be no slouch.

The pt-92 is a good gun. If you like it, get it. Another option is a used beretta. You can get a like new one usually for 450 which is what the taurus is new. Personally I would go this route.

Lt Scott 14
10-06-2010, 16:34
Have both and are dependable, easy to clean/breakdown, PT92 for the house, G19 for carry. G19 is lighter and lot of extras available. Taurus is SS steel/alloy but is larger to carry. Trigger goes to decock/double/single if required on PT92. G19 double action trigger only, always constant. If price is an issue, then stay G19 for a single owned firearm. My PT92 AF was a steal (Estate sale, $375.00) and has a lifetime warranty. I have also owned Berettas and liked them. My rail tac lite fits both, so a win win there. Holsters for rail guns are a little bit different than standards in regards to fit. Don't expect big resale value for the Taurus. A lot of people had bad experiences with them, but in being a collector/shooter for 25 yrs, I haven't had any.

RAH
10-06-2010, 16:36
I like the older PT92s but there's no way I'd sell a Glock to get one.

cciman
10-06-2010, 19:22
I have a current production Stainless PT92. The lower frame is alloy, BTW, just like the Beretta.

I also own many Glocks and other guns.

If you want to own a Beretta clone, and like guns for looks, and like to fondle and stroke inanimate metal objects, the SS PT92 is a gorgeous piece of gun.

If you want a gun for all other practical reasons... Glock 19

countryrebel
10-06-2010, 22:49
The Taurus pt92 is a nice gun to play with but is nothing like a G19. I had a taurus pt92afs years ago but now own a G19. I would go with a beretta if you want a gun in that platform. Shop around and you can find a good deal on a beretta.

TxGun
10-07-2010, 00:44
The 92 is way too big and bulky for the 9mm cartridge, IMO. Just not an efficiently sized gun...it's as big, or bigger, than any .45 ACP or 10mm. Other than being outsized for the cartridge, the Berreta is fine. I'll never buy another Taurus of any kind (quality, service, and resale value are all lacking, IMO).

I'd take the G19 anytime. You made the right decision.

Folsom_Prison
10-07-2010, 01:32
I see you made your decision. You made the right choice!!

Gary1911A1
10-07-2010, 02:49
When I first read the title I thought this must be some kind of joke or something. Like there really is any question which is better? Sorry, but Taurus just doesn't make a quality product to begin with.

Officer's Match
10-07-2010, 06:30
When I first read the title I thought this must be some kind of joke or something. Like there really is any question which is better? Sorry, but Taurus just doesn't make a quality product to begin with.

That is simply not true in the case of the PT92. It is a superior weapon objectively compared to the Beretta, and I shoot it considerably better than I do the G19 (which is also a fine handgun, a classic in fact). No, it's not as compact or concealable, but as a range or house gun, it is most definitely comparable to if not better than the 19 in that role.

Ranger357
10-07-2010, 06:52
Ditto, the Taurus is bigger than the G19, and has a different trigger system, but it is a quality product (though I can see with the reputation of many of thier other pistols being suspicious of that) I've even heard more than one Gunsmith say that they used Taurus locking blocks to replace the broken Beretta part because the Tarurus's were much stronger (Beretta since changed the design).

All that said, I think there are a lot more people who have bought a Taurus and later wished they had bought Glock than vice versa. The size, weight, resale value, and reputation are all part of that. In addition Traditional Double Action, if not dieing, is certainly proving to be a second choice for American Law Enforcement which for good or bad often drives the market.

SouthernBoyVA
10-07-2010, 06:54
Years ago, I owned three Taurus PT92's, one being a compact version. The first one was the pre-decocker version; the other two both had the decocker. These were fine guns and the only one which I am sorry I ever sold was the compact one because I had a gunsmith lighten the trigger on it to 12 pounds for the double action pull and 5 pounds for the single action pull.

However I don't care for DA guns for self defense use, preferring a DAO pistol for my defense. Between the Glock and the PT92... I have heard that Taurus's quality has gone down a bit so I'm not so sure with this one. I would probably prefer a Beretta over the Taurus version of this pistol. But for self defense, the Glock wins for me for a number of reasons.

Carnage
10-07-2010, 07:22
Why TAURUS? Why not go with the original Beretta 92FS?.
It's like asking what would you prefer a Glock Clone or a 1911

Officer's Match
10-07-2010, 07:31
Why TAURUS? Why not go with the original Beretta 92FS?.
It's like asking what would you prefer a Glock Clone or a 1911

Simple. It has a superior design as compared to the Beretta. If Taurus had been the one to put the decocker/safety on the slide, everybody would wail at how stupid those Brazilians must be.

But as to the OP's 19/92 comparison, for me the 92 is a better shooter, more balanced, lighter recoil, longer sight radius, higher muzzle velocity, less prone to limp wristing, traditional rifling, and more accurate in my hands.

Gary1911A1
10-07-2010, 08:58
I don't think you'll find many LE Agencies that issue the Taurus 92 or 99 in the USA. Maybe in Brazil where it's made, but not in this country.

Officer's Match
10-07-2010, 09:48
I don't think you'll find many LE Agencies that issue the Taurus 92 or 99 in the USA. Maybe in Brazil where it's made, but not in this country.

I don't think you'll find many LE Agencies that issue Colt 1911's either. I'm not sure what point either observation makes?

Both the pistols the OP asks about are respected high capacity 9mm's that have very different features and strengths/weaknesses. And clearly there remains in the market a place for a hicap, all metal, full sized, hammer fired pistol such as the PT92.

I have and have had many, many fairly high priced pistols (semi-custom 1911's such as Baers, Browns, Wilson Combats, SA Customshop, and Colt Customshop, as well as a number of HK's and other "nicer" bottomfeeders) and I personally value my PT92AFS as much as just about any handgun I've had. I base this on the service and level of performance it has provided for me. I don't claim to be an expert on anything, but I'm far from a newbie or a fanboy when it comes to defensive handguns. I could care less what is rollmarked on the slide - if a pistol is a shooter, its a shooter. And I like its looks to boot.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e131/sly250r/IMG_0026_1.jpg

Gary1911A1
10-07-2010, 09:56
I don't think you'll find many LE Agencies that issue Colt 1911's either. I'm not sure what point either observation makes?

Both the pistols the OP asks about are respected high capacity 9mm's that have very different features and strengths/weaknesses. And clearly there remains in the market a place for a hicap, all metal, full sized, hammer fired pistol such as the PT92.

I have and have had many, many fairly high priced pistols (semi-custom 1911's such as Baers, Browns, Wilson Combats, SA Customshop, and Colt Customshop, as well as a number of HK's and other "nicer" bottomfeeders) and I personally value my PT92AFS as much as just about any handgun I've had. I base this on the service and level of performance it has provided for me. I don't claim to be an expert on anything, but I'm far from a newbie or a fanboy when it comes to defensive handguns. I could care less what is rollmarked on the slide - if a pistol is a shooter, its a shooter. And I like its looks to boot.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e131/sly250r/IMG_0026_1.jpg

Who was writing about 1911s'? Did I mention the 1911? I was still comparing the Glock 19 to the Taurus 92. By the way there are agencies that do issue 1911s' to certain units. More than any Taurus here in the USA.

Officer's Match
10-07-2010, 10:11
Who was writing about 1911s'? Did I mention the 1911? I was still comparing the Glock 19 to the Taurus 92. By the way there are agencies that do issue 1911s' to certain units. More than any Taurus here in the USA.

I know you didn't, I was merely making the point that not being issued to LE isn't itself an indication of a pistol's worthiness.

10-07-2010, 11:51
I know that they are different classes of guns, but I have a question.
What do you think of the quality, performance and value of the Taurus PT92?

If you compare the Taurus to the Glock 19, here is what you overtly get.
Barrels are about the same length, weights are different, one is polymer, one is not. I have read all the good and bad about the Taursus, really not that much bad. Now I want those that have had experience with the Taurus to chime in. I currently own a G19, but I am thinking of buying a Taurus PT92. Why, because I like the style-just like the Beretta, but much less expensive.
Is it worth the money, or is the 'jones' that I have speaking louder than logic.

mustachio
About the only thing the are similar to each other is the caliber they shoot.
They are different beasts, as other have mentioned. Have you had a chance to try out the PT92, yet? If not, try to rent and shoot it at your local range and see. I've had the PT92 before, and for me, it just did not feel good in the hand. Yes, it looks just like the Beretta 92FS, but once you get to handle them, you will notice (well, at least I did) the subtle differences. The Taurus grip feels more squarish and is more slippery. The Beretta is much more comfortable for me. The PT92 trigger pull was much stiffer (both DA and SA). Reliability was great, though, as is the Beretta. Personally, I would not trade the G19 for the Taurus. For the Beretta, yes, but not the Taurus.
Funny, people mention the typical "The Beretta is too big and bulky for its caliber", but you never hear "The Sig P226 (or the Ruger P89, or the Glock 17, or the CZ75) is too big for its caliber". You know, they are all about the same size. Imho, it's just the typical internet read-one-repeat-one propagation you see all the time. What the hell does that mean, anyway, "too big for its caliber"?:supergrin:

austin_tx
10-07-2010, 12:43
OR... Would you trade your Glock 19 for a Beretta 92FS in equally good conditionI definitely would. But that doesn't mean you should.

I would make that trade because I wouldn't carry either of them and I enjoy shooting the Berettas much more than Glocks. If concealability were a consideration, then I probably wouldn't make that trade.

As for the Taurus, it's a very good gun (the only Taurus I'll say that about), but nothing will scratch that itch like the original. Additionally, the Beretta's superior fit and finish and total absence of MIM parts make it easily worth the extra money to me. The Taurus was a more attractive gun when it was priced around $300-325. These days I've seen the Taurus going for barely more than $100 less than a new 92FS, which is absurd.

mustachio
10-07-2010, 13:26
I will put this topic to bed. Thanks to all that offered some pretty good and sound advice. I am keeping my G19. I have medium sized hands and the Taurus and Beretta are just a tad too big. I have been shooting since 1982 and like many of you have had a variety of good quality weapons, some I have kept for the past 28 years, and some I have gotten rid of. Like Johnny Coccharan said, 'If it don't fit you must acquit". The jury is in and I will stick with the Glock. It doesn't matter how good either is if they feel uncomfortable (yes, I have handled them). Thanks again.
Mustachio

erichodges
03-06-2012, 15:56
My PT92 always go's bang.

CBennett
03-06-2012, 17:00
I like the Taurus PT92(or in my case the PT 99 as I dont like fixed sight guns). Hard to really compare the 2 as far as for carry or CC specifically cause I could CC the 19 I couldnt CC the 92/99. Reliability...same IMO..the Taurus PT99 was the MOST RELIABLE gun ive ever owned..never a single failure EVER..I cant even say that about the Glock..Close..but with the Glock ive had a hiccup or 2 in all the rounds through it..the Taurus PT99 flawless 100% always..

I PREFER the Taurus PT92/99 OVER the Beretta because of the location of the controls on the frame not the slide(not a big fan of slide mounted controls) so id take the 92/99 over the Beretta(and as a matter of fact I did I could have bought EITHER had the money for either and got the Taurus PT99 instead )

For something id be thinking of CC even with its WORSE IN INDUSTRY GRIPS id take the Glock 19...If we are talking just home defense or range shooting(which is what we should be doing as the Taurus isnt a CC weapon and its unfair to compare it as such) id take the Taurus PT99 hands down...feels good in my hands where the Glock does not...and I already know its reliable from almost7-8,000(close to 10,000 maybe I stopped counting when I got that high lol)+ through one without a hitch....sure I had a dud primer or what ever but other than bad ammo.... flawless.

CBennett
03-06-2012, 17:02
I will put this topic to bed. Thanks to all that offered some pretty good and sound advice. I am keeping my G19. I have medium sized hands and the Taurus and Beretta are just a tad too big. I have been shooting since 1982 and like many of you have had a variety of good quality weapons, some I have kept for the past 28 years, and some I have gotten rid of. Like Johnny Coccharan said, 'If it don't fit you must acquit". The jury is in and I will stick with the Glock. It doesn't matter how good either is if they feel uncomfortable (yes, I have handled them). Thanks again.
Mustachio

Congrats on your decision. Im like you...a gun has to fit my hands well for me to like it..Glocks dont so I dont own one anymore..if the Taurus (or Beretta) does not fit as well dont get it!

faawrenchbndr
03-06-2012, 17:06
I would not trade or sell a G19 for a Taurus. However, if I
had to pick a G19 or a Beretta 92fs,......the Glock you find
another home.

Love the Beretta, like the Glock, hate the Taurus.

cciman
03-06-2012, 17:18
I own both. I won't knock the PT92

The PT92 is not bad and holds more ammo. It is DA/SA hammer fired. Nice smooth trigger. Larger frame, hard to carry. It is better made than the Beretta 90-Two that I also own.

Because of the hammer - it is less prone to light strike than the G19. I have a batch of Pakistani surplus ammo that the G19 will fail to fire 1:2 times, due to hard primer, whereas the PT92 goes bang each time.

G19freak
03-06-2012, 17:37
For a Beretta?---maybe-------for a Taurus POS? --oh heck no

cciman
03-06-2012, 19:20
Unless you have owned it, you cannot call it a POS. The beretta based design is one of the nicest guns that Taurus makes-- I cannot say the same about its own milpro, or 24/7 or revolver line.

I have the Taurus PT92 in SS, and it rivals the "Berettas" I have owned. With the Beretta, you are paying for the brand, nothing special, and the triggers suck.

Berto
03-06-2012, 19:55
THe Taurus 92 is a good pistol, but the G19 is an excellent pistol.

JaPes
03-06-2012, 20:36
I currently own a G19, but I am thinking of buying a Taurus PT92. Why, because I like the style-just like the Beretta, but much less expensive.

I don't own a Taurus PT92 myself, but I have a couple friends who bought Taurus PT92's while they were on sale. Their reasoning was just the same as yours. They wanted Beretta 92fs'. Their budget allowed for the Taurus PT92.

We all went to the range. I brought my 19 year old barely used 92fs, and they brought their 92's.

The feel in the hand is similar. The Beretta felt smoother overall. The Taurus just a little less so. I like the PT92's frame mounted safety over the Beretta 92's slide mounted safety.

If I did my job right the Beretta & one of the PT92's shot equally well. One PT92 had issues. It was consistently shooting way low, and way left. It went back to Taurus and got fixed.

I'll be honest. The PT92 is the only Taurus pistol I'd buy. It's not a bad pistol, but it is no Beretta 92fs.

If you have your heart set on a Beretta 92fs, then nothing else will truly make you happy. Be patient and get that Beretta.

Would you trade your Glock 19 for a Beretta 92FS in equally good condition?

I wouldn't trade my Glock 19 for anything. Even though the G19 is not my favorite handgun in my collection, it is the most reliable handgun in my collection. For me, it's the best all-round handgun.

I also wouldn't trade my Beretta 92fs for anything.