Ti strikers for CCW gun? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ti strikers for CCW gun?

dreis454
10-11-2010, 12:59
I recently got a good deal on a Titanium striker for a .45 cal Glock.
Since I own a 21 & a 36 I grabbed it.
I read that the Ti striker is NOT recommended for a SD gun so should I not use it,Ive heard everything from light primer strikes to being too brittle & could break odd the spade end.
My G21 is my nightstand gun & the G36 is my CCW.

I'm not really looking for improved trigger pull,I was just gonna use it since I got a deal on it.

JR
10-11-2010, 17:51
The early Titanium strikers were prone to breakage because some of the machining cuts were too aggressive or at right angles. It didn’t take the manufactures very long to correct these issues.
Another problem was perforated primers burning the tips off the Titanium strikers. The way I see it, the skin of the primer was a little too fragile and the fault was not with the striker.
Light hits were generally caused by dropping the firing pin spring weight from 5 lbs to 4 lbs. I can honestly tell you I never heard of a light primer hit when the stock weight (5) spring was used.

The question is, "would you use this in a SD gun"? I respond, why not? When you replace ANY part of your SD gun, you MUST prove the new part is worthy and run a few hundred rounds through it. After a few hundred rounds of flawless operation you pretty much could trust it for another 5 or 6 couldn’t you?

dreis454
10-11-2010, 17:55
The early Titanium strikers were prone to breakage because some of the machining cuts were too aggressive or at right angles. It didnít take the manufactures very long to correct these issues.
Another problem was perforated primers burning the tips off the Titanium strikers. The way I see it, the skin of the primer was a little too fragile and the fault was not with the striker.
Light hits were generally caused by dropping the firing pin spring weight from 5 lbs to 4 lbs. I can honestly tell you I never heard of a light primer hit when the stock weight (5) spring was used.

The question is, "would you use this in a SD gun"? I respond, why not? When you replace ANY part of your SD gun, you MUST prove the new part is worthy and run a few hundred rounds through it. After a few hundred rounds of flawless operation you pretty much could trust it for another 5 or 6 couldnít you?

very good point JR. I guess I'll give it a try.

thank you.

JR
10-11-2010, 17:57
I am sure GATE readers will be interested in a range report once you have completed your tests. Please be sure to feed us an update.

dreis454
10-11-2010, 18:00
Will do.