CBC Headstamp Brass problems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CBC Headstamp Brass problems

AF-Odin
10-11-2010, 19:08
Been loading up a pile of range practice loads in .45 ACP using mixed brass (my own which has been loaded lots plus a bunch of range pick-ups). Using CCI Large Pistol Primers on a Dillon 550. All of the brass seems to flow through the loading process fairly smoothly except the pick-up brass with the CBC headstamp. Even the Amerc, Aguila, "I", S&B, Federal, Winchester, and USGI (some dating back to the 60s). All take the primer and move on. the CBC acts like it has a crimp in the primer pocket--tried to trim out with the handy pocket knife just like I did years ago on the USGI, but could not seem to get enough of the primer pocket open--does this stuff perchance take a small primer? Currently have culled out about 100 rounds of the CBC as I was deforming the primers trying to seat them and did not want to waste the primers trying to use this brass.

Anyone else have problems with the CBC brass? Who made this stuff?

WiskyT
10-11-2010, 19:16
Magtech. I don't know if it has small primer pockets, but standard small primer pockets are noticably smaller. Find a piece of 9mm brass and you'll see what I mean. I was going to suggest crimped primers, but it looks like you covered that.

I only load small primers, and I rarely have a problem, but I do find more smashed primers with CCI. I've loaded a couple thousand Magtech small pistol primers in several calibers and had no issues.

Check the fit of the brass in the shell plate. The brass should be a little loose so it will wiggle a bit. If it's a tight fit, it won't slide into the shell plate all the way and will crush a primer since it's not perfectly lined up. I got some 32ACP brass I picked up off the floor that had burs on the rim from the extractor. Even on a single stage I had to make completely sure they were all the way in the shell holder or the primer wouldn't fit. The CBC brass you got might have been shot in a gun that was beating up the rim.

Zombie Steve
10-11-2010, 19:25
Not sure... I've loaded a bunch of CBC in .45 and haven't had a problem.

ron59
10-11-2010, 19:36
I can't say I've had problems with CBC in 9mm, but that's not exactly apples-to-apples.

sicbstrd
10-11-2010, 19:51
i have lots of CBC in.45 and actually prefer in over lots of other stuff. but i load my 45 on a single stage press because i dont shoot alot of it. it shines up nice too, so even if i shoot bad atleast my ammo is purdy. :)

jayhuh
10-11-2010, 19:56
I've had problems with CBC and Amerc brass with my Dillon 550. If I find that I've picked up either of these brands at the range, they go back to the range monkeys.

freakshow10mm
10-11-2010, 22:42
CBC has had primer pocket dimension problems in the past.

jbrown13
10-12-2010, 16:27
In 9mm and 38 Special CBC (Magtech) brass goes into the scrap bucket. IMHO it is worthless for reloading. Can't comment on other calibers, but my guess is it all junk.

dudel
10-12-2010, 16:53
I've got some CBC, not much; but what there is works fine. I tend to use small lots for working up loads. If the brass get's lost, it's no biggie.

LoadedTech
10-12-2010, 16:54
I've had CBC issues with .38 spl. They wouldn't fit into my shell holder properly on my hand press, so I ditched them too. No problems priming them if they actually fit the shell holder.

CitizenOfDreams
10-12-2010, 17:38
In 9mm and 38 Special CBC (Magtech) brass goes into the scrap bucket. IMHO it is worthless for reloading.

9mm CBC brass works fine for me with 115gr FMJ bullets. Does not work with longer 147gr bullets. Primes fine, no worse than any other brass.

WiskyT
10-12-2010, 17:39
I ahve a couple hundred CBC in 38Spl and they work fine.

bamacisa
10-12-2010, 18:20
I have reloaded lots of CBC cases......never had a problem.

trlcavscout
10-12-2010, 20:31
My CBC .40 S&W has crimps, so it went in the rainy day when hell freezes over I will mess with it pile. Course I picked up like 100rds of FC brass at the outdoor range that also has crimps, it went in the same pile.

ilgunguygt
10-12-2010, 20:40
I have a large amount of 45 colt CBC brass, and have no problems at all. Well, the only problem I have is that I want more of it. Its been some of the most durable brass I have ever reloaded, though all 45 colt takes a good beating.

jbrown13
10-13-2010, 08:54
9mm CBC brass works fine for me with 115gr FMJ bullets. Does not work with longer 147gr bullets. Primes fine, no worse than any other brass.

Thinking back, I think you are right about the CBC 9mm brass. My problems didn't arise until I switched from Montana Gold 115 FMJ to 124 JHP.

Hound_dogs_01
10-13-2010, 09:20
I have found the CBC bras to be about .002" thinner than any other brass I've measured. I've been have alot of problems with it not being strong enough brass to hold the taper crimp.

Alex

TonyT
10-14-2010, 07:11
I lonly use Federal and Winchester primers but have not experienced any difficulties using CBC/Magtech brass with my Dillon 550.

ron59
10-14-2010, 10:21

Interesting. I only shoot 147gr MG CMJs, and don't recall having issues with CBC.

I don't have tons of it, but I visually inspect all my brass after tumbling and before loading (making sure I don't have any .380 in there, looking for splits, and also to discard some of the junk brass i don't like)... and know I've loaded quite a few CBC over the last year.

Glock21sf-miami
10-14-2010, 21:26
I have a bunch of CBC I still have to run on my LNL. I just hope it's not a repeat of S&B bass.... after reaming primers, cases lost neck tension on 3rd load.