Wireless signal in a REALLY big house [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wireless signal in a REALLY big house

Drjones
10-11-2010, 17:30
Hey guys.

I have a client who has a really, really large home. I have already installed TWO of these: http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Rangemax-WNDR3700-Wireless-N-Gigabit/dp/B002HWRJY4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1286839593&sr=8-4

obviously set one as the primary and the other as a repeater.

He just called & said the signal still isn't reaching into one part of the home and of course that's right where they want to put an additional home office....:upeyes:

Is there any reason that I couldn't install a third one as another repeater, or is there something else we should try?

Thanks

Gun Shark
10-11-2010, 17:33
Pics of the house?

Drjones
10-11-2010, 17:34
You post more pics of the hottie in your avatar and I'll post pics of the house. ;)

IndyGunFreak
10-11-2010, 18:07
http://www.triadsupply.com/products/files/392_shovel.jpg

+

http://www.xiatao-plastic.com/ProductPicture-china/th/Liquid-Tight-Conduit-I-Liquid-Tight-Conduit-I-56-0.jpg

+

http://www.topmedia.nl/catalog/images/CAT6-UTP.jpg

=

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j263/IndyGunFreak/partedmagic/ar123006917860781.jpg

:rofl:

Linux3
10-11-2010, 18:30
This is a little hard to believe. I'm not doubting you but I can't believe the house is all that big.

OK, the standard says the range in doors is 70 meters. Well that's just silly but my Belkin N+ is around 14 meters away and I get very good reception.

If you have a router AND a repeater and loss of signal something else is going wrong.
I see the Netgear uses 2.4 and 5.0 gHz. Maybe wireless phones, 2.4 gHz, are screwing with the signal?
Does the house have metal wall studs rather than wood?

How far away is the router and the repeater?
Is the Netgear a fabulous router only when the clients are usning Netgear well, gear?

Have you tried a different router?

DrugRunR
10-11-2010, 18:34
Can you not run a hardline and put a access point closer to the affected area?
I am not a fan of repeaters

Brigrat
10-11-2010, 18:45
I had to relocate my modem and wireless router to a centrally located part of the house to get coverage all over...is that an option.

ldcarson
10-12-2010, 06:27
Hawkings makes some really good repeters with extra power. I use them in my house and have set them up in a housing complex in past.

http://www.hawkingtech.com/index.php

Good luck.

Pierre!
10-12-2010, 07:20
If it truly is a home office, then wire it.

Wireless is the most certain way to increase your tech support calls 100%, and at some point your client will stop paying you to fix the wireless as it interrupts their business ... if they keep you.

Wireless has it's place in business, but not in critical support roles. Besides, it is significantly slower. Not as bad as it used to be, but the throughput on Win7 to Win7 systems will be *nice* if it's wired.

I like to use this example - How reliable is Wireless Cell phone access? Yah, it works, but it cannot be counted on to work 100% of the time. And now you want me to put THAT into your business?

It's a bad idea...

Hope that helps you out.

Drjones
10-12-2010, 21:23
Thanks for the ideas & advice, but I think I'm gonna keep it wireless, as the client hasn't had any issues with the current setup.

I know what you guys mean about wireless being less reliable than hardline, but honestly, I've not had many problems with it in my experience once it is set up properly.

Anyway, the thing I really want to know is; can I add a third Netgear Router to act as an additional repeater?

Thanks!

Billy10mm
10-26-2010, 19:03
Thanks for the ideas & advice, but I think I'm gonna keep it wireless, as the client hasn't had any issues with the current setup.

I know what you guys mean about wireless being less reliable than hardline, but honestly, I've not had many problems with it in my experience once it is set up properly.

Anyway, the thing I really want to know is; can I add a third Netgear Router to act as an additional repeater?

Thanks!

Yes, you can add as many repeaters as you want. Third, fourth, eighteenth. Now where's our pics of the house dammit?

Drjones
10-27-2010, 10:04
Sorry, not gonna post pics of any clients' house. ;)

However, I was able to solve the problem by purchasing two Apple AirPort Extremes, setting one as the base and the other as the repeater.

I discovered that apparently there is a firmware bug in the Netgears I was trying to use that essentially disables the base/repeater function. :upeyes:

Thanks for the help guys.

filthy infidel
10-27-2010, 10:15
I do have to agree with the hardline options. If the have the $$ for the giant house (and WTH isn't it already cat-6's out the wazoo), then they have the $$ to have the wires fished. Folks with money want convenience, if they have to call you every time the power burps to reset their wireless, you'll get a bad name. I'd push for wiring and a service contract to maintain their business.

Drjones
10-27-2010, 10:20
I do have to agree with the hardline options. If the have the $$ for the giant house (and WTH isn't it already cat-6's out the wazoo), then they have the $$ to have the wires fished. Folks with money want convenience, if they have to call you every time the power burps to reset their wireless, you'll get a bad name. I'd push for wiring and a service contract to maintain their business.

Good point. I am also amazed that the house isn't pre-wired, but it ain't.

If it continues to be a problem, I will definitely tell them to suck it up and wire the place.

Thanks!

podwich
10-28-2010, 18:31
While you seem to have this figured out, I'll just interject one thing: consider the building materials. I have a log home (about 2000 sq. ft. in size) and I am unable to cover the entire home with one wireless router as a portion of the home is an add-on that is outside the original log structure. The foot-thick logs block the wireless signal pretty darn well.

mesteve2
10-28-2010, 18:58
I went to a Linksky...

njl
11-02-2010, 20:10
Another option worth considering in these cases is HD-PLC, which lets you run fast ethernet (not quite at 100mbit) over the house's electrical wiring. You can have several of these strategically placed throughout the house and hang switches or WIFI APs off them. I'm using a combination of HD-PLC and WIFI.