Just bought a new laptop...what should I do first? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a new laptop...what should I do first?

mixflip
10-08-2010, 02:16
My old laptop crashed and burned! Couldnt even power it up anymore. So I bought a new one. What protection should I go with?

It came with "webroot" antispyware. (not installed, I got a disk)

I was thinking a free antispyware and antimalware from AVG? Which has worked for me on my desktop computer.

I hear some type of "root kit detection" is important too now, since there are malicious programs that can get in un-noticed and run un-noticed even by your task manager.

I am a computer noob but I am trying to learn and prevent headaches before I even start messing with this new laptop. I know nothing is fail safe but I still want to put up a fight so those hackers might at least get irritated and move on to easier targets.

IndyGunFreak
10-08-2010, 05:29
Common sense will protect you from most malware. If you're not 100% sure the source of a download is legit, don't download it. No software is going to overcome a user who just mindlessly bangs on the keys(well, Windows software anyway :))

You should be fine w/ AVG if you've been happy w/ that on your desktop.

IGF

wct097
10-08-2010, 05:33
I generally will do a fresh install of Windows on a new laptop to get rid of all of the preinstalled crap. For someone not computer savvy, I'll install AVG, AdAware, and Firefox (personal preference). This way you have decent protection against spyware and viri, while Firefox will give me the ability to hit the internet for fixes if the user hoses up IE with spyware despite the protection.

edit: I'd also suggest on of the online backup services to back up your data to one of the clouds, automatically, in the background.

Sgt. Schultz
10-08-2010, 11:38
Get this ... http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

... to help you remove all of the preinstall crap.

GIockGuy24
10-08-2010, 16:36
Use Microsoft Security Essentials for antivirus and antispyware. Don't install any other antivirus/antispyware software with this. Use Mozilla Firefox for the default internet browser.

Linux3
10-08-2010, 22:06
Follow all the steps and don't skip any.
All software is free that Nick recommends.

http://securitytango.com/windows.php

datnvan
10-08-2010, 22:10
next thing is to see if you can run starcraft 2 and enjoy.

handyman
10-09-2010, 06:57
If there were no back up discs, I would make them right away.

Pierre!
10-09-2010, 18:58

This is the *FIRST* thing you need to do! When you need to restore the system, these will be required. Notice it's not IF you need to restore/reinstall the system... it's WHEN...:cool::cool:

You can always go to AVTest (http://www.avtest.org/) to see what AV programs are actually worth installing. Personally I like the MS Security Essentials too. Saved my butt NUMEROUS times when working to grab screen captures for my Security Article. Never got tagged by a critter... and there were a few!

Enjoy!

duncan
10-11-2010, 17:04

I'm about four months into a new netbook. Win 7 Starter (arrgggggh). How do I make backup disks?

Sgt. Schultz
10-11-2010, 20:40
I'm about four months into a new netbook. Win 7 Starter (arrgggggh). How do I make backup disks? Look on your Start Menu, usually under a folder with the manufactures name or recovery tools.

handyman
10-12-2010, 19:29
What Sgt. Schultz said, also if you don't have an external hard drive you will need one to make the discs.