Finally got my chrony [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my chrony

njl
10-10-2010, 13:16
I was finishing up after chronographing some new loads and got a little sloppy firing some of my older loads. I knew as soon as the shot broke that I'd jerked the trigger, and then I saw half of the back screen on my Beta Master was hanging by one rod. I dropped the mag, cleared the gun, and went to inspect the damage. Some searching around, and I found the other rod, bent about 45*, on the ground. I bent it back as straight as I could using just my hands and a shooting bench. The screen has some minor looking cracking around where the two halves join. I put it all back together, fired a few more shots with it, and pronounced it functional.

I'd already bought some dowels to use as rods...but haven't gotten around to cutting them. I guess I'll do that tonight. When doing that, do you cut them the same length as the single steel rod sections?

GioaJack
10-10-2010, 13:44
Send XDRoX a PM, he knows more about shot up chronographs than anyone. :whistling:

Jack

EL_NinO619
10-10-2010, 14:34
That's because XD has a evil flinch. Hope you can get your chrono back into form as quick as good ol Gioajack did..:whistling:

PCJim
10-10-2010, 21:25
I haven't made alternative rods yet either for my Beta Master. I would think the best approach would be to make the dowels the same length as the total of the two sections, ie a full replacement height. I have also heard that bamboo skewers will also work, and might crack/break easier than a dowel rod, imparting even less shock to the sensor housings.

tac_driver
10-10-2010, 21:51
i made mine all the same size as the steel rods and put red marker marks high and low on the dowel rods to indicate where to aim for the sweet spot.

njl
10-11-2010, 05:48
I haven't made alternative rods yet either for my Beta Master. I would think the best approach would be to make the dowels the same length as the total of the two sections, ie a full replacement height. I have also heard that bamboo skewers will also work, and might crack/break easier than a dowel rod, imparting even less shock to the sensor housings.

Do you use your screens with the 3 sections, or just the two? I've never used the 3rd sections or the rod extensions.

PCJim
10-11-2010, 08:24
Do you use your screens with the 3 sections, or just the two? I've never used the 3rd sections or the rod extensions.

I always use the three screen sections and the two support section rods (primary + extension). This gives you the most room for placing your shots.

tac_driver
10-11-2010, 14:58
I don't I just use the 2 sections screen and cut the dowel to one steel rod length. I find it gives me plenty of room a 4x4 in square I'm shooting at a 1in black dot on a target I set up behind it.
What works for me I always aim dead center on the word Chrony on the front of the unit then adjust up to the sweet spot between the red marks and on the 1in black dot on the target. Very rarely do I get an error using this method.

dla
10-11-2010, 15:06
One of these days I'm gonna put a "how-to" on my site on making "boo-boo" plates for Chronys. My "boo-boo" plates saved my Alpha-Master from a 38spc, 45acp, and a 44 mag.

But the very best solution I've found is to use the Chrony upside down - make the shooters shoot under it. No skyscreens - just point it at a sheet of butcher paper. I just happen to have a tripod with a bottom mount.

WiskyT
10-11-2010, 16:34
Interesting the upside down thing. I don't think my regualr tripod can manage that? I'll have to look at it.

I use bamboo skewers and all three sections of diffusers. You have to bend the skewers inward to get them in the holes, but that keeps all of it under tension. The skewers are long enough to work, but short enough to fit in my cheapo tool box I use for my range gear. You can cut them with a pair of dykes or poultry shears.

njl
10-11-2010, 16:43
One other thing that was interesting about this is the round that hit the screen post was a MG 124gr CMJ. Somehow, it left lead stuck to the post in the corner of the bend. How that happened would have made some amazing highspeed video.

njl
10-17-2010, 21:07
What diameter dowels are people using for Chrony rod replacements? A while back when I bought the dowels, I must have measured and decided 1/8" was correct. Well, even at the short length for use with the 2-piece screens, 1/8" dowel is way too flimsy to support the screens.

I measured again and decided 1/8" was actually a little smaller than the metal rods, so I bought a 3/16 dowel. Well, 3/16 is noticeably thicker than the metal rods, and too thick to stick in the holes in the chrony. Do you use 3/16 and sand down each end to a bit more than 1/8"?

MrVvrroomm
10-18-2010, 09:26
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/MrVvrroomm/Chrony/0906001127.jpg

Aim lower. The best thing you could do is to put your Chrony out of its misery.

njl
10-18-2010, 10:47
I'm sure that's the destiny of every chrony...but I'd like to put that off for as long as possible.

PCJim
10-18-2010, 13:29
I haven't made any non-metallic rod replacements for mine yet, but would think that the 3/8" dowel with ends turned down to the same diameter as the original rods would be the correct answer.

I have also heard of using bamboo skewers as metal rod replacements.

WiskyT
10-18-2010, 17:03
What diameter dowels are people using for Chrony rod replacements? A while back when I bought the dowels, I must have measured and decided 1/8" was correct. Well, even at the short length for use with the 2-piece screens, 1/8" dowel is way too flimsy to support the screens.

I measured again and decided 1/8" was actually a little smaller than the metal rods, so I bought a 3/16 dowel. Well, 3/16 is noticeably thicker than the metal rods, and too thick to stick in the holes in the chrony. Do you use 3/16 and sand down each end to a bit more than 1/8"?

Stop measuring and thinking, just do it. Don't think, do. Go to your kitchen, or walmart, and take four bamboo skewers and use them. Have you been drinking the same water as C4W?