New Dillon BL 550 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Dillon BL 550

EL_NinO619
10-11-2010, 22:25
I think it stands for "Broke Loser" so i might be in line for a new press Boys. I think i could slowly build it up, and use what i have for now. Will different Powder throwers work on it, And Lee dies? I have to add $80 for the auto prime. Or should i just wait and buy the complete package, they are about the same if you piece them out. It just puts a smile on my face to think i am only $250 dollars away from the end of the ridicule.:supergrin:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25792/catid/1/BL_550_Basic_Loader

fredj338
10-11-2010, 22:28
I wouldn't piece it together, just buy the complete 550B. Yes, the Lee dies will work, but you might want to change the lock rings. You can get an adapter for other powder measures, not sure if the Lee will work.

Boxerglocker
10-11-2010, 22:45
Just save up a little more and go with the RL 550B. I agree with Fred, go with the press, with Dillon powder drop and dillon lock rings using your Lee dies. Buy it from Brian Enos you'll save and get free on the shipping if you spend $400 which is the cost of the press alone. Regardless of what others may think the spare parts IMHO is a must purchase, $16.95 spent now will save alot of agrevation should something go down the night before you are loading for a match. Dillon will always replace what you use with a phone call the day after.

EL_NinO619
10-11-2010, 23:00
Ya i think you guys are right. Piecing it out would mean extra shipping. I just got a little excited when XD txt me about a cheap dillon. I just want a new toy..Darn economy. I will sell my soul like jack and get a 1050 some day..LOL. Plus i am kinda digging those dillon dies, very well crafted..

Boxerglocker
10-11-2010, 23:32
Ya i think you guys are right. Piecing it out would mean extra shipping. I just got a little excited when XD txt me about a cheap dillon. I just want a new toy..Darn economy. I will sell my soul like jack and get a 1050 some day..LOL. Plus i am kinda digging those dillon dies, very well crafted..

I agree and have to say that I too am impressed by the Dillon dies. I nearly upgraded to the entire Redding Competition line but really all I want/need is the micrometer seating die capability. A 9mm dedicated 650, crimp is crimp so that will never change. The easy disassembly feature for cleaning of the sizing decapping dies is a great too.

ColdShot
10-12-2010, 04:44
How u gonna prime ? IMO the press is solid as a rock,I got one a few weeks ago
For me the perfect 550 does not use the Dillon powder charger though,I ditched the one that came with my press as I find it to be less than stellar in accuracy and design
so I use another brand ..Dillon dies are the best I have seen yet but the lock rings are a bit touchy trying to move them in small amounts with a wrench is not as easy as a Lee with a knob.....My fav press is Red,Blue and Green LOL

shotgunred
10-12-2010, 04:53
The Dillon powder charger throws very consistently. It maybe not the very best powder charge system but it is good enough for 98% of us. With the powders I use for pistol it has never creeped off the charge and is very consistent.

ColdShot
10-12-2010, 04:59
The Dillon powder charger throws very consistently. It maybe not the very best powder charge system but it is good enough for 98% of us. With the powders I use for pistol it has never creeped off the charge and is very consistent.
I must have a bad one then,I cant get my POS to do anything right
I dont see how it could be one of the best though,its not very smooth going up and down but for me loads are all over the place with
Unique and Universal so far,I may try again or I may sell it and never look back.....Im not sure yet
It was for me the least impressive part of the package for me

shotgunred
10-12-2010, 05:05
I dont see how it could be one of the best though,its not very smooth going up and down but for me loads are all over the place with
Unique and Universal so far,I may try again or I may sell it and never look back.....Im not sure yet

My ego is not attached to my press. I use PP, WSF, WST. tight Group, AA5 and a couple of others for my AR. My checks in the middle of the session have always been spot on. I certianly think they could improve the adjustment screw. I put a floweret on mine to make it easier. (steve tip). If you decide to sell it I am sure someone here will grab it.

Good luck to ya.

Boxerglocker
10-12-2010, 06:53

I agree with Shotgun, beauty is it's a Dillon just give them a call, tell them your problem and chances are real good the resilution will arrive to you doorstep a few short days later. :supergrin:

Colorado4Wheel
10-12-2010, 06:59
No reason to buy a stripped down frame of a 550 when you really want the 550B. You could use the Lee Powder measure (or any powder measure that charges the case and flares at the same time). If it doesn't flare and charge at the same time it's going to hinder your die setup a little. You will have to seat and crimp at the same time.

As far as the Dillon powder measure being a poor performer. Thats just not true. No powder measure does great with Unique. Universal works fine in the Dillon. My Dillon will throw Unique consistent if I do the right things.

ron59
10-12-2010, 10:09

I've used Solo 1000, TiteGroup, WSF, and have had NO problems with any of them being VERY consistent.

Unique is *known* to not meter well in many measures... I think because it is a "flake" powder as opposed to a "ball shaped" powder? I read about Unique not metering well and have avoided it. The thing is... this is not special to Dillon's powder measure:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=79437

http://www.thehighroad.us/archive/index.php/t-257006.html

Here's a post that mentions "flake" powders metering poorly in general:
http://forum.pafoa.org/ammunition-reloading-25/112646-40-cal-reloading-question.html

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419298

Simply do a Google for "unique powder measures poorly", and just see how many results you get.

Don't blame the Dillon powder measure. Blame the powder. :whistling:

albyihat
10-12-2010, 10:16
coldshot i will buy your powder measure need another for new toolhead anyway. pm me

GioaJack
10-12-2010, 10:26
Seems strange that people have been using a bunch of Unique for well over 50 years without any problems. Huh, maybe I'm in a drug induced haze and I'm just not remembering correctly.

Jack

ColdShot
10-12-2010, 12:03
I have no issues with Unique.......Actually it was Universal I was using that was metering
poorly for me and I have the blue tuning wheel,that was the first thing I bought,I cant for the life of me think why they would want u to use a wrench? Im not sure what shape Hodgons stuff is considered but it meters fine in my ole cheapo powder hopper...
I have a few tricks to try before I toss in the towel

fredj338
10-12-2010, 13:09
I have no issues with Unique.......Actually it was Universal I was using that was metering
poorly for me and I have the blue tuning wheel,that was the first thing I bought,I cant for the life of me think why they would want u to use a wrench? Im not sure what shape Hodgons stuff is considered but it meters fine in my ole cheapo powder hopper...
I have a few tricks to try before I toss in the towel
That's odd, most will tell you Universal meters better than Unique. Adjust the powder return so it is snug, polish the interior of the measure & mine runs Unique w/ 0.1gr accuracy. Good enough for 99.9% of my measuring needs. The Dillon doesn't work well for me w/ stick powders, but that is easy, just don't use stick powders in it.:supergrin:
BTW, the idea behind the wrench is set it & forget it. It really can't come out of adjustment. The micro adjustment by Unitek is very nice, I just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.

Kainam
10-12-2010, 13:50

I added a micrometer adjuster to my powder measures. Available from http://www.uniquetek.com/

http://www.moviephotoforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCN0972.JPG

Colorado4Wheel
10-12-2010, 15:31
Seems strange that people have been using a bunch of Unique for well over 50 years without any problems. Huh, maybe I'm in a drug induced haze and I'm just not remembering correctly.

Jack

Yeah, but your content with how it meters. It's not a perfect metering powder for most people. You don't get hung up on the little crap that drives some people nuts. It worked find for Zombie on my 550. Better then the .2 gr I hear people banter about.

Boxerglocker
10-12-2010, 15:36
I added a micrometer adjuster to my powder measures. Available from http://www.uniquetek.com/

Mine should be here any day now... Got the spreadsheet from uniquetex emailed to me today, can't wait...new toy for the new toy! :drool:

Colorado4Wheel
10-12-2010, 15:38
If you are installing it yourself. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. Which of course means you should probably read them as well.

Boxerglocker
10-12-2010, 15:44
If you are installing it yourself. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. Which of course means you should probably read them as well.

Already have a couple of times. I'm ready :supergrin:

Colorado4Wheel
10-12-2010, 15:57
For those that don't know, They are a little scary because you can ruin the part if not done right.

Kainam
10-12-2010, 16:00
Heres a pictorial for you.... just incase you get bored reading the instructions. lol

Small powder bar as it comes from Dillon with a bolt to adjust powder measure.
http://www.moviephotoforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCN0978.JPG

Dissasembled large Dillon powder bar.
http://www.moviephotoforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCN0983.JPG

Used a bore brush to clean the teflon coating off of the surfaces where the micrometer adjuster will bond to with locktite.
http://www.moviephotoforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCN0985.JPG

Let the locktite cure.
http://www.moviephotoforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCN0987.JPG

All finished. Its not zeroed in this pic, but I have it adjusted so that when the charge bar is in its minimum charge position, the micrometer is zeroed out.

Now I can make precise powder adjustments and keep a log of settings for various loadings and be able to adjust to those settings without having to guess how much to turn the bolt on the stock setup.

Boxerglocker
10-12-2010, 16:29
Heres a pictorial for you.... just incase you get bored reading the instructions. lol

Very cool, thank you!

DrugRunR
10-12-2010, 16:51
Congrats on the new purchase.

For a little less money you can go this route
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/53/53191b84-8426-4c86-a47e-fa4cecd5d7fd_300.jpg

Crown Bolt 5/16 in. White Flowerette Knob

Model # 83918
Store SKU # 581113

$1.50/EA-Each

The Crown Bolt 5/16 in. White Flowerette Knob attaches to a nut for an easy way to create handle/knob assemblies.

* Plastic material
* White finish
* Allows for finger tightening
* Provides an easy way to create handle/knob assemblies
* MFG Brand Name : Crown Bolt
* MFG Model # : 83918
* MFG Part # : 83918

HOME DEPOT LINK (http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bath-Hardware-Bath-Accessories-Pulls-Knobs/Crown-Bolt/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg1Zaq1hZ1z10qikZ1z8/R-100149611/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

It is a little tight but goes on with a little tap.

If you can't located it or don't have a Homedepot there then let me know.
I can get you some for whatever it cost me plus shipping. Exact cost, no profit for me

DrugRunR
10-12-2010, 16:52
I will snap a picture later if you want....

Colorado4Wheel
10-12-2010, 16:54
Not the same thing at all. Micrometer is repeatable and has much finer threads to make small adjustments more precise.

Boxerglocker
10-12-2010, 17:00
Congrats on the new purchase.

For a little less money you can go this route
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/53/53191b84-8426-4c86-a47e-fa4cecd5d7fd_300.jpg

Crown Bolt 5/16 in. White Flowerette Knob

Model # 83918
Store SKU # 581113

$1.50/EA-Each

The Crown Bolt 5/16 in. White Flowerette Knob attaches to a nut for an easy way to create handle/knob assemblies.

* Plastic material
* White finish
* Allows for finger tightening
* Provides an easy way to create handle/knob assemblies
* MFG Brand Name : Crown Bolt
* MFG Model # : 83918
* MFG Part # : 83918

HOME DEPOT LINK (http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bath-Hardware-Bath-Accessories-Pulls-Knobs/Crown-Bolt/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg1Zaq1hZ1z10qikZ1z8/R-100149611/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

It is a little tight but goes on with a little tap.

If you can't located it or don't have a Homedepot there then let me know.
I can get you some for whatever it cost me plus shipping. Exact cost, no profit for me

Tell me something I don't know... I had those on both both my SDBs (Dillon blue) and though they are useful for turning the adjustment nut without a wrench, that's about all they are good for.
The purpose of the venier micromter scale isn't to just adjust the drop but to do so with a much greater degree of accuracy know how much is required to reach a specific charge. It can come in very useful when using different powders of various consitencies for load developement.

DrugRunR
10-12-2010, 17:04
Your correct. But for most reloaders, you don't make constant changes. You set it and let it be.
I have been loading for 20 years.
Basically I set up the powder measure and don't change it until I change calibers.
I have 3 powder measures, one for each caliber I load (right now) so basically I never change the settings and if I do its just a small change.

Boxerglocker
10-12-2010, 17:08
Your correct. But for most reloaders, you don't make constant changes. You set it and let it be.
Basically I set up the powder measure and don't change it until I change calibers.
I have 3 powder measures, one for each caliber I load (right now) so basically I never change the settings and if I do its just a small change.

True most do... but as a stated before it can come in very useful when using different powders of various consitencies for load developement.
One of my reasons for getting it, the other being it's a cool toy to have :supergrin:

Colorado4Wheel
10-12-2010, 17:08

I sold my extra powder measure when I got the dial. No need for it when it's easier to just dial in the same setting using the dial. It was cheaper like that plus, when you do change things it's nice to use the dial.

GioaJack
10-12-2010, 17:13
Yeah, but your content with how it meters. It's not a perfect metering powder for most people. You don't get hung up on the little crap that drives some people nuts. It worked find for Zombie on my 550. Better then the .2 gr I hear people banter about.

Stevie... you've know me now for what, a year and a half, do I strike you as the kind of guy who demands perfection?

I talk to you, don't I. :whistling:

Jack

GioaJack
10-12-2010, 17:17
You guys are taking this 'new toy' kick way too far. It's a sign of a sick mind... ya'll need to learn to be happy with what you have and quit spending money needlessly. :whistling:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
10-12-2010, 17:20
Stevie... you've know me now for what, a year and a half, do I strike you as the kind of guy who demands perfection?

I talk to you, don't I. :whistling:

Jack

Thats all I am saying. BUT, I did get you to measure the flare on a case the other day. So that is progress.

Bello
10-12-2010, 17:21
how do you prime on that press with no auto priming system looks like a regular old classic cast single stage to me

GioaJack
10-12-2010, 17:22
Thats all I am saying. BUT, I did get you to measure the flare on a case the other day. So that is progress.

I was under the influence of drugs... very strong drugs.

Jack

shotgunred
10-12-2010, 17:23
You guys are taking this 'new toy' kick way too far. It's a sign of a sick mind... ya'll need to learn to be happy with what you have and quit spending money needlessly. :whistling:

Jack

If your not careful it might almost kill you.

Boxerglocker
10-12-2010, 17:29

Jack

That's like the pot calling the kettle black :upeyes:

Colorado4Wheel
10-12-2010, 17:38
Seriously, he almost got away with that.