10mm Winchester brass vs Starline brass [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 10mm Winchester brass vs Starline brass

robert91922
10-07-2010, 04:24
I have 1k Winchester and 1k Starline brass. Which one is better quality? - I mean craftsmanship. Which one would be more appropriate for hot 10mm loads with heavy bullets like 180 and 200gr?

Kegs
10-07-2010, 05:34
Weigh a sample of 20 of them each.

The ones that have the most consistent and heaviest weight are the win.

Also, if you could be so nice as to post to the board what you find in terms of weight (max, min, average) that would be quite helpful to some of us who reload hot loads as well.

I have been using Scharch 10 mil brass. I now sort my brass for hot (hunting) loads 73.5 grains and up make the cut, below that I will turn down the volume a bit on.

FLSlim
10-07-2010, 11:02
I've used both brands with 180 gr loads. I can't give you an opinion of which is "best" but I've never had any problem with either.

Taterhead
10-07-2010, 22:46
Either are fine for hot loads (<= max). I personally prefer Starline since it lasts longer in my experience. Winchester brass tends to shrink below specs after only a few loads. I've pretty much settled on Starline for all my new load workups and max loads.

_The_Shadow
10-08-2010, 14:11
I use both, if i had to vote Starline would be my first choice!

MakeMineA10mm
10-09-2010, 07:36
I have 1k Winchester and 1k Starline brass. Which one is better quality? - I mean craftsmanship. Which one would be more appropriate for hot 10mm loads with heavy bullets like 180 and 200gr?

You won't find "craftsmanship" in any brand of case. These are made on automated machines designed to put out very large quantities of brass as quickly as possible. No one is standing there hand-finishing anything and making sure all the dimensions are "just right."

That said, you'll find both of those brands to be quite fine for full-power loads. Hornady, Federal, and Remington will also be good. I have some cases headstamped "Midway" that work just fine as well. There's really no "bad" brass being made out there today, with the exception of lot-by-lot mistakes.

For example, I have a quantity of early R-P (Rem.) brass that was made with 45ACP headstamp-size dies. This means you can only read the bottom 2/3 of the headstamp, and part of the stamp intersects the outside edge of the rim. These cases don't reload well (burrs from the headstamp cause fits in shellholders) and don't shoot well (primer pockets were made too deep, so I get light primer hits). But, you can't condemn all Rem. brass, because that was an early lot when they didn't have things figured out yet. New R-P brass is fine...

robert91922
10-09-2010, 15:54
MakeMineA10mm, I apologize for using a wrong word. You know I am still on learning to speak and write english :embarassed: (and on learning to reload too). I know that brass cases are not finished manually, they would be too expensive. I meant basic quality with as much as possible little deviation.
Thanks anyway for your explanation and for all the information about cases. Thanks to everybody else too, I appreciate your answers.
:wavey:

CanyonMan
10-09-2010, 17:48

What MakeMineA10mmsaid to ya is pretty much so. I have ran mild to nuclear loads through all kinds of brass. That being said, I must admit, the starline seems to run a slight edge IMO over the rest, but again, there all pretty much the same. Nickle seems to work very well aslo.

Good luck

CM

herdingcats
10-11-2010, 16:59
Winchester is the only brand that seems to get pre-mature split cases for my loads. I have not yet had an issue with Starline and would recommend it between these two choices.

Maine1
10-11-2010, 17:14
Starline is my choice and seems more readily available to me.

There IS bad brass out there..it is marked A-MERC. Good thing they do not load 10mm-to my knowledge at least.