G17L vs. G34 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G17L vs. G34

Vozella
10-08-2010, 09:03
I know the obvious difference between a 17L and a 34 is barrel length. What are the other differences. I have a 17L but wondered if a 34 would have improvements that would be superior. The pistol is used for non-competitive target shooting only.

JR
10-08-2010, 10:30
The G17L was introduced first. Its six inch barrel offers an advantage over all the other 9mm's. The question is, "is it really an advantage"? The answer depends on your perspective. Do you want an increased sight radius and an extra 50+ fps? Are you seeking a forward balance point and lower recoil?

The G34 was introduced last in the line of Glock 9mm's. This gun features a 5.32 inch barrel and was marketed towards the competitor. It fits the IPSC box rule and was accepted in USPSA & IDPA almost immediately. As you are well aware, it is only slightly shorter than the 17L. If you were looking for all the advantages listed with the 17L, then the 34 falls slightly short of the goal doesn't it?

What do you expect out of this gun and what do you hope to accomplish with it? I recommend you visit a local range and spend a few sessions there with each gun. You will be able to put it through a varity of tests and then draw a logical conclusion. BTW: My position here at LWD allows me access to every Glock pistol offered. I have used all of the Glock 9mm's in competition and actually dispatched livestock or wild life with every model. I really don’t see a difference in any of them. The gun I have in my hand, at that moment in time, seems to always be the perfect gun.

Vozella
10-08-2010, 10:49
Thanks JR. BTW, will I notice a significant reduction in recoil with a ported barrel?
Also planning on passing through Idaho next Spring. Can I stop and purchase anything in person?

JR
10-08-2010, 12:00
Most people get confused between recoil and muzzle rise. Porting is the re-direction of gas (upward) and mainly associated with muzzle rise. A comp re-directs gas both upward and rearward so it eventually affects both muzzle rise & recoil. The problem with ports & comps is the availability of gas. You need "the perfect amount" of gas to run a comp or port effectively. Too much gas generates more recoil. Too little gas and the system just don’t work. If you are shooting off the shelf you may see limited results. Reloading is your best bet if you want to see optimum performance.

If you are coming this way please feel free to call. We have a few customers that prefer to pick up their orders. Unfortunately we do not have a store front that allows you to rummage through a slew of parts & accessories. Our warehouse is based on web sales & gun shows but we do get company every now and then. Thursday & Friday are always best.

Vozella
10-08-2010, 16:28
Thanks for the explanation and I may see you next year.