First 40 loads went down range finally [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First 40 loads went down range finally

trlcavscout
10-12-2010, 20:48
Perfect cloudy kinda chilly morning! Took 250rds of 40 out for a test. 3.5gr titegroup, 180gr, 1.13 OAL. I shot like crap on paper out to 25 but the steel plates were fun at 12 yds. I had some primer problems on the "I" brass I used first, couldnt get some to seat and had a few primers break? Then I got to the blazer and speer brass and it was smooth sailing. Gonna load up 1k of win brass for next weekend for some fun.

Question on the "gamer load" above, what is the primer of choice? I am useing up the Federal primers I had, but I am gonna be picking more up this weekend.

Boxerglocker
10-12-2010, 21:01
Any primer will work for that load. I loaded a little shorter at 1.125 OAL. That TG load with 180g in .40 is pretty sweet... almost too soft though. You can get the same recoil pulse in a 147g 9mm which is cheaper. I gave up the .40 cause of ecomomics. The gamer load thing no longer appeals to me that much prefer a slightly bumped load of 135-140 Pf with a 9mm 124g bullet these days... I like the way the sights snap back faster due to the velocity of the slide. To each his own though.

PCJim
10-12-2010, 21:29
You didn't say whether they were lead or jacketed. I just tested some 180gr JHPs with TG (4.3 and 4.5gr) as well as some with loadings using W231, WSF and Unique. The Unique loads actually "seemed" more comfortable with average velocities of 875fps. A little slow, but comfortable. I'll be retesting them under less stressful conditions in the next couple of weeks, making sure I'm not running up against the closing hour of the local range.

Boxerglocker
10-12-2010, 21:46
You didn't say whether they were lead or jacketed. I just tested some 180gr JHPs with TG (4.3 and 4.5gr) as well as some with loadings using W231, WSF and Unique. The Unique loads actually "seemed" more comfortable with average velocities of 875fps. A little slow, but comfortable. I'll be retesting them under less stressful conditions in the next couple of weeks, making sure I'm not running up against the closing hour of the local range.

I'm pretty sure he's using a jacketed, going for a IDPA "Gamers" load, only needing to make 730Fps to be legal for Pf with 5% cushion.

Your load is about a 100 Fps shy of making major Pf...963 to have some cushion.

trlcavscout
10-12-2010, 22:26
I used Berry's plated. The only comp I shoot is GSSF. I just want something fun and easy to shoot. I also use the G22 for work so I get plenty of range time with hotter loads. I just like to go out and plink with the milder stuff, makes me feel like I'm shooting a 9mm again :supergrin: I will start playing with different 40 loads, maybe try other powders. This was my first time loading 40.

shotgunred
10-13-2010, 04:53
Have you chronographed that load?

I prefer Winchester primers as they are soft and reliable. That being said I will use anything but wolf/tula.

32dgrz
10-13-2010, 05:25
Any primer will work for that load.

Just a note regarding Remington Primers. From Remington Lit.

Within every Remington primer is a group of subcomponents assembled to exceptionally tight tolerances. Primer cup dimensions are controlled to .0001", and the priming mix is specially formulated for consistent ignition with a wide variety of powder types. Primers are tested for reliability from -20 degrees F to +150 degrees F. The unique tripod anvil design creates a larger strike area with maximum sensitivity, even with off center firing pin strikes.

Special Note:
These primers are NOT recommended for loading 357 Sig or 40 S&W

LoadedTech
10-13-2010, 05:34
Congrats on your first .40 loads. They sound like my 4.0 w231 loads, very soft shooting, almost not fun. I have used Federal primers without issues, just picked up another brick a few weeks ago.

fredj338
10-13-2010, 10:12
Just a note regarding Remington Primers. From Remington Lit.

Within every Remington primer is a group of subcomponents assembled to exceptionally tight tolerances. Primer cup dimensions are controlled to .0001", and the priming mix is specially formulated for consistent ignition with a wide variety of powder types. Primers are tested for reliability from -20 degrees F to +150 degrees F. The unique tripod anvil design creates a larger strike area with maximum sensitivity, even with off center firing pin strikes.

Special Note:

You know I have read that, but they don't say why you can reload them in high pressure 9mm or 357mag but not 357sig or 40? Me thinks their lawyers are working overtime.:tongueout: All boxer primers are made the same way, compunds may vary, but construction hasn't changed in 100+yrs, ask Jack.:supergrin: I would & have happily used all the brands, in all cartridges (some 11 diff handgun) but shy away from Wolf/Tula.

32dgrz
10-14-2010, 18:32
You know I have read that, but they don't say why you can reload them in high pressure 9mm or 357mag but not 357sig or 40? Me thinks their lawyers are working overtime.:tongueout: All boxer primers are made the same way, compunds may vary, but construction hasn't changed in 100+yrs, ask Jack.:supergrin: I would & have happily used all the brands, in all cartridges (some 11 diff handgun) but shy away from Wolf/Tula.
I'm with you but ya know in the sue happy work. CYA for those posting.
I never thought about asking Jack about that.
Your right I remember reading something about Jack being there in the transition from flint locks to percussion caps .

WiskyT
10-14-2010, 18:48
Special Note:

I wonder what primers Remington uses for their factory 40 and 357 Sig loads.

Daryl in Az
10-14-2010, 19:13
I wonder what primers Remington uses for their factory 40 and 357 Sig loads.

I was wondering the same thing.

Daryl

shotgunred
10-14-2010, 21:18
They could be hanging themselves out ti dry on that one.:tongueout: