USB connections (2.0 vs ...) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : USB connections (2.0 vs ...)

Green_Manelishi
10-12-2010, 11:45
Is there a way to tell, visually, which of the 8 (yes, 8; two in front, 6 on back) USB are 2.0?

I recently connected an external drive and was informed it would work better/faster if I connected it to a V2.0. The manual is no help because it is one of those generic manuals that covers only the default hardware. And to answer the obvious question; I purchase a demo model "as is" and it came with all sorts of stuff that I can't even use cause the techs were simply throwing items, like wireless mouse, power cables, etc. in a box.

I have no complaints with the hardware, I'd just like to know.

ETA: I think I have the answer. According to the device manager only two of the 8 are "enhanced" so therefore only two are USB 2.0(?) The two on the front have "fine print" stating 2.0. Of course, connecting an external drive to the FRONT is going to be inconvenient, to say the least.

GIockGuy24
10-12-2010, 15:15
USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 use different controller chipsets. It would be odd to have both on the same motherboard. Does the computer have a separate USB card? (PCI, etc)

Green_Manelishi
10-12-2010, 15:40
USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 use different controller chipsets. It would be odd to have both on the same motherboard. Does the computer have a separate USB card? (PCI, etc)

I am unable to look at it at this time (I am away from it) but that is likely. Four of the six on the back are located in the area the manual has labelled as an "expansion" area.

I'm not worried if the six on the back are not V2.0. I only wanted, from curiousity standpoint, to know where the V2s are located.

Adjuster
10-21-2010, 14:25
Your computer should be all 1.1 or all 2.0. For it to be mixed would be extremely unusual unless someone has done some modifications. Anything built within the last 5yrs or so is going to be 2.0.

Adjuster
10-21-2010, 14:26
If you have a newer usb thumb drive plug it into each port. You will get the warning from the operating system if you plug it into an older 1.1 port.

Ralff
10-21-2010, 21:37
Isn't 2.0 backwards compatible? Seems strange for someone to even use a USB card unless they're really lacking ports.

RenegadeGlocker
10-21-2010, 22:02
USB 1.x is old and slow as mud. Not likely you have 1.1. Copy a file, do the math. if is faster than 12mb/s, it is 2.0.

My USB 2.0 gets 30 MB/s. my USB 3.0 is over 125 MB/s. Pretty easy to tell which is which.

2wheelDuke
10-22-2010, 21:36
Your computer should be all 1.1 or all 2.0. For it to be mixed would be extremely unusual unless someone has done some modifications. Anything built within the last 5yrs or so is going to be 2.0.

My old HP is about 4 years old now. I've 3 USB ports on the front, and only one of them doesn't give the "low speed" warning when I plug a thumbdrive in.