Banned 9mm ammo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Banned 9mm ammo?

kempeh
10-07-2010, 16:11
Is there a list of all of the 9mm ammo that is not legal to carry. I live in Virginia and somebody mentioned that carrying LE federal hst 147 gr is illegal. I was wondering if I could pick the brains of you guys and figure out exactly what is the best and "legal" 9mm ammo to carry.

snwbrdr435
10-07-2010, 16:15
Go find the VA law that states that is illegal.

bustedknee
10-07-2010, 16:19
What?

kempeh
10-07-2010, 16:19
I guess it's that people say you can't buy the federal hst ammo because it's a law enforcement ammunition. Is that true? I know you can buy it online, but I haven't seen it in any store yet.

VA_Glocker
10-07-2010, 16:27
On same lines I had a question, can one carry hand-gun (in glove compartment or inside luggage) across state lines while traveling in a car?

voyager4520
10-07-2010, 16:30
Most ammunition marked "LE" is restricted in sales by the company that makes it. That's why if you see it at a gun store they'll likely tell you it's for LE sale only and the only place civilians can buy it is gun shows or online.

BUT, that doesn't mean certain jurisdictions don't have laws against it. You'd need to research your own local laws, or ask one of your local law enforcement officials, district attorney office representatives, or even ask your state Attorney General's office.

bithabus
10-07-2010, 16:38
Whoever told you that is an idiot. Some States do have ammo laws though. In New Jersey hollowpoint ammo is illegal. In my State of Texas, armor piercing handgun ammo is illegal.

HST is very good ammo. Also good are Winchester Ranger and Speer Gold Dot.

zigzagg321
10-07-2010, 16:40
I bought Hornady LE ammo in a gun store here in Ohio. But like the others have said, look up your local laws.

mkl
10-07-2010, 16:41
Is there a list of all of the 9mm ammo that is not legal to carry. I live in Virginia and somebody mentioned that carrying LE federal hst 147 gr is illegal. I was wondering if I could pick the brains of you guys and figure out exactly what is the best and "legal" 9mm ammo to carry.

No such law in Virginia.

The closest thing is there is a law that makes it illegal to carry certain ammo while you are committing a crime. See:
http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.3.HTM

prev | next
18.2-308.3. Use or attempted use of restricted ammunition in commission or attempted commission of crimes prohibited; penalty.

A. When used in this section:

"Restricted firearm ammunition" applies to bullets, projectiles or other types of ammunition that are: (i) coated with or contain, in whole or in part, polytetrafluorethylene or a similar product, (ii) commonly known as "KTW" bullets or "French Arcanes," or (iii) any cartridges containing bullets coated with a plastic substance with other than lead or lead alloy cores, jacketed bullets with other than lead or lead alloy cores, or cartridges of which the bullet itself is wholly comprised of a metal or metal alloy other than lead. This definition shall not be construed to include shotgun shells or solid plastic bullets.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly use or attempt to use restricted firearm ammunition while committing or attempting to commit a crime. Violation of this section shall constitute a separate and distinct felony and any person found guilty thereof shall be guilty of a Class 5 felony.

plasticpistol
10-07-2010, 16:42
Armor piercing pistol ammo is illegal in all states as far as I know. NJ no JHP's LMAO

matteblack
10-07-2010, 16:52
Whoever told you that is an idiot. Some States do have ammo laws though. In New Jersey hollowpoint ammo is illegal. In my State of Texas, armor piercing handgun ammo is illegal.

HST is very good ammo. Also good are Winchester Ranger and Speer Gold Dot.

X2. Here in WA state we can carry ANY LE marked ammo the whole notion of lawful civilians having different ammo is ridiculous IMHO.

tdb
10-07-2010, 19:58
no such law. if someone who lives IN VA told you that they're full of BS. Now if they were a MD or DC resident trying to pass some of their restrictive laws onto VA, thats another story, hahaha

Feanor
10-07-2010, 20:01
Is there a list of all of the 9mm ammo that is not legal to carry. I live in Virginia and somebody mentioned that carrying LE federal hst 147 gr is illegal. There are certain states(NY & NJ)where they have senseless, and likely constitutionally illegal ordinances banning hollow point and wadcutter ammunition from general issue, however it is perfectly legal for any armed citizen to both buy, own, and carry hollow points such as HST, Ranger-T, Gold Dot, Golden Sabre and similar loads. The restricted status is purely a factory initiative, and one that does not endear them to many of us. It is completely contrary to the intent of the 2nd for manufactures to supply a superior product to the state, at the expense of the people. Further, the ammo companies have for years now, been screwing the public by only supplying them certain premium loads in boxes of twenty while charging them at a minimum the same, or much more likely, higher price points! For instance, I buy all my ammo from a LE distributor, I purchase Winchester 9mm RA9124TP(Ranger Talon +P)in boxes of 50 for only 18.99 per box. The only option for the private citizen is/was either SXT or the new PDX1 in a box of twenty for $30.00 Plus per box of twenty.

Flipz
10-07-2010, 21:26
no such law. if someone who lives IN VA told you that they're full of BS. Now if they were a MD or DC resident trying to pass some of their restrictive laws onto VA, thats another story, hahaha

Maryland has no such law either. I buy Speer GDHP LE 50 round boxes at Maryland Small Arms Range all the time.

BadAndy
10-08-2010, 07:48
No such law in Virginia.

The closest thing is there is a law that makes it illegal to carry certain ammo while you are committing a crime. See:
http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.3.HTM

prev | next
18.2-308.3. Use or attempted use of restricted ammunition in commission or attempted commission of crimes prohibited; penalty.

A. When used in this section:

"Restricted firearm ammunition" applies to bullets, projectiles or other types of ammunition that are: (i) coated with or contain, in whole or in part, polytetrafluorethylene or a similar product, (ii) commonly known as "KTW" bullets or "French Arcanes," or (iii) any cartridges containing bullets coated with a plastic substance with other than lead or lead alloy cores, jacketed bullets with other than lead or lead alloy cores, or cartridges of which the bullet itself is wholly comprised of a metal or metal alloy other than lead. This definition shall not be construed to include shotgun shells or solid plastic bullets.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly use or attempt to use restricted firearm ammunition while committing or attempting to commit a crime. Violation of this section shall constitute a separate and distinct felony and any person found guilty thereof shall be guilty of a Class 5 felony.
Wow. So they could hit you with this if you used DPX ammo while committing a crime.

tx787
10-08-2010, 09:33
Some people choose not to carry LE marked ammo in the event that they have to use it and are asked the question as to why they were carrying LE ammo and not personal protection or self defense (even though many such as Gold Dot are identical products in different boxes and prices).

The flip side is some people prefer to carry LE ammo for that reason believing "if the police choose to use this ammo it must mean it is safe and wouldn't cause unnecessary harm."

banger
10-08-2010, 09:48
I have come to the belief that "L.E." marked ammo or anything for that matter is simply a marketing ploy.

If you want to sell something, just tell people that they CAN'T have it.

Look at the prices they get for "grey market" Blue label Glocks, "Police Special" Beretta's and Remington "Police" shotguns.

With the single exception of a few old style metal parts in the Remington, the "special" weapons are no different than the regular production items.

BUT, like old P.T. Barnum said..."there's a sucker born every minute".

Edit: To prove sometimes it's in the sell...

In a past life I was a firearms instructor for an east coast police dept.. When I would get a guy that just could not qualify, I produce a "special" box of ammunition from my stash.

I would produce a Red box of Federal Target match ammo, explaining how the ammo is special and VERY accurate and expensive.

Most often the subject would fire a much better score and moan at to why he can't carry the "special" ammo on duty, as it is sooo much better.

When the fellow would leave, I would refill the box with Winchester White Box and save it for another person who needed the "special ammo",

It's all in the sell. lol

racer88
10-08-2010, 15:29
In a past life I was a firearms instructor for an east coast police dept.. When I would get a guy that just could not qualify, I produce a "special" box of ammunition from my stash.

I would produce a Red box of Federal Target match ammo, explaining how the ammo is special and VERY accurate and expensive.

Most often the subject would fire a much better score and moan at to why he can't carry the "special" ammo on duty, as it is sooo much better.

When the fellow would leave, I would refill the box with Winchester White Box and save it for another person who needed the "special ammo",

It's all in the sell. lol

Ha! A ballistic placebo! Cool!

Jeff82
10-08-2010, 16:38
AFAIK, HP's are illegal to carry outside your home but can be had inside your home in New Jersey.

BadAndy
10-08-2010, 20:18
AFAIK, HP's are illegal to carry outside your home but can be had inside your home in New Jersey.

You can shoot them at the range but they better not be used to stop a criminal because they cause too much damage to that poor boy that was just starting to turn his life around by robbing you! :whistling:

grendelbane
10-10-2010, 14:19
There is one important difference between LE restricted ammunition and unrestricted ammunition. The restricted ammunition has not had the excise tax pain on it, as LE is exempt from it. We mere mortals have to pay that tax.

That is not the purchaser's problem, though.

Restricted ammunition can become available on the open market in several ways. About the only thing I have to say about that is do not pay a high premium for it.

SIGShooter
10-10-2010, 23:39
For the OP...

Make sure YOU read all the applicable laws in your area. As has ben stated before, there are laws on the books that do restrict certain things.

On a side note...

I was at a public range a while back shooting and testing out some different carry ammo. I had a cop approach me (Local to my area) and ask me what I was shooting (Glock and Sig). He asked about my Law Enforcement Ammunition that I was using (Ranger and Speer GDHP). I asked him what's what...He told me the next timehe sees me with this type of ammo we were going to the station and have a chat. I told him let's not wait any longer and get it over with now...Never did take me up on the offer.

Anyway, the point being, some people like to spew **** because they have nothing else better to do.

bustedknee
10-11-2010, 09:33
...He told me the next timehe sees me with this type of ammo we were going to the station and have a chat. I told him let's not wait any longer and get it over with now....

I think I like you.

If you aren't a crusty old curmedgeon, you will be. And there aren't enough of us.

tx787
10-11-2010, 10:33
He told me the next timehe sees me with this type of ammo we were going to the station and have a chat. I told him let's not wait any longer and get it over with now...Never did take me up on the offer.

Very well done.

racer88
10-11-2010, 11:27
For the OP...

He told me the next timehe sees me with this type of ammo we were going to the station and have a chat. I told him let's not wait any longer and get it over with now...Never did take me up on the offer.

Anyway, the point being, some people like to spew **** because they have nothing else better to do.

Ha! I may have thought to say, "Why? You want to buy some? Running low? I've got a LOT of it. I'll give you a good price." ;)

SIGShooter
10-11-2010, 22:52
I think I like you.

If you aren't a crusty old curmedgeon, you will be. And there aren't enough of us.

Very well done.

Ha! I may have thought to say, "Why? You want to buy some? Running low? I've got a LOT of it. I'll give you a good price." ;)

He patrols my neighborhood every other day. Won't wave or acknowledge me or even make eye contact with me.

I'll be honest, I really thought he was going to take me up on my offer. People are plane weird sometimes.

Racer: They use .357 SIG Speer GDHP. I had 9MM and .45 ACP.

novaDAK
10-13-2010, 22:49
On same lines I had a question, can one carry hand-gun (in glove compartment or inside luggage) across state lines while traveling in a car?

depends completely on what state you're traveling into. If it's unloaded and put in the trunk you are protected by federal law as long as you're passing through the state and not going "to" the state. Actually carrying a loaded handgun, depends on state law.

Eagle22
10-17-2010, 14:54
You can shoot them at the range but they better not be used to stop a criminal because they cause too much damage to that poor boy that was just starting to turn his life around by robbing you! :whistling:

So you shoot him with a FMJ which will go though him and into the house across the street.
OK Fine