Lead slinging [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lead slinging

havensal
10-09-2010, 08:39
I just finished watching The Bucks of Tecomate on VS tv.

They were putting drives and opening up on the deer as they run by. :shocked:

They all had semi-autos. Nobody took just one shot, most were three or more. :faint:

If you can't take the animal with the firs shot, maybe you should rethink your sporting choice. :steamed:

I hear it every year from my stand. 3, 4, 5 and even 6 shots as fast as they can pull the trigger. You can't tell me that they aimed all of them. Worst yet, you can't tell me that they knew what was behind the deer for every shot. :faint:

I will not shoot at a running deer. I see too many injured deer. I prefer to wait for them to stop and take the long shot. That's why I sight my gun in at 150 yds and know where it will hit for as far as I can see from my stands. I have not lost an animal since I was a kid. :wavey:

CanyonMan
10-09-2010, 12:17
I worked on a a certain ranch in NW Okla one time and they required me to also be their guide for the rich oil field city boys that came out. Well, these 'hunts" required doing drives. I had to situate these old boys about 75yds apart and let them go stomping through thick brush and blast away at what would hopefully be a deer.

I heard a gun shot, then a very familiar Wizzzzzzzzzzzz sound come right by my right ear. :wow: I never did that drive stuff again. Oh, I kept the job, but never did the drives again. From then on, those dudes had to stay put where I said so, and until I came to get them. ;)

On the ranch out here in W. Texas, we do not allow anyone but family and real close friends to hunt. But on the ranch that borders us on the far side of the place, we can also here the pow pow pow pow, and also find beer cans thrown over on our side at times, and hear ATV's buzzing around and ding ding ding of truck doors open and closing.... At least it is on our "far back side" and no where else. But, give it time. Things and 'some people' seem to be getting worse all the time.

No point here i guess. like you, just hate that kinda stuff.... :steamed:

Good hunting amigo
stay safe ! ;)

CM

n0vember
10-12-2010, 07:12
The problem with driven hunts is, that they have to be properly organized.. best if the beaters just slowly walk through the area and if dogs are used to flush the deer and boar out. Slow dogs that is.
Something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoEGFNeuoEk

CanyonMan
10-12-2010, 13:17
The problem with driven hunts is, that they have to be properly organized.. best if the beaters just slowly walk through the area and if dogs are used to flush the deer and boar out. Slow dogs that is.
Something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoEGFNeuoEk

Amigo, the problem I had was "you cannot "well organize" a pile of city dudes walking through the brush with guns and some never hunted.." :supergrin:

I hear ya man. But still hate the drives.... ;)

Good hunting to ya !

CM

vafish
10-12-2010, 20:05
I grew up doing deer drives in Northern Minnesota.

Now I live in Virginia and they run dogs around here top get the deer up and moving.

I gotta say the dogs do it much better then I ever did.

But when the deer come by you they are moving, usually a slow trot or quick walk.

Big Bird
10-13-2010, 13:42
People take two or three shots at moving game all the time...ever been in a duck blind? or a dove shoot? or a pheasant drive?

In europe we did drives all the time and you were expected to shoot at running wild boar.

Inside of 30 yards I have no problem shooting at a moving deer.

dbarry
10-13-2010, 16:30
yeah, what about making sure of your target and what is behind it? Every year you hear of accidental shootings and many of those I'm sure are this very thing...

CanyonMan
10-13-2010, 17:52
While it is not completely unusual to take a shot at a running deer (i'm talking deer here) most people are not good enough shots to hit it in the correct spot for a good clean kill. So, the animals end up with broke legs, muzzles shot off etc etc, gut shot, on and on.

I've always lived in the type of country where it can be very common to take a running shot on a buck going through the sage brush or cactus, but rather not do it. Have I ? Yep. But would just rather not.

We got a little method out here we have used on folks, and when I was a guide for 25 years I used it quite often to show a client they were not truly capable (99%) of them anyway, at hitting a running buck "in the proper place' for a clean kill.

They get to stand on the slope on the side of a very large hill while a guy at the top rolls a truck tire with a large target inside it through the rocks and cedars and brush, simulating a running jumping ducking dodging (you get the point) buck.

As I said 99% never touch the target. SO, i would not allow them to take a shot on running game . Period ! :supergrin:

I've take several game animals on the run in 50 years, and I screwd up once. Made me sick to my stomache.

If your going to be a billy bob lead slinger and don't much give a rat's hind quarters where you hit the buck as long as you "finally drill him enough to get him down," Then hey, IMO you need to take up golf or something whoever you are.

If on the other hand, you got more respect for the game and the hunt than that, or you spend a great deal of time at practice on severe moving targets, and your very confident you can 'CLEANLY' take down the deer on the run with a properlty placed shot, then fine. But even at that, the average hunter, or above average hunter, would rather have a good stand still shot at any angle almost, rather than a hard runner. I would. But that's me

My .2

CanyonMan