930 SPX Stock question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 930 SPX Stock question

hogarth
10-12-2010, 19:02
Hi all,

I've got a 590A1 but am starting to develop interest in the 930 SPX (Damn you Mixflip!!!). I read somewhere that the stock for this shotgun (the type that includes the pistol grip) has some sort of "spacers" that allow for some adjustment. Does this "adjustment" include changing the length of pull? I mainly ask b/c I'm a little guy (5'5, 145) and currently use a short Hogue stock on my 590A1, and worry that the stock on the 930 SPX will be uncomfortably long. Thanks!

O'DubhGhaill
10-13-2010, 12:51
The spacers (three of them with corresponding metal plate came with my SP 930 SPX) adjust comb, but not enough, at least for me, to get a good, natural sight picture without a 1/4" strap on cheek piece. The stock is typically Mossberg-long, 14". They offer an SPX that features a Choate pistol grip stock that is 13"LOP, but I just don't like a pistol grip on my Mossbergs. Good luck.

hogarth
10-13-2010, 16:22
Yes, well, I'm more interested in the pistol grip version anyway.....13" LOP might work for me...I think my current one (which is a non-pistol grip stock on my 590A1) is 12".

TexasNativeDRJH
10-13-2010, 22:10
Not sure if there is a way to shorten the conventional stock, but I'd try that before using the Choate pg stock. That thing is fugly IMO

hogarth
10-14-2010, 16:17
Anyone have an actual answer? So far, I've got one answer about the "regular" stock, and one about the aesthetics of the pistol grip type. Anyone else?

mixflip
10-14-2010, 20:00
Hi all,

I've got a 590A1 but am starting to develop interest in the 930 SPX (Damn you Mixflip!!!).

Lol, your welcome!

As mentioned it will come with spacers for minor adjustments for comb angle. I have heard the pistol grip stock is slightly shorter than the standard stock but I cant verify that since I dont own a standard one.

I think there is a guy on shotgunworld.com that sanded down his buttstock to the shortest possible length and reattached the rubber pad?

Other than that I really cant help on LOP questions?

hogarth
10-15-2010, 04:16
Thanks mixflip. I know somewhere in the stock is the buffer tube, right (?), so there's only SO short it can be made to be. I was just wondering if it could be made much shorter. Thanks a lot. Love your vids!

ScrappyDoo
10-15-2010, 04:54
I got the conventional stock because A- NJ doesn't allow PG semi shotguns, and b- that's what they had. But I am not very much bigger than you and I'm good with it. Just remember the tang-mounted safety on Mossbergs do not do well with a PG stock...

DarkBlade1000RR
10-15-2010, 06:15
Hi all,

I've got a 590A1 but am starting to develop interest in the 930 SPX (Damn you Mixflip!!!). I read somewhere that the stock for this shotgun (the type that includes the pistol grip) has some sort of "spacers" that allow for some adjustment. Does this "adjustment" include changing the length of pull? I mainly ask b/c I'm a little guy (5'5, 145) and currently use a short Hogue stock on my 590A1, and worry that the stock on the 930 SPX will be uncomfortably long. Thanks!

I second the "Damn you Mixflip" comment! LOL!!!:rofl: I'm picking up the Choate PG as I believe its' the same one they install on the OEM version:

http://www.choatemachinetool.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?Product_CatalogID=2961&ProductNumber=02-01-40&ProductCode=23&ProductSubCodeID=152&NewProduct=0&recordno=1

Once I order this and start the install process and see how much of an adjustment there really is....

mixflip
10-15-2010, 10:34
Yeah, there isnt much you can trim off due to the buffer tube. I think its less than an inch?

hogarth
10-15-2010, 13:58
I got the conventional stock because A- NJ doesn't allow PG semi shotguns, and b- that's what they had. But I am not very much bigger than you and I'm good with it. Just remember the tang-mounted safety on Mossbergs do not do well with a PG stock...

True about the safety location. I have a 590A1 so I am used to it, though it has the conventional stock. I used to think of this is a big issue, but now my thinking is just how much am I going to be manipulating that safety? If something seems serious enough that I've grabbed the shotty, then off comes the safety and then it's off until whatever is going on is over. Everything in between is just safe gun handling. There's something about a semi-auto that the PG stock just makes more sense to me. Not sure why. It just seems to make sense. Thanks all!

ScrappyDoo
10-15-2010, 16:43
True about the safety location. I have a 590A1 so I am used to it, though it has the conventional stock. I used to think of this is a big issue, but now my thinking is just how much am I going to be manipulating that safety? If something seems serious enough that I've grabbed the shotty, then off comes the safety and then it's off until whatever is going on is over. Everything in between is just safe gun handling. There's something about a semi-auto that the PG stock just makes more sense to me. Not sure why. It just seems to make sense. Thanks all!

I hear ya, I lucked into my 930 SPX and it has conventional . Then I got the Benelli Supernova with a PG stock and to me, best of both worlds. the Mossberg with Tang safety and the Benelli had the PG but the big trigger guard so your hand fits easy. I wound up selling the Supernova because i *DIDNT* get the Tactical version, I got the more expensive tactical "turkey" version and it was just too damn big for me. So I dumped it and then came close to buying a 590A1, then had my eyes on SEVERAL different Mossberg 590/590A1 models, then literally walked away from one at the last minute cause I was thinking I really wanted the Supernova Tactical, then never bought another because I was undecided.

I will probably go back and get the Benelli SNT, it just FEELS awesome and it's less than $500, and you can pick the PG Stock or the ComfortTech recoil-reducing conventional stock. But the same reason I had to dump the 24" Turkey gun is the same reason everyone gets different shotguns: Boomsticks are a very personal type of weapon, and need to be perfect for each person... Whatever makes you most comfortable! IMHO that is of course