1911 newbie questions (2 merged threads) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 newbie questions (2 merged threads)

Eric2340
10-07-2010, 19:18
Looking at buying a 1911 (my first, NOT my first gun though by far), I like the look and idea of the commander sized gun and the rounded, non-spur style hammer.

Recommendations, reasons to stay away from either of these two things, other? Again, my FIRST 1911, so I'm not looking to buy a $1500 gun right out of the gate.

Thanks -

knedrgr
10-07-2010, 19:53
so is $1450 your price range? Need to know more about what you're looking in a 1911. Carry or just range use? 45 ACP or 9mm? Colored or stainless? Stock ambi safety or single? Going to build it or keep it stock?

Eric2340
10-07-2010, 20:04
so is $1450 your price range? Need to know more about what you're looking in a 1911. Carry or just range use? 45 ACP or 9mm? Colored or stainless? Stock ambi safety or single? Going to build it or keep it stock?

No, $1500 is not my price range, but I also do not want a bottom of the bucket POS either. Just a good BEGINNER 1911, not a $1500 custom one.

.45 obviously, blued, no ambi safety, don't really want to build one, just a good base / one to learn on.

If I really like one I can see building one / having one done later on for big $$, but for now just a good, solid starting / learning platform.

R*E
10-07-2010, 20:17
http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-q7-COLT_PISTOLS.aspx#

Brucev
10-07-2010, 20:23
Springfield Mil-Spec. 1911 in .45ACP is a very good choice. They are very good pistols at a price that will not break your wallet. I got a ANIB one late last year for $400 OTD w/ a box of ammo at a local gun shop. Well worth the money.

Cerebrus
10-07-2010, 20:36
Either Springfield, STI or Magnum Research.. all three have great entry level 1911's..
http://www.magnumresearch.com/Desert_Eagle_1911_techdata.asp

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Spartan/Spartan.php

Granted they are not American made per se.. but they are a much better quality than Colt imo

Happy Hunting
10-07-2010, 21:09
Colt Combat Commander. There are plenty on the FS ads here and other places.

MarkCO
10-07-2010, 21:16
Read the FAQ starting at post #15.

The STI Spartan ($650) and Trojan ($1K) are both very good as is the Springfield Loaded ($1k). Both have good customer service as well which is sometimes comforting for a new 1911 buyer. I'd really stay with a 5" steel gun for the first dance. Don't worry, you'll get more.

knedrgr
10-07-2010, 21:27

The STI Spartan ($650) and Trojan ($1K) are both very good as is the Springfield Loaded ($1k). Both have good customer service as well which is sometimes comforting for a new 1911 buyer. I'd really stay with a 5" steel gun for the first dance. Don't worry, you'll get more.

what he said.

Eric2340
10-08-2010, 08:09

I've heard this before about the 4" guns, what is the issue with them?

ambluemax
10-08-2010, 10:16
It's more once you dip below the 4" mark that issues can come up because at that point the gun has deviated so much from the original design that the physics of it all can make them picky (slide mass, leverage, spring rates, blah blah blah). Lots of sub-compact 1911's are good to go, but you here more stories about headaches with the little bitty ones than withthe more conventionally sized 1911's. Its not really a problem with 4, 4.25 or 5" guns.

If you want to go commanderish size in kind of the modern configuration (rounded hammer and what not) you're pretty much looking at Colt, Springfield, Smith and Wesson, and Kimber. Lots of models to choose from and your talking about spending $700-1,000.

Springfield also makes a 4" GI (they call that size "champion") that is straight up, plain jane spur hammer and low profile sights which you could score for about $500.

Since you're looking at this size, its probably important to understand there is a difference between a 4" gun and a 4.25" gun (technically only the later is "commander" size) Most of the true commander size guns will be conventional 1911 bushing barrel setups. 4" guns (and smaller) and more often than not bull-barrel set ups. You might want to do a little research on that to see which fits your style more. There are fans and haters of both, the main difference to the casual user is how there are disassembled for cleaning.

BigLaw
10-08-2010, 10:24
The STI as stated above would be my choice if I was just getting into 1911s. They are good quality and have the essential features in my book

bklynpete
10-08-2010, 10:28
I have a Kimber Pro Carry, it's an aluminum frame 4" 1911. The "Commander" size weapons really have no issues, it's the "Officer" size ones that have had issues in the past. I really haven't heard anything lately with the newer 3" models. I love the balance of the 4" 1911's. If it's only going to be a range gun, go for a steel frame version. Just my $.02...

cowboywannabe
10-08-2010, 11:24
cant go wrong with a RIA. i have two and they are all that and a bag of chips.

if you later decide you like the 1911 platform you can then go out and buy a $1,500.00 gun.

mr00jimbo
10-11-2010, 14:10
Hi,
I am starting to save some $$$ to buy a quality 1911 next year. I am torn between a somewhat custom looking 1911 (aka STI Spartan, or a more original looking, aka Colt 1991-A1).

I have some questions for those who are 1911 experts.

1. Cast/forged; is there a consensus which one is preferred, or is the jury out ?
2. Are Colts of high quality? I am looking at the 1991A1 (Series 80)
3. Series 80 safeties; are some more interfering than others? I hear bad things about Kimbers series 80 getting in the way, but then some others just seem to affect trigger pull? Is it possible to get rid of the series 80 safety, or would one be SOL, and better off buying a gun without it from the get-go.

This will be a range gun, and I will not be competing with it. I just want something high quality that I won't have to worry about **** falling off, or rattling loose, or metal warping, or a lot of plastic parts. I want to shoot it, cherish it, and I want it to be a family heirloom, so something with a good finish and good parts would be ideal. I'm in this for the long haul. Budget is say, 1000 bucks, all in.

I am really drawn to the Colt 1991-A1 or the series 70 (though it's slightly more $). I love the basic look of the colt and the horsie rollmark, but would probably upgrade to a skeleton hammer and three-hole trigger.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially since I don't seem to know what I want here. :whistling::supergrin:

I would love something that ended up lookin' like this:
[IMG]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/7345/hot19112.jpg (http://img259.imageshack.us/i/hot19112.jpg/)
:cool:

Jim S.
10-11-2010, 14:31
I am starting to save some $$$ to buy a quality 1911 next year. I am torn between a somewhat custom looking 1911 (aka STI Spartan, or a more original looking, aka Colt 1991-A1).

I have some questions for those who are 1911 experts.

1. Cast/forged; is there a consensus which one is preferred, or is the jury out ?

Forged is better. Cast is ok as long as it is properly done, but forged is preferable.
2. Are Colts of high quality? I am looking at the 1991A1 (Series 80)

Colts are ok. I don't care for a series 80 because of the firing pin block.
I'm a purist at heart.
3. Series 80 safeties; are some more interfering than others? I hear bad things about Kimbers series 80 getting in the way, but then some others just seem to affect trigger pull? Is it possible to get rid of the series 80 safety, or would one be SOL, and better off buying a gun without it from the get-go.

You can put an adapter plate in to remove the firing pin pieces but why not just get a gun without the extra crap that doesn't belong there in the first place.
This will be a range gun, and I will not be competing with it. I just want something high quality that I won't have to worry about **** falling off, or rattling loose, or metal warping, or a lot of plastic parts. I want to shoot it, cherish it, and I want it to be a family heirloom, so something with a good finish and good parts would be ideal. I'm in this for the long haul. Budget is say, 1000 bucks, all in.

A range gun definately does not need the firing pin block as it does effect the trigger and is usually for a person who carries but is not accustomed to "Locked and Cocked".

I am really drawn to the Colt 1991-A1 or the series 70 (though it's slightly more $). I love the basic look of the colt and the horsie rollmark, but would probably upgrade to a skeleton hammer and three-hole trigger.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially since I don't seem to know what I want here. :whistling::supergrin:

Go shopping and see whats out there. Look at Buds Gun Shop on line or Hyatt Gunn shop on line and look for 1911's at that price range.
You are just starting to get into more than a basic 1911 at that price.
Some nice ones at that price.

Cerebrus
10-11-2010, 14:53
At the 1k range I would look at the STI Trojan.. or at the $650 range the DE 1911.. both from what I hear a decent guns