glock 20 6" oem barrel ammo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : glock 20 6" oem barrel ammo?

upnorthbacon
10-11-2010, 15:36
Looking for something to possibly take a whitetail deer at bow ranges. I know the oem glock 6" barrel needs jacketed rounds. Anyone have any particular rounds this barrel likes?

G36shooter
10-11-2010, 16:27
I too have a G20 but not the 6" brl. yet, if I remember I think Uncle Ted has used Win. Sitver Tip 175gr. to bring down a white tail. Now the ? is don't we have a mag. capacity limit for handgun hunting in MI ?

Wil Terry
10-12-2010, 09:41
BY'N'LARGE, it was a waste of money. It averaged about 25FPS faster than the standard G20 factory barrel and the highest velocity load was all of 40FPS faster than the standard barrel. By the way, these numbers included all the CORBON line, all the BHA line, all of the W-W line, R-P, and the FED line of ammunition. Also included were about a dozen of my favorite handloads.
Near as I can call it this 6" BBL would have been a hell of a lot more useful were it 4' long and pounded in the ground to grow tomatoes upon.
AND so it goes..

alwaysshootin
10-12-2010, 13:14
If factory length barrel is all that is required in Mi., I wouldn't see any real advantage going with an extended barrel. Here in Ohio there is a minimum of 5" barrel length, which is the reason I use the 6" Lone Wolf. At the time of purchase, LW did not offer the tactical length they do now. Which would have been perfect.

Another thing to consider with 1 1/2 inches of barrel sticking out the end of the slide is holster choices. Unless you don't care if your barrel is exposed, finding a holster is tough, and expensive. Hey FWIW. Good luck on your decision.

upnorthbacon
10-12-2010, 16:02
BY'N'LARGE, it was a waste of money. It averaged about 25FPS faster than the standard G20 factory barrel and the highest velocity load was all of 40FPS faster than the standard barrel. By the way, these numbers included all the CORBON line, all the BHA line, all of the W-W line, R-P, and the FED line of ammunition. Also included were about a dozen of my favorite handloads.
Near as I can call it this 6" BBL would have been a hell of a lot more useful were it 4' long and pounded in the ground to grow tomatoes upon.
AND so it goes..

That sucks, I was hoping to gain some velocity, that was my reason for the purchase. I thought I saw someone was getting around 100fps on thier chrono's but might have been a different brand barrel. Did you by chance change the mainspring to 20 or 22lbs when testing? I've heard it can make a difference in the consistency of the speed. Not sure how, but I hear guys saying changing the mainspring can improve accuracy based on consistent speeds too? Maybe it unlocks slightly slower or something?

fredj338
10-12-2010, 18:24
For deer size game, IMO, you want penetration from any reasonable angle. The 180gr or 200grXTP woul dbe my choice.

Glolt20-91
10-13-2010, 21:53
That sucks, I was hoping to gain some velocity, that was my reason for the purchase. I thought I saw someone was getting around 100fps on thier chrono's but might have been a different brand barrel. Did you by chance change the mainspring to 20 or 22lbs when testing? I've heard it can make a difference in the consistency of the speed. Not sure how, but I hear guys saying changing the mainspring can improve accuracy based on consistent speeds too? Maybe it unlocks slightly slower or something?

I was getting 90fps-100fps increase out of a 6" KKM barrel, G20 looks kinda funky with a tube sticking out of it and the bottom of a holster. :supergrin:

Bob :cowboy:

Glolt20-91
10-13-2010, 21:55
For deer size game, IMO, you want penetration from any reasonable angle. The 180gr or 200grXTP woul dbe my choice.

+1

I believe there was a forum member who took an elk with the 180gr XTP.

Bob :cowboy: