Couple Press Questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Couple Press Questions

TennGlocker
10-11-2010, 15:55
I am thinking about getting the Hornady LNL. Not new to reloading. I have a Lee single stage and HAD a Lee Pro 1000. I'm looking to upgrade to the LNL. Are they still doing the free bullets promo? Besides dies, what extra do I need to order to be set up for .40, .45, and .223? Appreciate the help.

shotgunred
10-11-2010, 16:07
They are down to 500 bullets now. It is good through the end of the year.

Colorado4Wheel
10-11-2010, 16:09
LnL does not come with a Shellplate or Dies. If you get the casefeeder you would also need the right casefeeder plate. When you order it call Hornady and tell them the Powder Measure is turning when you use the press. They will send you a shim to solve the issue.

TennGlocker
10-11-2010, 17:13
Ok so I need a shellplate for each caliber I want to reload?

Boxerglocker
10-11-2010, 17:19
Yes you do...

I would seriously look at getting the case feeder option right away for the LNL... in the debate I had choosing the pros and cons between the LNL and the 650 either machine seems to live up to it's potential without one.

I know how the 650 runs without the casefeeder, can anyone with a LNL without one tell thier experience with it? Is the chute included or do you feed cases by hand?

Three-Five-Seven
10-11-2010, 17:24
by hand

TennGlocker
10-11-2010, 17:26
Price check on the casefeeder?

dudel
10-11-2010, 17:38
500 for any press (used to be 500 for the single stage and 1000 for the progressive). Still 100 for each die set.

dudel
10-11-2010, 17:39
Ok so I need a shellplate for each caliber I want to reload?

Some calibers will use the same shellplate, so check the documentation. 45ACP and 45 GAP come to mind. Possibly .40 and 10mm.

Bob2223
10-11-2010, 17:43
You can check the Hornady site to see what shell plates you need, some work for multiple calibers like 40 10 mm 357 Sig.
The 223 shell plate works for the 380, the 45ACP is 45ACP only.
Some plates work for a dozen calibers or more, if you need to know the shell plate # for any calibers I have the manual handy and can tell you which one you need.
The press comes with 5 LNL bushings so you will need to get extras for each set of dies your wanting to use.
If your wanting a case feeder there are 4 case feeder plates, SM pistol, LG pistol, SM rifle & LG rifle. The small pistol works for calibers up to 40S&W then the LG plate is needed.

I used the press without the case feeder you slide the case in the shell plate, no tube or shuttle that comes with the case feeder.

It's a nice press with or with out the case feeder, I didnt need the case feeder for the amount of shooting I do but now that I have it I wouldnt take my $ back for it. :supergrin:

Bob

fredj338
10-11-2010, 17:49
You can check the Hornady site to see what shell plates you need, some work for multiple calibers like 40 10 mm 357 Sig.
The 223 shell plate works for the 380, the 45ACP is 45ACP only.
Some plates work for a dozen calibers or more, if you need to know the shell plate # for any calibers I have the manual handy and can tell you which one you need.
The press comes with 5 LNL bushings so you will need to get extras for each set of dies your wanting to use.
If your wanting a case feeder there are 4 case feeder plates, SM pistol, LG pistol, SM rifle & LG rifle. The small pistol works for calibers up to 40S&W then the LG plate is needed.

I used the press without the case feeder you slide the case in the shell plate, no tube or shuttle that comes with the case feeder.

It's a nice press with or with out the case feeder, I didnt need the case feeder for the amount of shooting I do but now that I have it I wouldnt take my $ back for it. :supergrin:

Bob
OR 308. 06, etc. The LNL is a good upgrade from the Lee if you just have to go red.:supergrin:

GioaJack
10-11-2010, 17:50
If you don't have years of experience loading on a 550 there really is no learning curve with the LNL other than getting use to the machine, as with any other machine. If a loader has a lot of time on a 550 there will be a period of awkwardness while developing the habit of load both case and bullet from the left side.

Basically any dies will work fine on the LNL although I did find the the RCBS and Lyman seater die for .380 were a bit short so I replaced that die with a Hornady. (Note: .380 and .223/5.56 use the same shell plate.)

With a new machine you will need appropriate dies and shell plate. If you wish to use the PTX feature instead of an expanding die you'll have to order the Hornady caliber specific PTX or the after market PTX. (I use a die... just used to doing it that way... no other reason.) If you're going to be loading a lot of lead bullets consider the Lyman 'M' expanding dies... they work very well and are cheap.

If you're going to be loading more than one caliber order the die bushings by the ten pack... you adjust your dies one time then forget them unless you change bullet design then you have to readjust the seating stem.

I added case feeders to both my LNL's and they make a world of difference. Very easy to install, very easy to adjust and very easy, (remove one adjustment nut) to deactivate if you want to load a caliber without the feeder.

Do not expect the press to be 'perfect', nothing is, except me of course... well, I guess I do have one defective part... alright, two defective parts.

Depending on how much you load it will take five or six sessions until you become comfortable with the machine. It will soon become pretty much second nature and when a jam or glitch occurs, and it will, you'll be able to correct it in seconds.

Don't buy extra spare parts... Hornady customer/parts department is actually as good as Dillon, (and they're damn good), just call them and they'll fix you up ASAP. They want owners to be happy and go out of their way to make sure that happens... as does Dillon.

There are lots of folks on here with LNL's so if you have questions ask away, someone will know the answer. Good luck.

Jack

RATS... bob223 beat me to it... if I wasn't off my feed I would have been first. Go feed the goats flatlander.

Boxerglocker
10-11-2010, 17:51
by hand

Ugh that would suck, the first station is on the LH side as is the bullet seating station. Defiantely would make me gravitate to a casefeeder right off the bat with the LNL.

Price check on the casefeeder?

Average looks to be around $310 via google search, plus a case feeder plate depending on the caliber.

Is there anywhere that is "one stop" shopping for an LNL with all needed accessories having reasonable prices?

TennGlocker
10-11-2010, 18:07
Wow, thanks for all the great info! I'm looking to get it this weekend. I live down the road from Midsouth Shooters Supply so I plan on getting it from them.

Y'all have been more than helpful (as usual). Appreciate it fellas

GioaJack
10-11-2010, 18:09
Ugh that would suck, the first station is on the LH side as is the bullet seating station. Defiantely would make me gravitate to a casefeeder right off the bat with the LNL.

Average looks to be around $310 via google search, plus a case feeder plate depending on the caliber.

Is there anywhere that is "one stop" shopping for an LNL with all needed accessories having reasonable prices?

Manventureoutpost.com (something like that) has the best prices I've found. I paid $254 for my feeders and the large pistol plates were around $27. (I don't use the feeders for .380's, just do a few hundred at a time a few times a year.)

Jack

TennGlocker
10-11-2010, 18:25
I didn't realize the case feeders were so much. I'm sure they're worth it but it will have to wait. To be honest I'll be tickled to not be using the Pro 1000 any more. Once that wears off I"ll pick up the case feeder.

Bob2223
10-11-2010, 18:31

Boxer
Why are you asking questions about that wonderful press?

Like Jack sez,
If you don't have years of experience loading on a 550 there really is no learning curve with the LNL other than getting use to the machine, as with any other machine. If a loader has a lot of time on a 550 there will be a period of awkwardness while developing the habit of load both case and bullet from the left side.

You get a rhythm going after a few sessions, loading the case and bullet on the left side is easy after ya do it a few times

Bob

Boxerglocker
10-11-2010, 18:43
Boxer
Why are you asking questions about that wonderful press?

Bob

Because the only stupid question is the one not asked Bob and you never know... I may consider getting one again down the road when looking for a .223 dedicated machine... so if you want another shot at a commission be nice :upeyes:

Bob2223
10-11-2010, 20:40
Because the only stupid question is the one not asked Bob and you never know... I may consider getting one again down the road when looking for a .223 dedicated machine... so if you want another shot at a commission be nice :upeyes:

:rofl:

Bob