Question for AIPPI re 870 Express ejector Springs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question for AIPPI re 870 Express ejector Springs

DAJ
10-07-2010, 18:32
I have a recently purchased Rem 870 Mag HD. 12 ga 2 3/4-3 inch. It fires and extracts fine. However it dribbles fired hulls (2 3/4) out the ejection port and not infrequently leaves the hull stove piped. This is with both the original MIM extractor and a replacement forged Rem factory extractor. Pumping very hard does not improve ejection and generally makes it worse. Remington Premier, Federal Gold Medal, Win AA no difference. I did the chamber polishing generally recommended but it made no difference The fired hulls slid in and out of the chamber with no finger resistance even before the polishing.
I compared the ejector spring on the Express with the one in my 1978 12 ga
2 3/4 only Wingmaster. The Wingmaster Ejector Spring is obviously 1/4 inch shorter front to back and half again wider from top to bottom. It is much stiffer than the Express spring. It ejects vigorously.
Is this a common issue with the 12 ga 870 Express Magnum Ejectors? What might be done to remedy this?
DAJ

aippi
10-07-2010, 20:10
It is not a common issue. If you are racking the weapon back with authority the empty shell should eject just fine. The term "Ejector spring is a misnomer as it does nothing more then act as a spacer to causes the ejection. this is why there is no ejector spring on the 870 20ga since the receiver is more narrow and the spacer is not needed. However, it has to be bent just right to work on the 12ga. If it is not, then you have ejection issue.

Assuming this is a new weapon and under warranty I would send it back for repair. They will simply make sure the spring is bent properly and send it back but if it is FUBAR they will replace it. If this is a used weapon you can strip the receiver down and look at the bend in the spring on your Wingmaster and compare it to the one with the issue. . Holding the rivetted end down and bending it to match the one on the Wingmaster should resolve the issue. However, if you are not comfortable doing that or have a concern about breaking it then take it to a gun smith.