930 Mag Extension [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 930 Mag Extension

E-Money
10-08-2010, 11:48
I'm looking to add a +2 or +3 mag extension to a Mossberg 930 (not SPX) I recently purchased. From my research it appears that Choate provides a good product. However, I cannot find anything specific for the 930. I did read that someone contacted Mossberg and they were told that models made for the 5500/9200 would work just fine for the 930. Is this true?

Here's what I'm currently looking at. Will this work for the 930? Any tips, tricks or words of advice on springs, followers, other extensions, etc?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=10082/pid=4203/sku/12_Ga_Blue_Mag_Ext__3_Rds_fit_Moss__5500_9200_935

Sorry if this specific make/model has been discussed previously. I couldn't find anything on it.

Thanks!!

Jon_R
10-08-2010, 12:14
I think the one that comes on the SPX model is made by Choate. I will try and remember to check mine when I get home.

They do make them though. At the bottom of this page.

https://secure.riflestock.com/catalog_page.cfm?PCID=2&MID=15&PSCID=242&Lev=S3

E-Money
10-08-2010, 12:29
Fantastic! Thanks Jon_R!!

So since mine is a currently a 4+1, if I get the +3 extension, will it physically extend beyond the 18.5" barrel? What if I go with the +2 instead?

I didn't see any measurements on the site.

Thanks!!!

ScrappyDoo
10-08-2010, 12:32
The SPX comes NIB from Mossberg with a Choate +3 extension, making it a 7+1. For lawful reasons I needed to make it a 5+1, and contacted Choate directly for a +1 extension. The lady was very nice and said, "It's no problem we'll make you one and blue it up and send it out next week for you " and just like that, for not that much money, they sent me a new extension, spring, and a bright orange follower that I like much better than the factory "nub" extension anyway.

I will say that the new spring Choate sent me was HUGE and would have needed to be trimmed or something, I just used the same factory spring and it worked fine.

I will add the ladys at Choate are some of the nicest people I've talked to for stuff for firearms. Really really nice. And I just happened to run a whole bunch of 00 Buck and then mixed bird/target/cheap-stuff loads from it this weekend, with the new +1 extension/nice Choate follower/etc. .... Running like a Cadillac.

Jon_R
10-08-2010, 12:36
Fantastic! Thanks Jon_R!!

So since mine is a currently a 4+1, if I get the +3 extension, will it physically extend beyond the 18.5" barrel? What if I go with the +2 instead?

I didn't see any measurements on the site.

Thanks!!!

Mine is a full blown SPX from Mossberg with a 18.5" barrel and is 7 +1 bringing it to the end of the barrel so I am pretty confident the +3 is what is has and what you need if you want to be at the end of the barrel. The +2 I am sure will put you about 2.5" short of the end of the barrel.

E-Money
10-08-2010, 13:58
Thanks guys!

So, ScrappyDoo, your comment about legal restrictions on capacity now has me concerned. What state are you in?

What department/website would be best to check if my state (KS) has any restrictions? I didn't even think about that seeing as how I have an AR at home with 30 round mags. Are shotguns different or governed under different law?

Deployment Solu
10-08-2010, 14:12
Choate does make the extensions that come on the SPX. I believe they make all the extensions on the 930.

They are available from Choate in either 7,8,9, or 10 shot extensions.
Part # 02-04-32/33/34/ or 35. All are parkerized.

Price is $45.00 for 8&9 shot. $48.00 for 9&10 shot.

GAFinch
10-08-2010, 19:09
Thanks guys!

So, ScrappyDoo, your comment about legal restrictions on capacity now has me concerned. What state are you in?

What department/website would be best to check if my state (KS) has any restrictions? I didn't even think about that seeing as how I have an AR at home with 30 round mags. Are shotguns different or governed under different law?

You're fine in Kansas...Scrappy lives in New Jersey with it's assault weapons restrictions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)

Z71bill
10-09-2010, 07:54
I bought a Choate magazine tube for a Winchester - it was not what I expected - I sent it back -

The problems -

1. When I took it out of the box it was really filthy - black oily crude coating the inside & outside of the tube. I assume residue from the manufacturing process.

2. The mag spring was tied in a knot - after I got it untied it was bent like a banana.

3. The swivel base clamp was really cheap flimsy gauge steel

4. There was a pronounced seam in the tube - it ran almost the entire length of the tube - easy to see - looked like crap - and was sort of like a bump.

5. The threads of the tube - right on the leading edge were messed up - like someone had tried to thread it on and forced it - after messing with it a while I got it on - but the threads were not deep enough - so even when it was completely screwed on tight the forend of the gun was still loose.

I had always heard good things about Choate - this is my first (and most likely last) experience with them.

YMMV

E-Money
10-09-2010, 20:53
Well, I ordered the +3 from the site Jon_R provided. Hopefully I have a better experience than Z71bill had.

I'll post my feedback on it when it comes in.

ScrappyDoo
10-10-2010, 13:03
I bought a Choate magazine tube for a Winchester - it was not what I expected - I sent it back -

The problems -

1. When I took it out of the box it was really filthy - black oily crude coating the inside & outside of the tube. I assume residue from the manufacturing process.

2. The mag spring was tied in a knot - after I got it untied it was bent like a banana.

3. The swivel base clamp was really cheap flimsy gauge steel

4. There was a pronounced seam in the tube - it ran almost the entire length of the tube - easy to see - looked like crap - and was sort of like a bump.

5. The threads of the tube - right on the leading edge were messed up - like someone had tried to thread it on and forced it - after messing with it a while I got it on - but the threads were not deep enough - so even when it was completely screwed on tight the forend of the gun was still loose.

I had always heard good things about Choate - this is my first (and most likely last) experience with them.

YMMV

I mean that sounds accurate enough but, let me answer,

1. I believe it's because they actually make the parts and then blue them when you order, that's what they did for me at least... So the oil is necessary preservative. I am sure aippi can explain this real well (as he has before in posts and it helped me understand) but I think it's real necessary to let that "thirsty" metal "drink up" oil right away after the finishing/refinishing, no?

2. So was mine but it really wasn't an issue at all, I'm not sure what the problem would be with that, it's not a real scientifically engineered part of the boomstick....

3. I guess so was mine but I didn't even know I was getting it, so it was kind of a bonus, and really how strong does this piece need to be?

4. Mine too I agree.

5. I will say my factory one "looks better" but my new one (the slightly shorter one) actually fits much better, and screws on and off much easier.

No big deal really, I don't mean to argue at all, just that my experience was very good, but maybe cause I was in big time need and also not picky. I take your points certainly.

Z71bill
10-10-2010, 19:46
I mean that sounds accurate enough but, let me answer,

1. I believe it's because they actually make the parts and then blue them when you order, that's what they did for me at least... So the oil is necessary preservative. I am sure aippi can explain this real well (as he has before in posts and it helped me understand) but I think it's real necessary to let that "thirsty" metal "drink up" oil right away after the finishing/refinishing, no?

2. So was mine but it really wasn't an issue at all, I'm not sure what the problem would be with that, it's not a real scientifically engineered part of the boomstick....

3. I guess so was mine but I didn't even know I was getting it, so it was kind of a bonus, and really how strong does this piece need to be?

4. Mine too I agree.

5. I will say my factory one "looks better" but my new one (the slightly shorter one) actually fits much better, and screws on and off much easier.

No big deal really, I don't mean to argue at all, just that my experience was very good, but maybe cause I was in big time need and also not picky. I take your points certainly.

If it would have snugged up and fit properly I would have most likely kept it -

I would have replaced the bent spring - $4 is not a big deal - the rest was mostly cosmetic -

I have been around enough fabrication people & jobs to know that is takes a little extra time & or a little extra skill to have a job look good - even if the performance is the same -

Some guys didn't give a crap how the weld looks as long as it was within spec - others would take the extra 10 seconds to make it look good - even if it was in an area (like under a platform) that would never be seen or noticed in the finished assembly.

It was a pride thing :dunno:

ScrappyDoo
10-12-2010, 20:02
hey bro I ain't mad at ya I was just commenting my experience justaposed to yours.... I fancy myself the Mossberg 930 SPX/Choate extension 'author-i-tay' due to my extreme problems initially and the resistance I got and then even the bashing I took simply asking for advice etc.

But it's all good baby, all good.

E-Money
10-13-2010, 20:08
Got the extension today, and I'm very impressed... I think.

It's parkerized instead of blued (no big deal). There is no weld at all that I can see or feel.

It sticks out past the barrel (18") by 1 1/8" (Is this a problem? I did order the +3 since the gun has a 4 mag capacity and expected it to line up closer to the barrel. Any chance that that much hang over could damaged it when firing?)

Threads are a perfect fit.... BUT, as I thread it on I can see it "wobble" back and forth even if I apply pressure in one direction. It "wobbles" back and forth about 1/8" to 1/4" as it is screwed on when looking at the end of the extension compared to the barrel and ends up tilting down once tight. I'm guessing this is could be a problem for a mag extension. But then again, this is my first shotty.

The base clamp does appear to be a piece of junk. But, I've never even seen one before, so maybe this is what they are all about (not likely I'm guessing). However, I'm in the same boat as ScrappyDoo with the fact that I didn't even know I was getting it, so I guess that's a plus?

So, if it angles down about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch - will that cause feeding issues?

If it extends beyond the barrel by 1 1/8", will that cause me any problem when shooting? Damage to the extension?

E-Money
10-13-2010, 20:14
Oh, and how do I go about removing the mag tube on the gun so I can take out the spring and "end cap"? It appears to unscrew, but it won't budge. I don't want to force it.

Again, new to shotties so any help/direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

ScrappyDoo
10-14-2010, 06:15
E, took me forever to unscrew it the first time, I think I resorted to a wrench and wrapped it with a tshirt. Smooth sailing after first time tho.

Z71bill
10-14-2010, 08:24
Oh, and how do I go about removing the mag tube on the gun so I can take out the spring and "end cap"? It appears to unscrew, but it won't budge. I don't want to force it.

Again, new to shotties so any help/direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

If I am understanding correctly - you want to remove the stock mag spring?

You do not need to take the mag tube off your gun - the end cap that holds the mag spring in should just be removed.

I used a needle nose pliers - just have it pointed in a safe direction because the mag spring may fly out.

Glad your extension is better quality - now I really wonder why mine was such poor quality?

Mine must have been made by a new employee and they must not inspect anything before it ships out.

E-Money
10-14-2010, 08:49
If I am understanding correctly - you want to remove the stock mag spring?

You do not need to take the mag tube off your gun - the end cap that holds the mag spring in should just be removed.

I used a needle nose pliers - just have it pointed in a safe direction because the mag spring may fly out.

Glad your extension is better quality - now I really wonder why mine was such poor quality?

Mine must have been made by a new employee and they must not inspect anything before it ships out.

That's exactly what I want to do so I can add on and use the mag extension.

Question - If I use your method would I be able to reinstall the end cap and use the stock mag tube without the extension? I was planning on using this gun for double duty - HD and sporting clays or potentially hunting. I figured I'd just go back to the factory mag when shooting clays or birds then put the extension back on for HD.

Is that possible or am I asking for more trouble than it's worth?

Or, can I just hold the spring in place and screw on the end cap? Would that work or do I need that spring stop piece?

Z71bill
10-14-2010, 13:02
That's exactly what I want to do so I can add on and use the mag extension.

Question - If I use your method would I be able to reinstall the end cap and use the stock mag tube without the extension? I was planning on using this gun for double duty - HD and sporting clays or potentially hunting. I figured I'd just go back to the factory mag when shooting clays or birds then put the extension back on for HD.

Is that possible or am I asking for more trouble than it's worth?

Or, can I just hold the spring in place and screw on the end cap? Would that work or do I need that spring stop piece?

Sure you can reinstall the cap if you want to - at least for a while - at some point it will get bent up enough that it may not hold in place.

I will guess most people eventually just toss it away -

Many shot guns do not even have this part - it has nothing to do with the function of the gun -

I know some guys that put the stock mag tube & spring back in when they shoot clays -

I like using my extended tube when I shoot clays - although at some ranges they do not allow you to load more than 2 shells (1 in chamber 1 in tube) at a time.

My range doesn't care - so I load it up 6+1 and blast away at the little flying targets - it gives me confidence that my set up functions 100% -