Ruger LCP 380 ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCP 380 ?

thinktwice
10-11-2010, 16:48
I recently was given a Ruger LCP 380. I really like how it disappears in my pocket. However I have always been reluctant to carry a 380 caliber as a defense round. I really would like to start carrying it, and am giving it some serious thought. My question is to any of you carrying this caliber do you carry HP's or FMJ? I would think you would want as much penetration as you could get with a 380 so FMJ would give me more penetration, but with a very narrow wound channel. On the other hand HP's would for sure open up the wound channel, but with considerably less penetration I would think. Whatever I chose in this caliber I would like to carry +P however I can't do that because the LCP is not rated for +P ammo. What do you guys think?

mastrbloata
10-11-2010, 17:30
Well, I'll tell you what I think. First, congrats on the gun and having it given to you. How sweet is that? I just got a Kel- Tec P3AT .380, very similar to your Ruger in many respects, and I have no intentions of carrying anything in it but ball. I've been looking at that "Critical Defense" (Hornady?) and it looks pretty good coming from a tiny .380- It penetrates (in the ad) and it expands (in the ad) but too many times, .380 won't open up and like what you said, when it does, it comes up short. No thanks. I'm not carrying mine as a primary so if I get in a real jam, I'll take the penetration over the possibility of 5" to 8" of penetration. Maybe some others will be along shortly to diagree and frankly, if there are good JHP's for .380's of that size, I'm all ears too.

John43
10-11-2010, 17:57
I saw some pics of an LCP that blew up with the wrong ammo. The shell is exposed more at the rear, I wouldn't use anything other than what they recommend.

SDGlock23
10-12-2010, 06:58
I'm not thrilled with the .380, but it's small size it's its biggest advantage. I stick to using FMJ in my LCP, because when using JHP in the .380, it certainly lacks the penetration compared to the larger calibers. For front on shots I don't think it's a big deal, but at an angle or having to shoot through an arm first? A JHP in .380 may not be sufficient.

ElectricZombie
10-13-2010, 22:33
I carry FMJ in my LCP for increased penetration. HP .380 ammo does not seem very consistent, and I feel fine with 7 FMJ rounds.

tx787
10-14-2010, 10:27
I think Speer Gold Dot is a good defensive ammo choice for the Ruger LCP.